new hamster and new user :) - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Gerbil & Hamster Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all things gerbil or hamster related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-01-2010, 01:41 PM Thread Starter

new hamster and new user :)

Hi all

i have wanted a pet for a while now but my girlfriend and my mom are both allergic to large amounts of fur

i thought about getting a budgie for a while or a lizzard but changed my mind last week.

i went to the local petshop and was looking around and saw a bunch of baby syrian hamsters, looking closer at them i fell in love with them

i then decided to buy one of the hamsters that day with everything else i needed

i spoke to the lady and picked a 3 week old girl

i have a few questions though

once i had her home and set up in the cage, watching her i noticed she has a limp paw(she wont put much pressure on it) she runs in her wheel but slips sometimes and holds it close to her chest. does anyone know why this could be? birth defect, or fall or something?

next question is, what sort of toys could i make for her so she can have more activities to play with etc

she has her wheel, a ball, and some toilet roll tubes to play with.

next question, i have seen a few pictures on google and on here of like a mesh fence which you place on the floor as a guard so the hamster can be placed in there and not escape. does anyone know where i could buy these from?

any help is much appreciated

Ben
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-01-2010, 06:21 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Welcome!

Have you called a vet or the pet store to ask about the limp? It's impossible to diagnose something like that over the internet but hopefully it's nothing too bad .

Hamsters love to climb and explore so houses and climbers sold at pet stores are great (and if they're wooden she can chew them, too). I've also given hamsters ladders, hanging bird toys, rawhide chews, boxes, mini sandboxes with dust bath and hidden treats, flavored chews, branches, and nut knot nibblers (they're wooden puzzle toys with a nut in the middle).

You probably saw a picture of an exercise pen. They sell small hamster-sized ones at most pet stores .

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-01-2010, 09:41 PM
Paw-Talk Addict

As it's from a pet store, it's hard to know what could have happened or gone wrong...
Does her paw look swollen?

As for toys...you can do a great many exciting things with paper towel rolls and toilet paper rolls...you can put some food inside, or maybe even a treat, and stuff both ends with an easily-removed and hamster-safe stuffing. Say..paper towel shreddings.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-01-2010, 10:31 PM
Betta Bomb

When I had my hamster Button I totally clogged the 3 storey cage with ladders and ropes and things to climb on. Wheels MUST NEVER be the grid kind with the links in the bars because paws get caught in them and quite possibly this is what happened but like others said it's impossible to tell. Please get a plastic wheel if you havent already so his feet dont get caught in it. Hamsters love things to run through and climb on, bricks, ramps, see-saws, poles... etc, let your imagination loose when thinking of things for hammie to do!!
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-02-2010, 08:33 AM Thread Starter

her paw seems to be smaller than the others and curled inwards more.
i took her to the pet store and the owner said it could be one of many things and offered me an exchange, but i couldn't do that. it's not her fault she isn't well or whatever is wrong with her

as for toy's thankyou for the ideas and help

i have some toilet roll tubes in the cage for her and she loves them, also i ordered a see saw toy yesterday so that should arrive next week some time.

post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-02-2010, 09:09 AM
RAT ADDICT

Hi and welcome.

If her paw gets swollen or any worse,she may need to see a vet.But it also may heal on it's own if it is not anything serious.Maybe you could call and ask them what they say?

As for toys,the other members gave great suggestions.
My old hamster loved his wheel and loved the hamster ball,so maybe you could get one of those.

* Lisa *

* To the world you are ONE person,but to a rat you are the world *

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

* It's a rat thing...you wouldn't understand! *
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-02-2010, 09:14 AM Thread Starter

i already have a ball and a wheel, thankyou for the suggestion

her paw is slowly getting better but it still looks like she is struggling with it. it's not stopping her doing the things she needs, just sometimes she seems to struggle getting up her ladder, etc

she is using it more so it is healing/ getting better.

also, can someone link me to a thread of hamster pictures please?
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-04-2010, 06:25 PM
Betta Bomb

ONe thing I read when I had Button is not to keep a wheel in the cage all the time. Restrict it to like once or twice a week. Hamsters become OCD over wheels and wont play with anything else. This is why I lined the cage with ladders and ropes and everything else. Button was never reliant on his wheel so I had no problems.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-04-2010, 06:37 PM
RAT ADDICT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purple-Hops View Post
ONe thing I read when I had Button is not to keep a wheel in the cage all the time. Restrict it to like once or twice a week. Hamsters become OCD over wheels and wont play with anything else. This is why I lined the cage with ladders and ropes and everything else. Button was never reliant on his wheel so I had no problems.
I do this with my mice now.
Will take the wheel away for a day or two,because otherwise that is ALL they do! My hamster was pretty obsessed with his wheel too and I had to sometimes do this for him.

* Lisa *

* To the world you are ONE person,but to a rat you are the world *

* It's a rat thing...you wouldn't understand! *

Tags
hamsters