need help with hamster - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Gerbil & Hamster Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all things gerbil or hamster related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-03-2009, 09:34 PM Thread Starter

need help with hamster

I have a little dwarf hamster that is not very nice. If i reach in her cage to refill her water or food she runs at me and will bite! I cannot touch her in the cage, so i get her out with a cup. I herd her into the cup and pick her up and put her in my hand. After she is in my hand she does not try to bite, but is constantly trying to get away from me. I feel like I am being mean by trying to give her attention. She used to have a hammy friend but it passed away. She was her litter mate, so they got along well. I was thinking that she maybe would like another dwarf hammy friend but I have read that they MUST be litter mates or they well fight.

how can I get her to settle down and relax with me? she will not even take treats from me. I have had her for 3 months now.

her name is Pebbles by the way
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-04-2009, 01:49 AM

Well from my experience with hampsters if its new, you need to give him time to adjust to its cage and to you. if its not new then play with him everyday for a little bit but don't overwhelm it. once its used to you and its cage it shouldn't charge at u trying to bite ur finger, thats how my hampster was.

Also once it's used to you it will let you feed it by hand
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-04-2009, 06:46 AM Thread Starter

I just feel mean by getting her out. she apparently hates it. She never tried to bite me until her hammie sister died
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-04-2009, 06:49 AM Thread Starter

I forgot to mention, since her sister died she just sleeps and eats. I never see her play, run on the wheel and build nests anymore
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-04-2009, 08:56 AM

She could be stressed by her sisters death
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-04-2009, 02:15 PM
Adolescent Pup

aw poor pebbles could you not try a split cage method with her and another hamster? mabe they would get along and she would come out of her depression or stress shes in?

R.I.P gerbil- tiger
R.I.P gerbil- Benny
R.I.P Hamster - Holly
R.I.P Gerbil- Badger
R.I.P Cat- Blacky
R.I.P bird- jem
Forever i will remeber and miss you
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
i miss you tocco and the other babies
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-04-2009, 06:38 PM Thread Starter

I am more than willing to try. Everything I am reading say that there is no way she will get along with another hammie unless its a littermate
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-04-2009, 06:43 PM
is a little "special"

Some hamsters just will never let you pick them up, but its great that she lets you hold her once shes out! We all arent that lucky, LOL
You definatly arent being mean by giving her attention. Hamsters are very curious, energetic little fellows, and wont stay in one place for very long. Instead of just trying to hold her in one place, have you ever just let her run around a room? All mine used to be much happier exploring than being held. Im sure she would have a ton of fun, and get some exercise too!
And what you heard about them only getting along with litter mates is not true. As long as you introduce your hamsters the right way, she should get along with another friend. (sorry, cant help you on that though- Ive never bonded hammies before)

Anyways, try this when you attempt picking her up- Instead of just grabbing her, stroke her back a little so that she isnt suprised by you. When people reach in and grab their hammies right away, it can scare them and their fist reaction is to bite.
If that doesnt work, try scooping her off her feet (from under her) with both hands. Alot of hamsters arent exactly thrilled with being picked up around the waist, so this usually works.

Good luck! I hope I helped!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"For the animal shall not be measured by man. In a world older than ours they move finished and complete, gifted with extensions of the senses we have lost or never attained, living by voices we shall never hear.They are not brethen, they are not underlings; they are other nations caught with ourselves in the net of life and time, fellow prisoners of the splendor and travail of the earth."
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-04-2009, 06:50 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jess View Post
Instead of just trying to hold her in one place, have you ever just let her run around a room? All mine used to be much happier exploring than being held. Im sure she would have a ton of fun, and get some exercise too!
I second this . If you're worried about her running off, you could put her in the bath tub or set up a pen.

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-04-2009, 06:58 PM
Playful Pup

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratty_ratkins View Post
I have a little dwarf hamster that is not very nice. If i reach in her cage to refill her water or food she runs at me and will bite! I cannot touch her in the cage, so i get her out with a cup. I herd her into the cup and pick her up and put her in my hand. After she is in my hand she does not try to bite, but is constantly trying to get away from me. I feel like I am being mean by trying to give her attention. She used to have a hammy friend but it passed away. She was her litter mate, so they got along well. I was thinking that she maybe would like another dwarf hammy friend but I have read that they MUST be litter mates or they well fight.

how can I get her to settle down and relax with me? she will not even take treats from me. I have had her for 3 months now.

her name is Pebbles by the way
------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi there ..I have a dwarf hamster named Tipsy...she used to let me pick her up also...but lately she has been very nippy towards me...2 weeks ago i was cleaning her cage up and knew that she was in another part and I thought it would be safe enough to put my hands in..anyways while cleaing her food area and I was thinking of something else she darted out her tube and latched on to my pinky it hurt !! I have had her for over a year now...but still love her anyways...maybe with your hammy give it some time to re-ajust..you can bribe it with a sunflower seed or what we give ours is plain tofu,,,they go nuts for it.

Adopt a Rodent from a rescue places instead of buying one at a pet store!
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-04-2009, 08:14 PM Thread Starter

Thank you for the help guys. I dont sneak up on Pebbles and scare her, she sneaks up on me and scares me! LOL
She is so darn cute tho

Tags
hamster bites