New companion for OLD gerbil? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Gerbil & Hamster Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all things gerbil or hamster related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-13-2010, 12:09 PM Thread Starter

Question New companion for OLD gerbil?

Hi all,

Over the past few months my 8-year-old hasn't really been taking care of her gerbils. . . sisters that she's had for about 3 years now. Instead, I have been, and yesterday I made a terrible, terrible, terrible mistake. I left the cage open. This morning the cat was walking around making her "I've got a rat" meow. I took the (still alive) gerbil from her and put it back into it's cage. It crawled into a corner and lay down and the other gerbil tried to fret over it. A little later it died. (I'm thinking that there must have been some internal bleeding.)

So, now I've got a single, old gerbil, that's probably in mourning and shock (in an awesome 30 gallon tank set-up) and a kid that isn't that interested.

The question is, should I try to find another older gerbil to keep this one company, or will this throw me into a "have a gerbil that your kid doesn't take care of forever" cycle? Should I try to find someone else with an old gerbil that would like to have this gerbil too? Or would it be better to just let this gerbil be an only gerbil for the rest of her life?

Advice? Anyone?

I don't want my gerbil to be miserable and lonely, but on the other hand I don't feel like a particularly wonderful pet owner (when it comes to the gerbils) either. . . And introducing another gerbil would probably be stressful for both of them.

Thanks,

Naomi
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-13-2010, 04:19 PM
I am allergic to maths

You could try adoption, if you look in shelters, papers ect chances are you will find an older gerbil needing a new home. Or, if you are not willing to take care of them yourself, you may consider putting them up for adoption. Gerbils arent great pets for children. You could discuss this with your daughter, if the gerbil is nearing the end of its life span then you may keep it on its own and just give it extra attention, if your daughter or yourself do not want another animal then do not go and get another pet that your daughter will, again, just lose interest in.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-13-2010, 06:16 PM
Paw-Talk Golden Member

aww the poor gebril. rip little one

~The purity of a person's heart can be quickly measured by how they regard animals ~

By Anonymous
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-14-2010, 05:52 AM

Is your gerbil male or female? How old is your gerbil?

Always introduce a younger gerbil to an older one because it decreases the chances of fighting.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-14-2010, 10:52 AM Thread Starter

Hi Marcia,

Female. A little less than 3 years. (I don't remember exactly--but I know we got her in the spring of 2007.) My daughter was very distraught yesterday, but spent a reasonable amount of time handling the living gerbil and feeding it by hand after I suggested that it might be lonely. How much younger is young? I was thinking that surely there were other gerbils in this city whose owners have lost interest in them. My husband offered to construct a double-screen so that we could do the split-screen thing and let them adjust for a couple of weeks. It's a very large tank . . We already have multiple water bottles and food bowls. What do you think?

Naomi
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-14-2010, 10:57 AM Thread Starter

Also Marcia--

Your link goes to pheonix instead of phoenix and doesn't work as a result. . .

Naomi
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-14-2010, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by naomi1431 View Post
Hi Marcia,

Female. A little less than 3 years. (I don't remember exactly--but I know we got her in the spring of 2007.) My daughter was very distraught yesterday, but spent a reasonable amount of time handling the living gerbil and feeding it by hand after I suggested that it might be lonely. How much younger is young? I was thinking that surely there were other gerbils in this city whose owners have lost interest in them. My husband offered to construct a double-screen so that we could do the split-screen thing and let them adjust for a couple of weeks. It's a very large tank . . We already have multiple water bottles and food bowls. What do you think?

Naomi
Ideally you need a female who is not yet sexually mature, this way your older female won't feel that her territory is being threatened. Also the split cage method is the best way to introduce gerbils

Quote:
Originally Posted by naomi1431 View Post
Also Marcia--

Your link goes to pheonix instead of phoenix and doesn't work as a result. . .

Naomi
I have been meaning to update that link in my signature. I'll change it now

Tags
companion, gerbils, old age, question