Need help deciding on wheel - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Gerbil & Hamster Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all things gerbil or hamster related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-29-2009, 12:06 PM Thread Starter

Question Need help deciding on wheel

I bought a Petco wheel, but it has spokes which hurt the hamster who is trying to get on while the other one is running.
(If you want to see it, go to the Petco website and enter 1095676 in the search bar. i can't post links yet.)
So I need advice. So I buy another mesh wheel with spokes so each hammy has his own, and therefore will not need to enter a moving wheel and risk getting hurt?
Or do I just buy two wheels that have one side open and one side solid?
I was looking at the large Comfort Wheel, 8 1/2 inches. I thought about getting two of those. Maybe I can get one if it's wide enough. Does anyone have it and can measure the width of it for me?

Or should I just get one of the Comfort Wheels and the hamsters will learn to take turns?
They just look so pitiful trying to run at the same time.
Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-29-2009, 12:16 PM
Hello Earthling

The best wheels are solid ones so their feet won't fall through.

post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-29-2009, 12:55 PM

I ended up with one of those silent spinner wheels and the one that attaches to a critter trail. I dont have a preference in wheels. Thought my hamster like the petco ones. Not sure why but they do.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-29-2009, 12:56 PM Thread Starter

This one is mesh, so their feet don't fall through anyway. The problem with my current one is that it has a bar on the entry side which hits the hamster if he comes in while the wheel is in motion.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-29-2009, 02:17 PM
Amateur Zookeeper

The comfort wheels are great, the only downside is that they are very loud, so if you have the cage in your room, you might want to get the silent spinner.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Purr more, Hiss less

Proud Owner to:
2 girl rats~Marlie and Lola
2 male cats~Scout and Oscar
1 girl dog~Kusa

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Always in my heart, my baby girls

Rest in Peace Cleo, Lucy, Snickers, Maya, and Maggie

post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-29-2009, 02:24 PM
Newborn Pup

I recommend the Speed wheel, they are ultra quiet and run on ball bearings....plus, they can go very fast. Just look up Tic Tac on youtube

The Lord and Lady love all their children. Even the cute furrbutts
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-29-2009, 07:59 PM Thread Starter

Thanks everyone.
Maybe I didn't phrase my question well- let me try again.

*What I have now is a wheel with spokes. This option isn't good, as the hamster can get hurt when entering a moving wheel.*

My options are:
a> buy another wheel (the same type) so they won't be tempted to enter an already moving wheel because they will each have their own
b> buy 2 plastic wheels with one solid wall and one open side
c> buy only one plastic wheel and have them take turns. If it's wide enough, maybe they can both run in it together.

I tried to look up Speed Wheel,but none of the results were hamster related. LOL
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-29-2009, 08:07 PM
Hello Earthling

Depending on the size of your enclosure I would get 2 solid wheels.

post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-29-2009, 08:31 PM
Part of the Pack

I have a silent spinner for my mice, but I think I'm going to get them another one because they always fight over it. Its great because its easy to clean, quiet and safe- no little feet or hands or anything getting stuck.

give your love no matter what.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-29-2009, 08:51 PM
Movin' Up in the Pack

I like the Wodent Wheel the best. You really can't prevent them from running on the same wheel--they are stubborn!!! So if you're looking for an open wheel, I'd go with Comfort wheel, or Silent Spinner. I have seen the saucer-like ones, but I don't know anything about them! I've heard they are good for dwarves, who like to run together!!

Mandy

Happily owned by:
Baby--female calico kitty
Dale-- male black lab
Coco--male hamster
Rascal--male hamster
Mr. Squeakers--male guinea pig
Phineas--male guinea pig

RIP Patches. You were the sweetest hamster I've ever known. There will never be another like you.

RIP sweet little Bugsy. We didn't know you long, but we loved more than you could have known. Sleep sweet little one.

RIP little Sammy. Thanks for 2 and a half wonderful years! You had a long happy life and we miss you more than you know. Play hard, sweetie...

post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-29-2009, 11:00 PM Thread Starter

I think I'll go with the two solid ones. Thanks for your input, everyone!
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-01-2009, 09:27 AM
Adolescent Pup

i like the mesh ones better to keep my degus from getting hit by the side i hooked the wheels up to the side and if they have any problems ill wrap duct tape on the outside and cover the sticky side with bedding so their feet and tails dont get stuck. The solid wheels i've had problems with because the ones around here slant inward and have to be cleaned alot more since they like to go to the bathroom in it and i dont want them running in that

Cat=1
Degus=2
Dogs= 4
Gerbils=8 (more on the way soon)
Hamsters=2
Parrot=1
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-01-2009, 11:23 AM Thread Starter

I like mesh as well, but there are no mesh wheels that don't have those darn spokes rotating around. I want a totally open entrance way. I ordered 2 comfort wheels and will report as soon as the boys try them out.

Tags
wheel