New Hamster!! - Page 3 - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Gerbil & Hamster Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all things gerbil or hamster related.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #31 of 41 (permalink) Old 02-14-2007, 12:54 AM
Playful Pup
 
SunfireKat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Spokane, WA
Posts: 40
 
Whoa, how did I just miss that post?...I missed where you said it was him, and thought it was another one that had passed away that everyone was talking about. No wonder I was confused...I scrolled up and this time I caught it. I'm so sorry to hear that the little guy is gone...do you have any idea as to what happened?
SunfireKat is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #32 of 41 (permalink) Old 02-14-2007, 01:10 AM Thread Starter
Resident Aquarium Nerd
 
Sasami's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Murfreesboro, TN
Age: 29
Posts: 9,930
   
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunfireKat
Whoa, how did I just miss that post?...I missed where you said it was him, and thought it was another one that had passed away that everyone was talking about. No wonder I was confused...I scrolled up and this time I caught it. I'm so sorry to hear that the little guy is gone...do you have any idea as to what happened?
I don't know but he seemed "off" from the beginning . He would never come out of his box and he only ate like one piece of food. I've only had him since Friday . He was from PetsMart and although they take good care of their rodents I'm sure their supplier probably doesn't . I was so stupid to go there.




~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.




Sasami is offline  
post #33 of 41 (permalink) Old 02-14-2007, 01:27 AM
Playful Pup
 
SunfireKat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Spokane, WA
Posts: 40
 
Believe me, Petsmart is much better than other pet stores, such as Petco...a lot of the staff at Petsmart (or at least my petsmart) take as good of care as they can of the animals. The only problem with them is that they're corporate; all corporate chains like that have set rules that you HAVE to follow. Even my own work is corporate, though I tend to try to bend the rules as much as I can without getting in trouble.

I guess he wasn't just shy, but sick from the beginning...that's so sad. Poor little guy, a lot of the time they get stressed from shipment too. Do you know how long the little hammie had been at the store, and when his shipment came in? Was he in a cage with others that he could have gotten a sickness from?
SunfireKat is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #34 of 41 (permalink) Old 02-14-2007, 08:56 AM
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 1,240
 
Awwww I am so sorry to hear that Steph!! I hope things start going better for you!!
sara8 is offline  
post #35 of 41 (permalink) Old 02-14-2007, 12:01 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer
 
Kendalle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Iowa
Posts: 5,083
  
aw im sorry. pet smart normally does really well with their animals, i checked when our rat got sick that we got there they have a vet and treated our little girl and gave her back to us. i hope your year starts getting better

[/CENTER]

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Kendalle is offline  
post #36 of 41 (permalink) Old 02-14-2007, 12:58 PM
Title Thief Victim
 
Carissa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: *No man's land - Maine*
Age: 31
Posts: 3,089
 
Thing's happen...Im sorry Atleast he didnt pass away at the petstore. He was with you for a little while..it was propbley the best little while ever!

Carissasaurus Rex
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.




To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Carissa is offline  
post #37 of 41 (permalink) Old 02-14-2007, 02:22 PM
Part of the Pack
 
nik8806's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Anchorage Ak
Age: 31
Posts: 405
 
Sorry to hear about your favorite fishy too!! =( I just started getting into fish again, and just thinking about them dying makes me want to cry! they do have personality!
I agree with the above post, at least he was in a nice home with you for a short time when he passed, and not stuck in a small cage in a pet store =( im very sorry! hopefully the rest of the year will go better for you!!!
nikki
nik8806 is offline  
post #38 of 41 (permalink) Old 02-14-2007, 07:00 PM Thread Starter
Resident Aquarium Nerd
 
Sasami's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Murfreesboro, TN
Age: 29
Posts: 9,930
   
Thanks, everyone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunfireKat
Believe me, Petsmart is much better than other pet stores, such as Petco...a lot of the staff at Petsmart (or at least my petsmart) take as good of care as they can of the animals. The only problem with them is that they're corporate; all corporate chains like that have set rules that you HAVE to follow. Even my own work is corporate, though I tend to try to bend the rules as much as I can without getting in trouble.

