Photos! My New Hamster! - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Gerbil & Hamster Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all things gerbil or hamster related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 35 (permalink) Old 07-12-2011, 10:18 PM Thread Starter
Mouse Obsessor

Talking My New Hamster!

Meet my first hamster since I was 10 years old.
His name was Speedy but I have renamed him Hannibal (like Hannibal Hamlin, not Hannibal Lecter).
He right now is in the cage I got him in, which is a 10 gallon, I did not want to stress him more so I will give him a bigger cage when he is settled.
I had to buy him a wheel, as he only came with a food dish, igloo, and a water bottle. I also gave him a bunch of treats and some things to chew on.
I was told before arriving there that he was a teddy bear hamster, but he obviously is not. I am not that knowledgable with hamster types. I think he is a Campbells (please correct me if I am wrong). I was also told he is 1 year old.

He is soo tame too! Right when I brought him home even he greeted me and wanted me to hold him. And I fed him out of my hand.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Pets:

1 Rat: (Ace)
1 RC Hamster: (Hannibal)
3 Cats: (Tao, Drew, Jak-ke)
2 Ferrets: (Fisher, Georgie)
1 Betta: (Maxwell) + (5 Platies and 1 Molly)
Rest in peace all my little Mice: Tempo, Aaron, Tatiana, Pei, Shi, Orange, Spotty, Lee Hyun, Key, Calvin, Chun, Jiro, Hero...
And my past Dookers: Lulu (my heart), Frodo (my old man), MoneyPennies (the first one), ect...
Aswell as all my lost Cats (my beloved Haru, ect..) and Bettas (Stahl the creepy one, ect..)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 35 (permalink) Old 07-12-2011, 10:21 PM Thread Starter
Mouse Obsessor

Also, he does not look it in the pictures but he has white feet and a white throat, with a white stripe down his belly. And his back has a black stripe and is a mottled black and white kind of look.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Pets:

Rest in peace all my little Mice: Tempo, Aaron, Tatiana, Pei, Shi, Orange, Spotty, Lee Hyun, Key, Calvin, Chun, Jiro, Hero...
And my past Dookers: Lulu (my heart), Frodo (my old man), MoneyPennies (the first one), ect...
Aswell as all my lost Cats (my beloved Haru, ect..) and Bettas (Stahl the creepy one, ect..)
post #3 of 35 (permalink) Old 07-12-2011, 10:31 PM
Zoo Keeper

he is ww or rc ... possibly both. that wheel is perfect great choice I would get him some tunnels and puzzle playgrounds and chew things.

Dont give him treats he is diabetes prone that includes the treat stick in there. I would also test him for that just order diastix ketostix Very nice job its adorable. I can also help with sexing

Proud Mommy to-
Cat: Emma
Rats: Apollo, Yuki, Ember, Mei
Hamsters: Kodi, Bear, Koda, Abbi

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 35 (permalink) Old 07-12-2011, 10:44 PM Thread Starter
Mouse Obsessor

Oh ok, I will remove the seed bar.
What kind of tubes should I get?
And are there any treats that are safe to give him?

My Pets:

post #5 of 35 (permalink) Old 07-12-2011, 10:46 PM
Zoo Keeper

I do not give Kodi any because of his being diabetes prone if he is negative now and then he can be given a treat with a little sugar. Most veggies are safe

Any tubes you can find are fine. with his size it doesnt matter

Proud Mommy to-

post #6 of 35 (permalink) Old 07-12-2011, 10:53 PM Thread Starter
Mouse Obsessor

What about chew things? My mice always hated wood bars.
I do have these tiny toilet paper looking rolls but they are really thick with many layers, the grocery store gave them to me (they are used with those bags people put produce in). Would those work as chews?

My Pets:

post #7 of 35 (permalink) Old 07-12-2011, 10:58 PM
Zoo Keeper

toilet paper tubes cardboard paper drink carriers

hmm he may chew them you can try

Proud Mommy to-

post #8 of 35 (permalink) Old 07-12-2011, 11:09 PM Thread Starter
Mouse Obsessor

Thanks!
I just removed the seed bar and gave him a piece of broccoli. When I put my hand in there he looked up all excited and once he saw the broccoli he reached his little hands up and took it from me then ran away. lol

My Pets:

post #9 of 35 (permalink) Old 07-12-2011, 11:13 PM
Zoo Keeper

aww cute

Does he have a ball?

Proud Mommy to-

post #10 of 35 (permalink) Old 07-12-2011, 11:18 PM Thread Starter
Mouse Obsessor

You mean the one they run around the house in? Yeah, he came with one of those. According to his last owner he likes to run in the yard in it.

My Pets:

post #11 of 35 (permalink) Old 07-12-2011, 11:22 PM
Zoo Keeper

yeah dont let him out in it more than 15 mins at a time though

Also careful they are VERY fast. if you are afraid to touch him put his ball down in front of him and see if he walks in

Proud Mommy to-

post #12 of 35 (permalink) Old 07-12-2011, 11:25 PM Thread Starter
Mouse Obsessor

I know, I could never leave my mice out for long either.
I have heard they are fast. So far though he is letting me get near him. He even let my husband pick him up earlier.

My Pets:

post #13 of 35 (permalink) Old 07-12-2011, 11:27 PM
Zoo Keeper

aww He is thankful for a good home

Proud Mommy to-

post #14 of 35 (permalink) Old 07-12-2011, 11:34 PM Thread Starter
Mouse Obsessor

Right now he is in a ball underneath his water bottle.
He is very tired from the move.
I am going to try to hold him tomorrow. Is there a good time of day to try?

My Pets:

post #15 of 35 (permalink) Old 07-13-2011, 11:15 PM Thread Starter
Mouse Obsessor

So I just got home from buying suppiles. I got him some Hazel/Harry Hamster Food, some Aspen bedding, and a new tub to house him in. The tub is a 105 qt, length x width is 608.
My husband is putting some ventilation in it now, cannot wait to see him enjoy it. By the way he acts I think he has never been in anything larger than the 10 gallon he came in. He also seems to not know what to do with the wheel I gave him. And he is 1 year old. Poor little guy.

My Pets:

Tags
campbells