My poor Ollie - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Gerbil & Hamster Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all things gerbil or hamster related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 02-06-2012, 01:18 PM Thread Starter

Unhappy My poor Ollie

My poor Ollie is two years old. That's pretty old for a hamster is t it? Well yesterday I picked her up to play with her and she had a huge lump on her throat! I suspect it to be a tumor. My parent won't spend money to take her to a vet because they suspect she is going to die soon any way. The thing is I don't know if she is in pain or not. She hasn't been acting normal for a while and her hair looks like it's thinning. And everytime I try and play with her she doesn't just run away anymore, she just falls asleep. Same with when she rolls in her ball. I also noticed when I picked her up her...uumm lady parts were really crusty and brown and really gross. That's really not normal for her. I suspect she is dying. Could anyone please give me some input on this? I mainly want to know if she is in pain or not and if she is dying, how long does she have?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 02-06-2012, 04:18 PM
Newborn Pup

Im sorry to hear this. Sadly if your parents wont take her, I do not know what else you can do. You can kindly say you do not want her to suffer, so please let you take her to the vet. Offer by doing more house chores around the house ( I assume your under 18) If your older, you can still offer to help. Yes, it sounds like a tumor and the crusty parts is because she is going to the bathroom on herself or another medical issue. If they still refuse, all you can do is make sure you keep her on one level in her home, no climbing or small tunnels,and don't worry about the ball. Try to hand feed her or holding the water bottle to her if she is weak. Through my experiences it can be days, to a couple of months, if this is near the end of her lifespan. Im so sorry. Hugs

7 Gerbils= (Boys) Lightning,Eggo and the (Girls) Commit & Midnight, Leggo & Shadow,Charcoal

4 Fish tanks= Catfish, 2 Male Betta's,Tetras,Glofish and Mollies

5 Desert Turtles

Tags
dying, hamsters, tumors