Need advice about hamster who just lost her sisterto cancer - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Gerbil & Hamster Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all things gerbil or hamster related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 11-19-2009, 08:47 PM Thread Starter

Exclamation Need advice about hamster who just lost her sisterto cancer

We have had 2 robo dwarf hamsters for a little over a year now, and a few days ago we noticed one of them had a swollen toe. We watched it and hoped it would go down, thinking she had maybe sprained it, but unfortunately it did not, so we took her to the vet. It was cancer, and she was in pain, and amputation and the only other option (which gave her a 25% chance of dying just because of the procedure) so the vet recommended we put her down today.

Our question here is for our other hamster, who has had a snuggle buddy all her life.
How long do they typically live, and should we get her a buddy?
Will she do well with a new hamster or try to kill it?
and could we get another dwarf breed or should we go with another robo?
Or would it be better just to leave her alone?

Her cage is huge because we spoil them, but we feel it is lonely for just one hamster...

Please give us some advice, as we are unsure what is best for our hamster.

Thank you.
Samantha
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 11-21-2009, 06:51 AM
Playful Pup

I can sympathize. My little Prima recently lost her sister, Donna to an unexpected heart problem. If she's young (I would say 6 months or younger), it's a risk, but you could try introducing her to a new animal. However, if they're still fighting terribly after a week, you'll have to separate them. With Prima, since she's over a year old & territorial, it wasn't an option. She resents the robos I even keep in another cage. She even fought with her sister so much after about 6 months that I had to get two cages that I kept next to each other (they would communicate & give each other kisses through the bars). Anyway, it basically depends mainly on the hamster's age, & if she's older, her personality. You'll want to get her a pal about her size, too, so if there are altercations, one won't bulldoze the other.

Tags
cancer, pair, robo dwarf hamster