New Hamster - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Gerbil & Hamster Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all things gerbil or hamster related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-14-2005, 09:43 AM Thread Starter

I'll be getting a hamster in a few weeks and I was wondering which is the best kind to get. I had a couple of Teddy Bear hamsters when I was younger and they were sweet. I believe they both were male.

I have two young children and I don't want them to get bit by an aggressive hamster.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-14-2005, 07:17 PM

Out of the common pet rodents, hamsters are the most prone to bite. Many people will even tell you that they are nasty. I don't think so, but I do tell you that it's true that they are more prone to bite than any other rodent. If you have children, I suggest you get a syrian (teddy bear, golden, panda bear, black bear, ect. are all syrians, they just call them names according to their color and coat). Dwarf hamsters are smaller and more delicate for a young child to handle. Also, they are faster, which would make them more prone to accidents. Some people say that dwarves are more prone to bite than syrians, but in my experience, it all depends on how they are bred and raised. If you want a hammy less prone to bite, I suggest you get a hamster from a breeder, who handles the pups since they are young. That way, the hamsters will be more socialized when you get them, and will adjust more easily to you and your children.
You might also want to look into other rodents. Gerbils are far less prone to bite than hamsters, and are a lot more active. The only drawback, would be that they are way faster, so your kids would need to be more careful when handling them.
Last, your kids, if they are too young (and I assume they are by what you say), should always be supervised when handling the rodents, to make sure that thay don't mishandle or harm them accidentally. This will also protect them from bites, since a rodent can bite if it feels threatened. Good luck in finding a new pet!
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-14-2005, 10:30 PM

I have handled several Syrian hamsters every day for years. I have been biten just twice, and each time it was my fault for doing something wrong, such as surprising one or pinning all four legs with my fingers.

Incidentally, the bite hurt only slightly (but bled alot) as the teeth are like thin needles that went in and out quickly. No big deal.

Your kids had better be supervised especially if under 12.

There are LOADS of older threads about hamster care on this forum you can go back and read. You can also go to this site RIGHT HERE.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-14-2005, 10:37 PM

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Padfoot
Out of the common pet rodents, hamsters are the most prone to bite. Many people will even tell you that they are nasty. I don't think so, but I do tell you that it's true that they are more prone to bite than any other rodent...
Being biten by a Syrian hamster is so rare (at least in my case) as to be discounted. In the past three years, after daily handling of them, I have been biten twice and each time I got careless and did something dumb.

Once tamed, I can kiss each one on the nose without problem. It took me only a matter of days to fully tame them.

But yes, kids have to be properly supervised. And SQUEEZING and HUGGING a Syrian may well get you biten - and you will deserve it for being stupid!!
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-22-2005, 04:27 PM

out of all rodents I think rats are the best they do bite at first butm thats only before they are used to being handled my sis has 4 rats herself.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-24-2005, 08:59 AM

That is so not true! Most rats do not bite at first, only ones that have never been handled much. Of all my rats I only had one ever bite me and it was because she was bought pregnant from a petstore and was very hormonal
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-25-2005, 09:02 PM

Rats are more work than a Syrian hamster requiring bigger anmd different housing, and time out of the cage in a rat-proofed room.

I have never heard of rats biting either. I had one feeder rat I was handling climb up my coat sleeve and hide. I still feel bad about that rat as I was just looking.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-27-2005, 10:41 AM

well I guess the one that we have that bit before just wasnt well handled at the pet store (she was considerd a feeder there)
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-07-2005, 07:11 PM Thread Starter

I don't care for rats. I don't think I'll ever have a rat. I don't dislike them, but they are not for me.

Well I ended up getting a dark brown hamster and a few weeks later another light tan hamster. They live in separate cages in different rooms. They both are darling, but the light tan one needs a bit more handling. She likes to jump out of your hands sometimes. Their names are Caramel and Brownie. I'll get a picture later on tonight and post them tomorrow, if not later on tonight.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-07-2005, 07:17 PM

Best to them.

Yes, jumping like that is common in a hamster needing more taming. Keep something in front of their noses so their whiskers feel it, that way they won't jump. Oh, those of mine that did that stopped within days with regular handling and me talking to them.

Tags
bear hamster, black bear, dark brown, dwarf hamster, dwarf hamsters, pet store, separate cages, syrian hamster, syrian hamsters, teddy bear, teddy bear hamster, teddy bear hamsters