New Dwarf Hamster - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Gerbil & Hamster Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all things gerbil or hamster related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-05-2006, 08:50 AM Thread Starter

New Dwarf Hamster

Hi everyone,
I'm new here. I spontaneously bought a female dwarf hamster on New Year's Eve and now my resolution is to be a good mother to her. I've been reading all the information I can to make sure I do. I've already started working on the taming process - since she was quite a little nipper the first couple of days. I named her Sesame Seed - because thats what her coloring reminded me of. She's my fluffy little Sesame seed.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg sesame3.jpg (13.4 KB, 30 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-05-2006, 09:56 AM

Welcome to the forum! And congratulations on the new hammy! She's a beauty. If you have any question feel free to ask. 8)

I really like this site of hamster information, in case you haven't seen these one yet.. hehe:
http://www.petwebsite.com/hamsters.asp
post #3 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-05-2006, 10:01 AM
Paw-Talk Lifer

aaaawwww what a cutie Sesame Seed is and welcome to PT

Kirsty

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Visit Degu Rock - Dedicated to Degu Care & Welfare Worldwide

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-05-2006, 10:04 AM Thread Starter

Thanks! I had no idea such a little creature could make such a mess though. She keeps going into her food bowl and digging and the seeds go flying everywhere.
post #5 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-05-2006, 10:26 AM

LOL, yeah... they do make a big mess... I just don't use food bowls with the hammys. It's easier... lol
post #6 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-05-2006, 10:48 AM
Paw-Talk Lifer

I agree they do make a big mess, i fill my hammies bowls up and normally within a few minutes they have emptied them and then they look at me as if to say your starving us look at our empty food bowls Its the only downside for the joy and love they bring to your life

Kirsty

Visit Degu Rock - Dedicated to Degu Care & Welfare Worldwide

post #7 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-05-2006, 10:52 AM Thread Starter

I'm glad to hear it's not just my hamster. I had bought her on New Year's Eve and set up the cage so nicely, had all the food and water filled, the bedding spread. It was picture perfect. I got home very late that night and when I looked at the cage - it was trashed. And Sesame Seed was just sitting in the middle of the mess staring at me.

When I cleaned out her cage, I threw away her old bedding - it was dirtied - but I felt bad because she seemed to miss it. I felt like I had erased all her old smells, haunts, and habitats by washing everything down. When I put her back in she was running all over the place as if it was a brand new home.
post #8 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-05-2006, 12:14 PM

THey do that. At least you have a solid caged. I switched to a wire one when I got my apartment a little over a year ago because I didn't have room for the aquarium anymore and my dwarfies kick everything out those bars. My syrian never did, but the dwarfies do. There is hamster poo a full foot outside of it. I have to vaccuum all the time.

Sesame Seed is a cutie, though. I'm sure she'll bring you tons of joy.
post #9 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-05-2006, 09:58 PM
Aspires to Change Oil

What a cute. I think that's a great resolution! You've come to the right place if you ever need a little helping advice. Welcome to Paw-Talk!

, [username] .
are you new member? have questions?

Feel free to PM or IM me.
Contacts are my profile.
post #10 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-12-2006, 11:05 AM Thread Starter

I was writing such funny emails about my experiences with Sesame that my sister, a web designer, made me a blog to keep track of everything! http://mysesame.blogspot.com/
post #11 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-12-2006, 04:03 PM

My chinese dwarf hamster, Rocky, who passed away earlier this week, never really kicked much out of his cage. I only had room for a tall wire cage (instead of an aquarium), but attached lots of tubes & lookout towers to it. I used carefresh litter & put quite a bit at the bottom of the cage for him to burrow in. He seemed to nest mostly in the tubes, although the urine would leak out, making a different kind of mess! It's all worth it! Lots of luck to you!
post #12 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-30-2006, 02:28 PM Thread Starter

How come she still bites my hand if I reach in the cage? I 've done all the taming techniques and pet her and hold her but the other day I was reaching in to fill her food bowl and she attacked my hand!
post #13 of 28 (permalink) Old 02-02-2006, 02:28 PM
Fluffy Gerbilshorts

She might be associating your hand with the food. Kind of like when u feed them through the bars, and u stick your finger in and they nip at it. I"m not sure though, but that might be it.

*Missy*
post #14 of 28 (permalink) Old 02-02-2006, 03:28 PM

Or, she might be protecting her territory. Some animals see the cage as their sanctuary, and even if they are tame and playful out of the cage, nip/bite if you put your hand inside the cage. If this is the case, then you should try to let her get out of the cage by herself, and walk into your hand.
post #15 of 28 (permalink) Old 02-06-2006, 08:27 AM Thread Starter

She doesn't really bite me outside the cage so maybe that's it. Though, the other night I had a guest at the house and I warned him that he would get nipped if he tried to pick Sesame up but he just reached in and, with much confidence, picked her up and she didn't even react of flinch. And then I had to practically drag her out of his hand when it was time for her to go back to her habitat. How come she responded so well to this stranger when, for weeks, I've been sitting and talking, and petting, and slowly trying to get her used to me?? My sister suggested that it was because he picked her up without fear?

Anyway, I put some cute new pictures of her in her critter ball up on her blog: http://mysesame.blogspot.com/

Tags
dwarf hamster, food bowl, food bowls, wire cage