My new hamster is always scratching! - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Gerbil & Hamster Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all things gerbil or hamster related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-23-2004, 06:54 PM Thread Starter

My new hamster is always scratching!

I got a new dwarf hamster a fews day ago, and she scratches at herself a lot. Her coat looks really good and she doesn't have any bald spots, but she seems really itchy. Should I buy a mite spray for hamsters and use it on her? I hate pesticides but I'm not sure what to do! I use Carefresh bedding but she had wood shavings at the pet store. Could she have a skin irritation from the shavings?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-25-2004, 10:06 PM Thread Starter

Well my little girl is still scratching. I called Petsmart and asked if they knew what it could be or if their other hamsters are scratching. I was told that it could be dry skin or "bugs" and to bring her in so they could look at her. I'm not sure if its even worth the trip because it doesn't sound like they know all that much there. They have a 14 day guarantee but you have to "return the pet" for a refund. There is no way that I'm returning her!

Has anyone here had a simlar problem with their hamsters, rats or mice? Just wondering if anyone has any ideas or things to try.

I guess I'll go to Petsmart tomorrow morning. If I still don't have an answer, I'll take her to the vet. She looks great though and acts very healthy. I looked through her coat and didn't see any mites or skin irritation. Hmmm, I don't know what to do and I don't want to spray her with mite spray if thats not the problem.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-26-2004, 12:02 AM
Miss New Booty

Ohh no! I hope everything is ok, girl! I don't really have any advice on this one, but I just wanted you to know I'm thinking of you guys and hoping everything is alright with her! I would maybe give the vet a call and ask his/her opinion? I wonder if it could possibly be an irritation to those wood shavings??

~* Jackie *~

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-26-2004, 12:13 AM Thread Starter

Thanks Jackie! I was just at the vet's yesterday too because I had to get worm medicine and Frontline Plus for the cats. I should have asked! I didn't see the doctor though because I just picked up the meds and I had to go get all that wedding stuff taken care of. She usually doesn't diagnose over the phone either. I guess I'll go to Petsmart and see what they say. You'd think they would notice if all their hamsters are scratching! If I don't find out anything there, it will be back to the vet's! I need to help the poor little girl.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-26-2004, 12:23 AM
Miss New Booty

Awwwww! I really hope you find out what is wrong, poor girl! Ya, I would definately ask PetSmart tomorrow! Did I miss it.. did you offically name her?!?!

~* Jackie *~

post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-26-2004, 12:30 AM Thread Starter

We started calling her Cream Puff because thats what she looks like! Mike likes that name for her so I think we are sticking with that. She's the sweetest little hamster. Mike's totally in love with her. Everytime he see's her he says "Awww!"
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-26-2004, 12:34 AM
Miss New Booty

Awwwwwwww! That is so cute! I knew he would love her!
I love Cream Puff! That's adorable!!!

~* Jackie *~

post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-26-2004, 12:35 AM Thread Starter

Thanks!

Tags
carefresh bedding, dwarf hamster, pet store, wood shavings