New baby gerbils !? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Gerbil & Hamster Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all things gerbil or hamster related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-05-2009, 07:05 PM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

Arrow New baby gerbils !?

Hello everyone,
I'm so excited! My gerbils, Gabby & Gizmo, had their first batch of pups! They are a week and one day old, and there are 8 of them ! They're starting to get fur and you can see what colours they are ! I just have a couple questions -

- How do you tell if its a boy or girl ?
- Can i keep one and keep it with the mom and dad ?
- Do I have to seperate the boys and girls ?
- When do they open their eyes ?
- When do they start to walk ?

Oh, and Gabby seems to be a little too rough with them , is that normal ? I have a little box inside their cage and the were born in that . Gabby will burrow in there and kick the babies in the face and stuff . I don't know if thats normal or not . Gizmo is very gentle with them tho, he'll sit in there with them to keep them warm while Gabby off doing her thing . I love them so much ! <33

Thanks everyone for your help

Pround owner of :

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
1 male guinea pig - Charlie

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
1 male black lab - Monty
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-06-2009, 02:38 AM
Playful Pup

1st of all hub gabby isnt bein rough most mother gerbils are very protective of there pups ...... if she is dragging them back to the nest this is all normal she wont harm them all i advise is to ensure your cage is ''BABY PROOF'' lol ......to tell if they are boy or girls the boys have a wider gap between the genitals whereas the girls are very close together....i woulndt advise keeping another baby with the parents if you plan to breed again....be sure before you breed that you have good homes arranged for the pups as at times it can be hard to rehome new pups .....yes , you do have to seperate the pups at about 12 weeks ....they should open there eyes at about 3 weeks and begin to wander around the cage ...some times they walk before they can see lol.....the mother will still insist on putting them back in the nest even after there eyes are opened and they are able to walk but this is all normal.....hope this helps you... and i would advise you try giving them limited amounts of treats from your hand when they are around 6-8 weeks old as this tames them and makes them very easy to rehome .....
My gerbil is currentlly rearing 4 little pups and there a joy to watch theres pics in my album if you want to have a look
xxx

My lil Peatree [bearded dragon] ...
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-06-2009, 04:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gizzy234 View Post
Hello everyone,
I'm so excited! My gerbils, Gabby & Gizmo, had their first batch of pups! They are a week and one day old, and there are 8 of them ! They're starting to get fur and you can see what colours they are ! I just have a couple questions -

- How do you tell if its a boy or girl ?
- Can i keep one and keep it with the mom and dad ?
- Do I have to seperate the boys and girls ?
- When do they open their eyes ?
- When do they start to walk ?

Oh, and Gabby seems to be a little too rough with them , is that normal ? I have a little box inside their cage and the were born in that . Gabby will burrow in there and kick the babies in the face and stuff . I don't know if thats normal or not . Gizmo is very gentle with them tho, he'll sit in there with them to keep them warm while Gabby off doing her thing . I love them so much ! <33

Thanks everyone for your help
You can tell if they're male or female from 11 days old. You can clearly see nipple rings on the female's stomach. They look like little red spots.

You need to split the parents up when these pups reach 6 weeks of age, you can't keep breeding gerbils back to back as it's very harmful for the females health.

I would suggest moving the male and the male pups (when they are 6 weeks of age) and leave the female pups with the mother.

They open their eyes between 16 and 20 days of age and they should already be walking a little bit although very wobbly. They can walk fine around 3 weeks of age.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-06-2009, 12:13 PM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

Thank you both for your help
I'm not sure if I want to breed again, and i have 2 cages right now, so I might keep gizmo and 1 boy in one cage, and gabby and 1 girl in another

Pround owner of :

1 male black lab - Monty
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-06-2009, 03:14 PM
Playful Pup

sounds like a good idea hun because at times it can be very hard to rehome baby gerbils as there isnt a big want for them at the moment well atleast not where i live any way.....hope it all works out for you

post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-06-2009, 03:16 PM
Playful Pup

marcia since your a pro gerbil breeder i was hoping you could answer a question for me.....is it possible to get female gerbils neutered?

post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-06-2009, 06:32 PM
the rodent lover&lt;3

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrishB View Post
marcia since your a pro gerbil breeder i was hoping you could answer a question for me.....is it possible to get female gerbils neutered?
I don't think so - But I also dunno what the point of that would be

my name is Jonni,
i'm weird for making my username
Angelica

~ one Betta, unnamed as of now ~
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-07-2009, 04:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrishB View Post
I'm def not pro, i learn things every day lol.

Yes you can get females neutered but most vets won't do it because it can be very difficult to neuter a female. It's much easier to neuter males
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-07-2009, 05:58 AM
Playful Pup

ok thanks for your help its just impossible to re home babies where i live and i dont want to get rid of them because i love them to bits and also dont want to seperate them because i got the female to keep the male company...might keep the male baby with his father and rehome the mother and 3 female babies...

post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-07-2009, 08:19 PM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

where i live , it is kind of hard to re home babies, but eventually you can find homes

Pround owner of :

1 male black lab - Monty
post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-08-2009, 03:25 AM

I've been flooded with emails for gerbil pups lately but i don't have any at the moment lol.
post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-08-2009, 05:50 AM
Playful Pup

ill send you some of mine so because i cant re home them here lol nobody can

post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-08-2009, 07:36 AM

I did have one guy who was prepared to travel from London to Lincolnshire for some. That's a 4-5 hour journey easily.
post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-10-2009, 02:24 PM
Playful Pup

omg lol.... wish people would do that here but theres just not a want for gerbils.....ve decided to keep the male baby with the daddy and try and rehome the mother and 3 female babies ....

post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-11-2009, 01:17 AM

A friend of mine from Dublin never had any trouble either although she's stopped breeding now.
Maybe having gerbils as pets just isn't the craze at the moment and everyone wants something else