My Princess - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Gerbil & Hamster Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all things gerbil or hamster related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-29-2009, 10:42 AM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

Unhappy My Princess

This morning My princess had what looked like intestines protruding from her anus. She is bleeding quite bad, and I can tell her life force is slipping away. I have had her since April when I bought her from a breeder.
She had 2 litters, which 3 girls stayed with her in her bin through adulthood with no problems. All of a sudden, the pups were dying... they are young adults, well into sexual maturity. One died, and had not a single mark on her, but had a very weak heartbeat and shallow breathing, two days later, I found a second girl was being destroyed by the family. with only one girl left, I removed her from the bin, and kept mom by herself after finding Mom like this when I awakened.

I dont know how or why, 2 pups died in 3 days, and now mom is slipping my grasp...
But I am NOT liking it at all!

My Princess is the only hamster I ever owned that came to me, not me to it. She even came to me when I called her name.

I am not happy right now and am very emotional.
I just wonder what going on here.

The Lord and Lady love all their children. Even the cute furrbutts
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-29-2009, 11:40 AM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

update*

I talked to the Vet, and she said that if intestines are coming out, there would be nothing they could do for her, and that she would die. It tears me up thinking about it.
With that news, I decided to take matters in my own hand. I washed up , gloved up and used a little olive oil to lube the intestine, which was out about an inch, and I pushed it back up into her. I know it hurt her I could just tell, but I know she will keep pulling it out unless I did this. I am going to let her be for about a half hour, then check on her again. I only wish she would drink , as I know she is dehydrated.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-29-2009, 11:43 AM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

No good, she pulled them out even farther, this time, about an inch and a half. They are blood red and about 1/4" in diameter. I am very concerned why she is doing this. I have always trusted her judgement before, but my Gut feels this is suicide. Its so hard, but I must trust her this time as well, she has impeccable instincts, and something is telling her to do this. (Maybe a clogged intestine?)
This is the hardest test of my trust yet.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-29-2009, 03:16 PM
Hello Earthling

Oh I al so sorry. Have you thought of having her put to sleep?? She must be in increeble pain.

post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-29-2009, 03:20 PM
Adolescent Pup

and the vet doesnt know whats wrong with her, but why would her intestines be coming out? and im so sorry for what your going through and i hop your hammie gets better

R.I.P gerbil- tiger
R.I.P gerbil- Benny
R.I.P Hamster - Holly
R.I.P Gerbil- Badger
R.I.P Cat- Blacky
R.I.P bird- jem
Forever i will remeber and miss you
i miss you tocco and the other babies
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-29-2009, 07:00 PM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

well, 2 of her pups died mysteriously. And She and her other pup destroyed them. I think she literally gorged herself to the point her bowels are plugged up. its all I can think of.
I used sterile gloves, a touch of oil and pushed it back up in her, but she pushed it back out trying to evacuate waste.
I am thinking she cant have a bowel movement, so I forced her to drink a little olive oil and water to lube her intestines up a bit.

I wish their was a way I could clear the blockage. but she wiggles too much for me to inspect closer.

I think she overate, and since she isnt used to digesting meat, it just plugged her up bad. Just like it would a human, that ate half its weight in red meat.

though, its 1/4'' in diameter and is blood red, not translucent, its making me wonder.

Last edited by Paganegyptian; 08-29-2009 at 07:04 PM.
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-29-2009, 08:08 PM

Oh I am so sorry she is having to suffer like that. I wish there was something the vet could do. Maybe you should see if she could be put down to prevent further suffering?
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-30-2009, 12:11 PM
Adolescent Pup

or you could get something to flush it out of her like a liquid, the vet must have something to help her empty her intestines out?

