My new Teddy Bear hamster is sweating? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Gerbil & Hamster Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all things gerbil or hamster related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-18-2011, 07:18 PM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

My new Teddy Bear hamster is sweating?

I just got a new teddy bear hamster today, who is now named Amor. We got her from Petco and she seemed pretty fine while I was petting her in the store. Once I brought her home I had to clean the cage we are now using because it was my old hamster, Aubree's, cage. While I was cleaning it I had her on the floor in my bathroom in a free-run cage (one of the fences that you can buy that folds out and makes a little ring for them to run in). She actually ended up climbing out of it after about half an hour, and I lured her into the box we brought her home in and then kept her on the counter next to me while I cleaned the cage. The cage is a regular wire dome typed hamster cage. Now that she's in it she's sleeping, but sweating so much. She won't drink her water. My bedroom is a basement bedroom, so it's not warm and it's not cold, and I do have a de-humidifier running. I really don't want her to pass away, but I don't know what's wrong with her and my mom won't drive an hour to go back to Petco. She seems to be sweating or damp-furred a little on her back, on her chest, and on her forehead to nose from what I can see. One of my friends said I was supposed to get some powder thing to put on her butt or somewhere from the worker at Petco to prevent her from getting nervous, but they never gave me anything. Any help on what's wrong and what I should do would be very appreciated!

Last edited by MyBoyElliot; 06-18-2011 at 08:02 PM. Reason: misspelling
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-18-2011, 07:47 PM
Zoo Keeper

I've never seen a hamster sweat I font think they can. Could this be urine that got on her. Also my hamster lived in the basement for a while with no problems. When she gets bigger you will probably need to upgrade her cage just so you know

Proud Mommy to-
Cat: Emma
Rats: Apollo, Yuki, Ember, Mei
Hamsters: Kodi, Bear, Koda, Abbi

post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-18-2011, 07:52 PM
Zoo Keeper

Also teddy bears are a gimmick they are long haired syrians and long hairs get greasy sometimes. What's your bedding? Pine can cause breathing problems

Proud Mommy to-

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-18-2011, 07:59 PM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

My mom brought back the bedding when my rabbit died (which is one of the reasons I bought Amor) so right now it's paper towels, until I can buy a new bedding tomorrow. I'll definitely stay away from pine, thanks for the tip!
And I felt her and she's not damp, but she looks it, and didn't look that way in the store. All she's done is poop so far, she won't drink from her water bottle. Any tips on how to get her to drink without stressing her out? I'm trying to stay away from handling her too much.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-18-2011, 10:03 PM
Betta Bomb

I agree that hamsters shouldn't be "sweating". DO NOT put mystery powder on her!!!! If you need something to keep her dry and she might find fun, buy sand or hamster litter (PLZ elli I forget the name of the stuff that's safe for hamsters to be getting dust bath type things in!!) your long haired syrian might have gotten pee on her and she might just be ssuuuupppeeerrr stressed from how you handled her when you got home. Every new pet needs to be acclimated gradually to their new home life. You should have had her cage set up before bringing her home then left her alone for a couple days. Anyway, what odds now, leave her alone after making a couple changes....

What is her bed made of? Those plastic shells which close are no good because they do not allow for ventilation and once hammy makes his bed in there they eat and pee in there causing vapours from the ammonia to catch and linger. I've had problems with my old long haired hamster in this way before changing it. It would appear he was "sweating" but actually he had just been rubbing his fur in his pee soaked bed and gave himself tangled fur.

So, what ever she sleeps in, make sure its well ventilated. The cage should be as well. Stress is probably a factor in making her wet, since she is not bathing herself.

Boxo, crittercare, yesterday's news, and aspen are all fine litter products.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-18-2011, 10:09 PM
Zoo Keeper

In a pinch a cardboard box is good for a hideaway just remove any tape. Calcium carbonate sand ( rinsed and dried) will help with greasy fur which it sounds like. Hamsters don't drink much as long as the bottle will work just let her drink when she wants. Also leave her alone for the next 48 hours to adjust she is very stressed

Proud Mommy to-

Tags
bear, hamster, sweating, teddy