New Black Bear Owner - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Gerbil & Hamster Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all things gerbil or hamster related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-16-2006, 01:48 PM Thread Starter

Smile New Black Bear Owner

Hi, i'm new to hamsters and just bought a black bear for my 4yr. and 2 yr. old boys. We were told at PetSmart that this would be the best hamster for our boys and that they are friendly hamsters.

As soon as we got home and took "Linny" out of the box, she bit me and drew blood. After that i got on the internet and started to look for information about these blood thirsty creatures. All i could find was that they are kind and tame.

I was wondering if anyone could point me to a web site for more info on these and other hamsters. I don't want to be an owner that just throws the hamster in a cage and leaves them there. I want to make Linny feel like part of the family and feel safe.

Thanks and i look forweard to talking to some other members.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-16-2006, 02:22 PM

I always heard that you shouldn't handle them for a few days because they can get very stressed out moving to a new home. I would suggest you just let her be for a while and then slowly get her used to being handled.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-16-2006, 05:23 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

I don't handle my hamsters for the first week I have them unless I absolutely need to. The hamster is still getting used to his new home. Also, keep in mind that petstore hamsters are harder to tame since they generally aren't handled as much.

It's better to let the hamster come to you and bribe it with food then to grab at him/her.

Good luck and welcome to PT!

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-17-2006, 08:15 AM

if you want a website here it is:

http://www.hookedonhamsters.com/typesofhamsters.htm

this website also says that Black Bear hamsters are tame, but it all depends on the hamster. There info on hamster care too.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-17-2006, 03:46 PM

A four year old is way too young to care for a hamster or even an ant farm. I assume (and hope) YOU will care for the pet every day and supervise your children in handling. Keep reading and researching care.

Syrian hamsters will not bite when handled properly. I have had dozens and every one I could kiss on the nose, including Maggie who I rescued biten and screaming in terror from an overcrowded bin; three days later I could kiss her.

Old taming threads must be all over this forum. Do a Search.

Basically,

LEAVE THE HAMSTER ALONE FOR SEVERAL DAY minimum.

LEAVE THE HAMSTER IN A QUIET PLACE WITH A NICE PLACE TO HIDE AND SLEEP and feel secure.

DO NOT WAKE THE HAMSTER UP.

DO NOT GRAB FROM ABOVE.

DO NOT REACH IN THE HABITAT.

TALK GENTLY TO THE HAMSTER WHILE GIVING FOOD and water.

Let the hamster settle in, and then let the ham walk into a tube and walk out on your hand. Pet gently.

Put back in home.

Eventually the ham will trust you.

Check out this link for a new and very cool trick I added to the others!!

RIGHT HERE

Last edited by Zouave; 04-17-2006 at 03:48 PM.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-17-2006, 03:50 PM

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roxy
if you want a website here it is:

http://www.hookedonhamsters.com/typesofhamsters.htm

this website also says that Black Bear hamsters are tame, but it all depends on the hamster.
No it doesn't. Unless ill and in pain, they are ALL tameable. Every one.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-17-2006, 04:19 PM Thread Starter

Thanks so much for the info and web site to goto.

We do plan on taking care of Linny. My 4yr. just keeps on eye on him in his exercise ball as we clean the cage and keep an eye on him.

It was funny to watch my son crawl on the foor, taking to Linny in his ball, saying he can walk like him. Well worth have a pet hamster.

I was able to hold him in my hand and feed him some food the other day. I think he just needed some time to adjust to his new home.

Thanks again for all the info.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-17-2006, 08:40 PM

Lightbulb

Be sure your sons know that hamsters have short lives. We give the best of care, even a vet, but still their lives can be short, like a flower. It is our job to give them happy safe lives, and when they inevitably pass, a safe deep burial.

That is sadly how it is with all pets, more or less, unless a tortoise or macaw which might outlive you!
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-17-2006, 09:59 PM

you are so right Zouave
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-17-2006, 11:42 PM
RAT ADDICT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zouave
Be sure your sons know that hamsters have short lives. We give the best of care, even a vet, but still their lives can be short, like a flower. It is our job to give them happy safe lives, and when they inevitably pass, a safe deep burial.

That is sadly how it is with all pets, more or less, unless a tortoise or macaw which might outlive you!
So right!!

Pets are part of our families and need the best of care,whether they live long or short lifespans!

* Lisa *

* To the world you are ONE person,but to a rat you are the world *

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

* It's a rat thing...you wouldn't understand! *

Tags
bear hamster, black bear, black bear hamster, black bear hamsters, syrian hamster, syrian hamsters