R.I.P gerbil- tiger
R.I.P gerbil- Benny
R.I.P Hamster - Holly
R.I.P Gerbil- Badger
R.I.P Cat- Blacky
R.I.P bird- jem
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-30-2009, 10:26 PM

Sounds like a rectal prolapse. It can happen to hamsters too. If you don't know what it is, the simple way to explain it is that her intestines have broken loose from where they were anchored inside her body cavity, so they get pushed out whenever she strains. The problem with rectal prolapses are that they don't usually heal on their own. Even if you clear off whatever blockage she might have, chances are that she's going to suffer from the issue any time she strains for a bowel movement.

With people (and larger pets and livestock) a doctor/vet can do surgery to stich the intestines to where they're supposed to be attached, so they don't slip outside the body. But with such a small animal, I think the chances of any vet succeeding (or even being willing to try) are rather slim.

I hate to have to agree with the suggestions for euthanasia, but that seems like the best choice as this point. She could get lucky and get better, but she'll probably keep suffering from the problem until she dies from malnutrition or infection.
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-31-2009, 10:55 AM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

it was prolapsed rectum. and you are right, the other vet said there is a slim chance, especially as strong as she is. I have done all I can for her. She doesn't appear to be in pain. I have continued to oil the part, and have given her high moisture foods, and seed. Her main diet has been kibble like at pet stores, and I know seed in high amounts makes stool soft, so hopefully she wont get blockage.

as of this morning, she is still alive. But I dont expect her to make it another 48 hours. All I can do is make her as comfortable as I can and put her at ease.
She's a true fighter, and one in a million, as she came to me, not me to her when I visited the breeder back in April. She was born in February.

She has had a very eventful life, and has even amazed me. I will follow up with a short bio later on.

post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-01-2009, 05:51 AM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

Unhappy

Rest in Peace Princess
B. 2/1/2009 D. 9/1/2009
2:45am
She was one in a Trillion.
survived by 2 litters, total of 4 girls, and 2 boys

Two girls died last week one day a part.

It was deemed that the destruction of the 2 pups is what caused the problem of Prolapsed Rectum that led to her death. She died in her sleep, and with eyes closed. She looked at peace and comfortable. We spent the previous 4 hours with each other. I got her out of her bin at 9:30pm and her belly was cold, a sure sign at any minute she would pass, but I warmed her up... and she gave me one final night of blessings and memories. She was very active for her last night, as she even crawled up and onto my shoulders from my desk... I had a vision of a tiny streak of light across my bed, a rush of energy entered me and then shaking spasm in my left foot seconds before i checked on her, as I had put her bed on my night stand as I knew she would pass tonight, she twitched, taking her final few breaths. She was at the closest point to me, less than 2 feet away as I tried to sleep, after that knowing she had gone. I awakened at 5:30am and decided to move her body, frozen in time. So soon she can grace me again with her likeness to remind me everyday of how she was more human than many real humans are.

Thank you for all of your support and prayers.

PLEASE do NOT allow you Hamsters to perform this merciful destruction.

post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-01-2009, 02:54 PM
Adolescent Pup

omg that was so sad..........i even started to cry and i dont do that alot. im am so sorry for your loss

R.I.P gerbil- tiger
R.I.P gerbil- Benny
R.I.P Hamster - Holly
R.I.P Gerbil- Badger
R.I.P Cat- Blacky
R.I.P bird- jem
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-05-2009, 06:55 PM
Playful Pup

aww, im so sorry for your loss

Pround owner of :

1 male guinea pig - Charlie

1 male black lab - Monty
post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-05-2009, 07:07 PM
Paw-Talk Addict

Aw, geez :/ I'm sorry! I was very close to my hamsters, too. That's horrible. I hope she comes back to you in another form!
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-06-2009, 09:28 AM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

THank you, She lives through her pups. One in particular, a male seems to be connected more than the others. I named him Prince. He has been the closest of all her pups. Her last female pup has also passed sue to the same issue her mom had. There must be something genetic causing it. now there is one female left, the medium haired, I call storm, due her being a twin of the Long haired pup Logan, that survived a bad attack from daddy, that just died from unknown causes. Its been a very challenging venture breeding a small family, learning the ins and outs.