Need help with colors (gerbil breeding topic)... ! - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Gerbil & Hamster Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all things gerbil or hamster related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-26-2006, 07:53 PM Thread Starter

...okay. Could anyone here please tell me what I would get if I bred a Colourpoint Black Gerbil with a Golden Agouti? Like... what color would the pups eventually turn out to be?

Here's the situation. I bought two gerbils from the pet store. Both were supposed to be females, (cuz that's how the store labeled them) ...but one turned out to be male. I guess I'm the one at fault there for not checking. lol, but anyways... so I had them in the same cage and they bred. They have had 2 litters of 3 pups each (I hadn't separated them until it was too late after the first litter), and so far all the pups are all black with a white chest. They were born sometime last November... and now the first litter is starting to change colors slightly, but I still can't tell what color they're gonna be.

Here's some pics if it would help to better understand...

First is my girl, Basil You could see the pups (all black) under the bedding if you look close enough. As I said, I'm pretty sure she's a Colourpoint Black. Correct me if I'm wrong =]
Second picture is of my other gerbil, Posh. Haha, yes I named him before I found out he was male. I'm guessing he's Golden Agouti.

...lol, and thanks to anyone who can help me out here. I've tried calculating gerbil colors but I just got so confused x__x

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-27-2006, 11:46 AM

Does Posh have a white belly?
From this picture it looks as if he is solid (no white belly), making him a Nutmeg.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-27-2006, 07:15 PM Thread Starter

lol, yeah... he is solid. It was my mistake... I am definately no expert when it comes to coloring gerbils. I'm not the best either when it comes to large numbers and variables. lol... but yeah... do you know what color this would make the pups?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-29-2006, 11:58 AM Thread Starter

Does anybody know?

Nutmeg + Colourpoint Black (Burmese) =
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-29-2006, 02:38 PM

I'm only good with the genetics calculator, and i can't seem to get it to work.
This is the AGS Colour Strips -http://www.agsgerbils.org/Color_Strip/index.html
and the Gerbil Colour Palette - http://home.wtal.de/ehr/gerbils/colors.htm

There used to be an awsome site that explained genetics perfectly, but it's gone very disapointing.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-29-2006, 04:08 PM

Nutmeg x Burmese = all black, unless they share any recessive gene. Judging from what you have, they don't share any recessives.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-29-2006, 09:07 PM Thread Starter

lol thanks That was my first guess considering that all of them are mainly black now... but I just wanted to be sure. I managed to upload a few pictures today too. Here's some just in case anyone's bored and wanted to see

[ Basil and her babies all in a line... haha, wierd ]

[ Two older pups born last November from her first litter ]

[ ...and an individual pic of a pup from the newest litter
...as you can see there's a little white that runs from their mouth to their undersides ]

post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-29-2006, 09:17 PM

Too cute!

The white line is called "bib". It caused by some genes that dictate the degree of spotting that the gerbils might have. It doesn't mean that they are spotted, just that they have some genes that will create spotting patterns with more white. Getting a bibless self is pretty hard, most of them are born bibbed or with white on the paws. 8)
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-30-2006, 09:00 PM Thread Starter

lol, that sounds kind of cute. "bib"

Hehe, thanks for all the info I'm still rather clueless when it comes to gerbil genetics. lol. I also still have 3 gerbils to name, so now maybe I can branch some ideas off of that. So far I have Basil, Posh, Opal, Paris, and Myles. Now I need 3 more names for Basil's newest litter

Tags
golden agouti, pet store, white belly