I guess he wasn't just shy, but sick from the beginning...that's so sad. Poor little guy, a lot of the time they get stressed from shipment too. Do you know how long the little hammie had been at the store, and when his shipment came in? Was he in a cage with others that he could have gotten a sickness from?
Yeah, they do take good care of their animals (except the fish)...actually, PetCo does just as good as a job but that's 'cause our PetCo is really awesome for some reason. But the places where they get the animals from are...well, questionable.

He was from a new shipment. It looked like they had just gotten in rodents because they literally had every hamster species you usually see in the pet trade...Russians, Campbell's, Robos, Syrians, Chinese....If I get another one I'll get one from a different cage just in case.




~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.




Sasami is offline  
post #39 of 41 (permalink) Old 02-14-2007, 07:31 PM
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 91
 
That happened to a little hamster I got from Petco. I got this beautiful cream colored little Syrian. She was really active when I first brought her home. We only live 15 min from the pet store. I put her in her home. She was running around exploring, eating, drinking acting like all was well. Then over night she was just quiet, sleeping in her little nest ball. Would only come out to pee. She stunk terrible. I called the store and told them what she was doing and also about the odor. They told me she probably had "Wet Tail" and that I could either bring her back and they would sell her to someone else OR that I could feed her some cabbage and wash her bottom with a warm washcloth. They never said anything about them taking her to the vet. I immediately read online about "Wet Tail" and called a vet. They had me bring her right in. Then I told the vet everything she was/wasn't doing, the odor and what the store told me to do. He could not believe it. He checked her out, heart, lungs and told me that she was terribly dehydrated and was having respritory problems already. I only had her 1 1/2 days. He said there was nothing that could be done basically as she was already too far gone and she was sick when I got her because they don't get into this condition over night. The store said they would take her back, give her medicine and pay for the vet bill. Then, they called the next day and told me she died. I felt very bad. That was my little Su-Mee.
C_Wilson is offline  
post #40 of 41 (permalink) Old 02-14-2007, 08:21 PM Thread Starter
Resident Aquarium Nerd
 
Sasami's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Murfreesboro, TN
Age: 29
Posts: 9,930
   
Quote:
Originally Posted by C_Wilson
That happened to a little hamster I got from Petco. I got this beautiful cream colored little Syrian. She was really active when I first brought her home. We only live 15 min from the pet store. I put her in her home. She was running around exploring, eating, drinking acting like all was well. Then over night she was just quiet, sleeping in her little nest ball. Would only come out to pee. She stunk terrible. I called the store and told them what she was doing and also about the odor. They told me she probably had "Wet Tail" and that I could either bring her back and they would sell her to someone else OR that I could feed her some cabbage and wash her bottom with a warm washcloth. They never said anything about them taking her to the vet. I immediately read online about "Wet Tail" and called a vet. They had me bring her right in. Then I told the vet everything she was/wasn't doing, the odor and what the store told me to do. He could not believe it. He checked her out, heart, lungs and told me that she was terribly dehydrated and was having respritory problems already. I only had her 1 1/2 days. He said there was nothing that could be done basically as she was already too far gone and she was sick when I got her because they don't get into this condition over night. The store said they would take her back, give her medicine and pay for the vet bill. Then, they called the next day and told me she died. I felt very bad. That was my little Su-Mee.
I'm so sorry to hear that you went through something similar .




~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.




Sasami is offline  
post #41 of 41 (permalink) Old 02-14-2007, 10:46 PM
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 115
 
Sorry to hear about the hamster and fish.
Kalilady is offline  
Reply

Tags
aspen shavings, black bear, fish tank, pet store, pet stores, pet trade, wet tail


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome