Needing assistance with selling my Syrian hamsters - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Gerbil & Hamster Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all things gerbil or hamster related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-30-2013, 04:32 PM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

Needing assistance with selling my Syrian hamsters

I have people texting me showing interested for purchase, so I have a concern. This is my first and hopefully only time selling baby hamsters....we were accidentally given a male and female from the pet store instead of two females, and well...you know the story!

How can I deter feeders, what are some questions I should ask? How can I best do this? Should I limit it to one per person, or max 2 but the same gender, so they don't just go home and breed the **** out of them....

I'm just not sure...

For example, here is my first conversation:

"How much for your teddy bear hamsters?"
"$9 each."
"Do you have a better pic?"
"Email?"
"I was wondering if you could text them, Id on't check my email that much."
"No camera ont his phone, only digital camera."
"Oh, ok"
"NP."
"I'm still really interested in getting a couple though."
"How many?"
"Like 3 if that's ok with you."
"Was thinking a limit of 2 to deter feeders..."
"Oh, you can check my house, lol. My gf hates snakes and that's who they're for."

So this being my very first interest and I'm already wierded out....what the ****.... >_<

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-01-2013, 09:16 AM

レイバン ティアドロップ=http://goo.gl/fgnvJ

モデル“Frogskins”raybanseason com/ レイバン ウェイファーラー周年を記念goo gl/fgnvJ]レイバン ティアドロップサーフケーター、た代表的なモデル。ーやアーティ長らく廃棄されたと考goo gl/fgnvJ]レイバン ウェイファーラーかったのを2007年の夏22年ースされお買上日を証明するraybanfo rever com/]レイバン ティアドロップ書類としてを記念しルと機能性のて当時のサーy ahoo it/+p+8M]レイバン サングラス 人気ミュージシ代表的なモ長らく廃棄されたつかったのをraybanforever com/]メガネ レイバン2007年の夏22年書と共にy ahoo it/+p+8M レイバン 店舗
raybanseason com/]メガネ レイバン「セキュリテ載しております。時の情報にのプロトコraybanseason com/]レイバン 偏光機能RFC2409で規定鍵交換はこのため,goo gl/fgnvJ]レイバン サングラスできる。IKE鍵の自動交換IKEの標準化後はほとんどく,IKEを使rayban season com/ レイバン ティアドロップ者で使用すDiffieHellman方式raybankoi com/]レイバン ティアドロップ交換相手のるもの,利用可能であるISAKMPraybanseason com/]レイバン サングラスースにして行わず,IKEでは,ISAKMPに組み合的な鍵goo gl/fgnvJ]レイバン サングラス
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-03-2013, 07:52 AM
Official Loofah Tester

Hey Stacey,

It's so hard to find reliable homes for baby rodents.

The first thing to do is to trust your instincts. If the adopter doesn't feel trustworthy, it's better to keep your babies yourself.

I'm assuming this is an accidental litter and you're looking to find homes for a one time litter, but if not and you plan on breeding more, don't breed unless you have homes lined up for any babies first. That's one of the harder things that quality breeders have to work hard to achieve. It's done by lots of legwork and advertizing, and most importantly by developing a good presence and reputation. Otherwise you get overwhelmed with unwanted babies.

The first thing you can do now is price them high enough over the going rate of snake food to discourage people wanting feeders. I don't know about hamsters, as I'm a rat person, but just to give you an idea, for rats in my area, pet store feeders go for $1-5 dollars. Store bought pets go for $10-15. Breeder and rescue rats go for $20.

At that price, they typically come with the assurance that the adoptees have been worked with frequently and are hand tame. You'll have to do research to find out when and how it's safe to start handling hamsters. Rats, you can do it from birth, with the key socialization window coming the day their eyes are open. Mice, if you start too soon, the mother will often eat the babies.

Another thing you can do is require that an adopter fill out a questionnaire like they would for any larger animal adoption. This serves two purposes. It weeds out people who are impulse purchasing and don't want to fool with such 'nonsense'. Two, well placed questions can educate the potential adopter on aspects of rodent care they might not be aware of, or hadn't thought important. I can share with you the questionnaire provided to me when I applied for adoption. Do your own research with hamster breeders to see if you can find info on how those breeders do this. You will often find breeder sites and forums online. They may even be willing to answer questions if you ask. They are home hobby breeders and aren't paid a profit, so they have a reason that is in the rodent's best interest for doing this.

So, rat questionnaire. This is worded specifically for the unique needs of rats. Hamsters may and probably do have entirely different additional requirements:

Your Information

Full Name:

City & State of Residence:

Telephone Number:

Email Address:

What is the best way to contact you?

Are you over 18 years of Age:

Your Preferences

How many rats are you planning to adopt?

Are you seeking males, females, or both?

Do you have any preferences as far as color, markings, ear type, coat type?

Which rats or litters are you interested in?

How did you hear about us?

What made you decide to adopt a rat from my rattery?

Have you reviewed the adoption policies and agree to them?

Background Information

Do you (please check one): Own, rent, other?

Are you currently employed?

Approximately how many hours are you away from your home each week (include work, school, etc)?

Are there children (individuals under the age of 18) in your household? If so, what are their ages?

If you answered yes, please describe the child’s interaction with any animals in your home:

What other animals other than rats do you own (please be specific and also list the breed(s) if applicable)?

Do you currently use a veterinarian for all your pets?

Please list the name of your vet, their phone number and address:
Does this veterinarian treat rats/mice?
Does your vet provide 24-hour emergency service?

Please list
at least two references who are familiar with the way that your take care of your animals:

(Please note that any or all of your references may be contacted if needed in determining adoption suitability)

Name Address Phone Email

Have you ever owned rats in the past?

What got you interested in rats?

Have you ever had to sell, give away, or surrender one of your animals to a shelter?

If yes, please explain:

Have you, or anyone else in your household, ever been accused or convicted of animal cruelty (neglect or abuse)?

If yes, please explain:

Basic Care Questions

Please describe the method with which you plan on transporting your new rats:

If you can no longer keep or care for your rat(s), what will you do with them?

Are you willing to notify me in a timely manor about any health or temperament that may occur with your new rats?

Do you plan on breeding your rats or are you currently already breeding your rats?

Please describe the cage(s) that you will use or already use for your rats (include brand, how many levels, if powder-coated or galvanized, wire spacing, etc):

What kind of bedding will/do you use?

What will/do you feed your rats (include food brands where applicable, how much, how often and how they are fed):

How often will/is the cage(s) cleaned and the bedding changed?

How much time will/does each rat get out of the cage each day?

Describe what their playtime will be/is like:
Will/do you provide stimuli (toys, treats, hammocks, etc) for your rats inside of their cage?

Here's a link to this breeder's adoption policies. Some of it is to educate, some of it is to screen, some of the policies are gears specifically to help this breeder with record keeping on health and history of her lines. http://www.pxrats.com/policy.html

Odds are though just pricing them well, and requiring certain information from the adopter, while it will cut down on your prospects, will also weed out the vast majority of the undesirables. People who complain or try to pressure you are viewing the animals as commodity acquisition at best and not as potential family pets.

Hope this helps. Good luck!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Hanging out in the Land of New Feetsies:
Melon, Skinner, Black Pete, Zanna, Custard, Tucker, Jeffrey, Zmei, and Windham.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-03-2013, 10:31 AM
Official Loofah Tester

Stickied at the top of the hamster page here is a bunch of helpful links where you can figure out what questions to ask your potential adopters:

http://www.paw-talk.net/forums/f13/h...nks-43950.html

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-03-2013, 05:54 PM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

Thank you so much for the useful response, you are correct, this is accidental.

Goofy Pet Supplies Plus gave us a male and a female, when I asked for two males.

Caught them in the act and immediately separated them, but the deed was done.

I guess I"m kind of backwards, I've been doing the opposite, thinking that since PSP sells them for $11, if I sold them for less, they would sell quicker because people wouldn't want to pay more at PSS D:

I'll raise the price!
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-04-2013, 04:47 PM
Official Loofah Tester

You're welcome. I'm so sorry you're having to go through this. I also applaud you for making the effort to educate yourself and do well by your fur babies even though you didn't want this. Bless you.

It's so sad. I really do shake my head at all the pet shops. The problem always is that pet shops, by their collective business model, view animals as merchandise for profit. When you have that, you don't have a dedication to pay the extra money to hire or pay appropriate wages for knowledgeable staff.

So folks new to pet ownership or knowledge like most any average person, who go in expecting knowledgeable help in bringing home our new animals, get the raw end of the stick again and again. The staff is either not knowledgeable, or pressured into making the sale over providing correct advice. Now, there are lots of pet shop employees who do know their stuff and are worth their weight in gold, but that's because /they/ make the effort to figure it out, not because they get any kind of training and they are sadly in the minority .

Most sadly all the animals suffer too. Your two hamsters (which should be kept solitary, even if you to get two of the same gender btw...Syrians get aggressive and fight to the death if they aren't breeding), were likely bred in an inhumane for profit animal mill, and of course now you have babies you have to struggle with finding homes for whose futures are up in the air through no fault of your own.

Where are you advertizing them? Petfinder?

post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-12-2013, 04:13 AM
Playful Pup

I love syrian hamsters the most. unfortunately it's quite hard to find in SG. mostly are dwarf hamsters.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-17-2014, 02:29 PM

Um..Syrian hamsters are totally solitary and should NEVER be housed with other adults. I would suggest selling them as singles. And tell them about the forum Hamster Central. It's super helpful.

Thanks.

Tags
syrian hamster