Paw Talk - Pet Forums banner
2K views 11 replies 8 participants last post by  Angel Girl 
#1 ·
I just got my first hamster about 2 weeks ago. He (or she) is a cute little dwarf hamster and I've named it Buster. Its eating good, and I clean the cage once a week. I try to handle it as much as possible to get it used to me, but its still really scared. I'll post pictures soon.

#4 ·
Just like newborn babies, getting them used to both the soothing sounds of your voice and the smell of you are great cues towards recognition.

Good luck, and congrats on your adoption!

Reactions: Shiremaya
#5 ·
Well, its been about 2 months since I bought Buster, and he still doesn't want to be petted or handled by me. I try to spend time with him every day, talk to him, offer him treats from my hand, and pick him up every once in awhile, and he is still scared. Is it hopeless, or should I keep trying? It just seems like if he hasn't warmed up to me yet, he's not going to.

#6 ·
Do you ever user a big tube? I buy these Chubes in pet stores. The dwarfs will walk into it, and I then let them walk onto my hand, which they eventually will do. They will look around, and sniff; sometimes they start walking up my arm - cute, but I carefully make sure they don't fall.

I never pick them up from above nor surprise them.

I can gently pet them without them trying to nip me.

Several are very tame; daily handling is needed. None apear "scared" by this. Some will jump at and try to bite things that are above them "invading" their territory.

I assume he gets peace and quiet, a nice hide box, and a wheel (without rungs) - Comfort Wheels are great. Tissue makes good bedding.

I am not sure what you mean by "scared", or how they act that concerns you. Tell us.

#7 ·
He could just be frightened because he is alone. In general dwarf hamsters are colony critters and prefer to be in pairs.

Some hamsters just take longer to adjust than others. Some of it depends on personality and how they were treated before you got them. I had one that was scared of her own shadow. It took a year before I could actually hold her more than just to pick her up and move her.

#9 ·
Dwarf hamsters can be housed in pairs or colonies. Syrian are solitary and MUST be housed alone. However, your hammy is a couple of months old, already sexually mature and introducing him to a new hamster will be extremely difficult and probably impossible, so I suggest you that you don't go out and buy another hammy to keep him company. As Aya said, patience and keep trying to handle him, taking one small step at a time.

#12 ·
Cuddle him as much as you can, while watching tv, eating dinner, any time you go out, put him in a little bonding purse. I do this with my sugar gliders, any chance I get, where I'm in a situation where I'll be sitting, or chatting, I'll make sure they're on me somewhere... in my sleeve, in my shirt, or in their bonding pouch. The more cuddle time you can get with Buster, the closer he'll get to you. Good luck! Luvin' is the key!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.