New Hampster Owner... Needs advice. - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Gerbil & Hamster Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all things gerbil or hamster related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-31-2010, 06:58 PM Thread Starter

New Hampster Owner... Needs advice.

Okay! I just got my first hamster yesterday with cage and everything. The next day we thought it might be a good idea to get a 2nd one for it to have company. I am hoping that this wasnt too soon! The first hamster we got is a russian dwarf hampster and the 2nd is a chinese hamter. They keep fighting... will they eventually get along or do I have to separate them? I just dont want them to kill eachother. Help!!

Last edited by thehappywhip; 01-31-2010 at 07:15 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-31-2010, 07:02 PM
Hello Earthling

I would seperate the hamsters, now.

post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-31-2010, 07:05 PM
RAT ADDICT

Separate.

If they are fighting,they probably won't stop and one is going to get injured or killed.You made a big mistake,you put them together without introductions on neutral ground! NEVER just put two strange animals together like that.

* Lisa *

* To the world you are ONE person,but to a rat you are the world *

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

* It's a rat thing...you wouldn't understand! *
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-31-2010, 07:06 PM
Betta Bomb

One, its HAMSTER not hampster....
Two, You should have definetly given it a few days to let the first one to become acquainted with its new home before throwing in another hamster!!! Seperate them at once before they kill each other (because they will) and do more research on owning hamsters. Hamsters are generally solitary critters though I think the Russian Dwarves can get along with their own breed, not a different one. Chances are you ruined them both of ever having a successful roomate as well since they take time in a neutral territory to get used to each other. You NEVER NEVER throw 2 hamsters in one cage with the scent of only one of them!!

Anyway, you came to the right place to learn about your hamsters!!
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-31-2010, 10:52 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

I would separate them, mixing species doesn't usually work out to begin with and you can't throw random hamsters together. Don't worry about them getting lonely, they'll be fine .

Good luck!

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-01-2010, 04:37 PM

Yikes, yeah, you need to separate them.

Aside from the fact that they are completely separate species, Chinese hamsters are more territorial than Russians. So they would probably fight indefinitely. Chinese hamsters don't like to share. Introductions probably would not have helped anyway.

Russian hamsters can sometimes live together, but usually only with littermates, and even then you often have to separate them eventually. They are communal in the wild, but in a cage it is a different story because they don't have the option of running away.

It might be possible to get two different species of hamsters to live together, but every time I have seen it tried it has not ended well. A local pet store here in Denver tried to mix Syrians and Russians together...I came back a few days later and one of the Russian hamsters was missing an eye. Just sayin...

Last edited by pruje; 02-01-2010 at 04:40 PM.
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-01-2010, 05:40 PM
RAT ADDICT

Quote:
Originally Posted by pruje View Post
It might be possible to get two different species of hamsters to live together, but every time I have seen it tried it has not ended well. A local pet store here in Denver tried to mix Syrians and Russians together...I came back a few days later and one of the Russian hamsters was missing an eye. Just sayin...
Well Syrians are solitary anyway and have to be housed alone.So I would never house a Syrian with any other hamster regardless of it's own species or not.

But I have heard dwarfs can live together sometimes,but it doesn't always work out.

* Lisa *

post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-16-2010, 11:27 PM Thread Starter

Well, having them in there together for awhile seemed to have broken the ice. They now lay with each other and don't chase each other about the cage as often anymore. I think it was more of a battle of dominance vs a battle of life or death. They get along just fine now. Thanks for all the advice!
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-17-2010, 01:48 PM
Betta Bomb

This wont ensure they wont fight again. I'd seperate them and my wonderment is spent on why you didn't immediatly seperate them upon posting here!
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-15-2010, 09:34 AM
Adolescent Pup

Me too I would separate them. I have been told that Most hamster get really bloody in fights and sometimes unfortunately kill each other or one will win and eat the other. In fact I had a friend who put the two hamster together and the next day she found the one she just bought eating the other one. It sound sick and untrue but it is true so you never know.

Lola

Daisy

Gohan

Itchy

Selena

Frogger
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-16-2010, 07:43 PM
Betta Bomb

One: This is an old thread and the owner probably figured something out and two: the reason is bc people assume any pet they take home from the pet store must have been domesticated by humans. Hamsters and most other critters we keep have been bred over generations but still adapt to their natural tendancies. People think they dont need to research the animals they bring home. :/ Thats a sad existance.
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-16-2010, 07:51 PM
Adolescent Pup

I know its sad that people don't research the animals before they take them home but it happens..and i didnt know it was old o.O

Lola

Daisy

Gohan

Itchy

Selena

Frogger
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-16-2010, 07:54 PM
Betta Bomb

No matter!! Just be looking at the dates posted directly above the user name. Its ok ^^
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-17-2010, 04:26 PM
RAT ADDICT

Yes,that is why pet stores suck...because people walk in,see something cute and buy on impulse without knowing anything about the animal.And the employees allow it...they don't ask people questions (well sometimes they do,but that is rare) and they sell to anyone who walks in and plops money down!

* Lisa *

post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-17-2010, 06:54 PM
Adolescent Pup

Well even some pets store sell Puppy Mill puppies, so you can't expect much from a store like that. I have had a moment where it was a total impulse to buy a animal(my snake) and I asked so many questions finally the guy that was selling the snake got tired and just handed me a pamphlet about the snake, shows how good they are >.>

Lola

Daisy

Gohan

Itchy

Selena

Frogger

Tags
chinese hampster, dwarf hampster, introducting, new hamspters