My poor sick hamster.... - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Gerbil & Hamster Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all things gerbil or hamster related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-27-2009, 06:06 PM Thread Starter

Unhappy My poor sick hamster....

I'm not sure what to do about my poor little Gustav. He's a Russian dwarf hamster and I've had him for a year and four months. Within the past couple of months he's been slowly developing a tumor on his belly. At least, that's what I think it is. When I hold him he doesn't act differently, and his demeanor is the same ol' Gustav. I can't tell if he's in any pain, he doesn't seem to mind being held or touched. I guess I'm asking, with bated breath... should I take him into the vet to be put down? I realize there's not much one can do when a little dwarf hamster has a tumor like this. Since he enjoys sleeping next to the glass on his back when it's hot out, I was able to get a picture of the tumor. Except now this forum won't let me post the picture... ok.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-27-2009, 06:06 PM Thread Starter

I guess I'll go make like 19 more posts elsewhere so I can post the picture along with it.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-02-2009, 12:23 PM

One of my rats recently developed a tumor and I just went to my exotic vet (I have a vet for my rats and a different vet for my dogs) and they removed it. It was a little on the costly side as surgery is expensive for a small animal but well worth her health and comfort. She's doing really well and is back on her way to being her old self.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-05-2009, 05:54 PM
Playful Pup

Hi personally I would leave Gustav alone until he is in pain or doesn't want to be held. As long as he is eating, drinking, pooing and peeing I wouldn't take him as they will only put him down when at the moment if he is happy I wouldn't. We've had a syrian recently who was like a tennis ball but still walking round happily then one night she developed bleeding and was put to sleep, the vets had never seen a hamster with a huge tumour and the hamster still alive.

Hope this helps.

6 Ratties Kamarlie, Luka, Kato, Kenzo, Jay & Kai
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-06-2009, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahh View Post
Hi personally I would leave Gustav alone until he is in pain or doesn't want to be held. As long as he is eating, drinking, pooing and peeing I wouldn't take him as they will only put him down when at the moment if he is happy I wouldn't. We've had a syrian recently who was like a tennis ball but still walking round happily then one night she developed bleeding and was put to sleep, the vets had never seen a hamster with a huge tumour and the hamster still alive.

Hope this helps.
This isn't true. Please don't take her advice.

A good veterinarian always takes note of the animal's overall health and quality of life before deciding to put an animal to sleep. My vet looked at Fredi and saw that she's just as active and happy as she's always been and recommended removal of the tumor not euthanization. A veterinarian who recommends an animal be put to sleep simply because they have a growth shouldn't be practicing on exotics.
Please don't let the tumor grow to a huge size and then have him put down. Consider his quality of life, if you allow a tumor to grow to the size of a tennis ball, he's going to suffer and his life will be cut drastically short. Get the tumor removed by an experienced, qualified, exotic vet.

Tags
dwarf, hamster, sick, tumor