New Hamster: Q-Tip - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Gerbil & Hamster Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all things gerbil or hamster related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-09-2010, 07:19 PM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Addict

New Hamster: Q-Tip

This is my new hamster, Q-Tip. We got him today along with two others from a different litter, but he's going to be housed by himself.

Jenny, Zookeeper Extraordinare

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Mom to:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Pooters, Gracie, Mr. Muggles McLovin It (all three Chi mixes), Angel (Lab mix), and Nina (Sheltie mix)

: Hollands: Peneloppy, Sunkist, Scooby, Toby, Timothy, and Dante; Jersey Wooly: Dini and Dana; Lionheads: Cricket, Tinsel, Missy, Mrs. Jingles, Winnie; Netherlands: Quasar, Amos, and Shutterbug; Havana mix: Colby; Fuzzy Holland Lop: Henry; Velveteen Lops: Prudence and Jude AKA Tigger

Fernando

Benny

Maverick (Bearded Dragon) and Panda (Leopard Gecko)

Lionel (Ball Python) and Arrow (Cornsnake)

Falcon, Sherbert, Razzle and Pearl (All Bettas)

RIP Arthur
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-09-2010, 08:00 PM
Paw-Talk Addict

Isn't that a Chinese Hamster?
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-09-2010, 08:01 PM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Addict

White Russian Dwarf.

Mom to:

Pooters, Gracie, Mr. Muggles McLovin It (all three Chi mixes), Angel (Lab mix), and Nina (Sheltie mix)

: Hollands: Peneloppy, Sunkist, Scooby, Toby, Timothy, and Dante; Jersey Wooly: Dini and Dana; Lionheads: Cricket, Tinsel, Missy, Mrs. Jingles, Winnie; Netherlands: Quasar, Amos, and Shutterbug; Havana mix: Colby; Fuzzy Holland Lop: Henry; Velveteen Lops: Prudence and Jude AKA Tigger

Fernando

Benny

RIP Arthur
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-09-2010, 08:04 PM
Paw-Talk Addict

Ohh. Aren't they social, though? Any reason why he's being housed separate? Just curious.
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-09-2010, 08:06 PM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Addict

Well, there were two others in the cage with him at the pet store, but they were beating up on him and weren't very friendly. I was told they can't be housed with other dwarfs unless they were raised together, and that's been my experience as well. I've tried on two different occassions.

Mom to:

Fernando

Benny

RIP Arthur
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-10-2010, 03:27 AM
Playful Pup

Awww thats so cute ^^ i like the name lol
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-10-2010, 10:13 AM
Amateur Zookeeper

He's adorable! I love him standing on two feet I love when rodents do that!

Purr more, Hiss less

Proud Owner to:
2 girl rats~Marlie and Lola
2 male cats~Scout and Oscar
1 girl dog~Kusa

Always in my heart, my baby girls

Rest in Peace Cleo, Lucy, Snickers, Maya, and Maggie

post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-10-2010, 04:09 PM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Addict

Well, I came home from work and he's gone. I don't know where he is. For all I know the dogs ate him. I have always had dwarf hamsters in wire cages and he was full grown, but somehow he managed to get out. This week sucks. I'm going to bed and not moving for the rest of the week.

Mom to:

Fernando

Benny

RIP Arthur
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-10-2010, 11:05 PM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Addict

Here's the whole story, now that I've calmed down.

Today has been a crazy day. I go to work and everything is fine. I get off work and bought a bunch of toys and houses and stuff for my hamster, come home all excited to see him, and he was missing from his cage! Four hours, a destroyed couch, and a phone call to Petsmart complaining about the cage they recommended to us later, still no Q-Tip. I'm in hysterics at this point. I start heading up to Petsmart to give them a piece of my mind in person (I had two cages that I've bought in the last two days and all the supplies I bought and I was taking them back and vowing to never go back), and my parents called me. The dog alerted them to the hamster who was scurrying between the kitchen and dining room. Thank goodness Emilee has been raised with critters and is gentle with them. All she did was prance around him and bark a couple times. He had a 3 foot or so drop from the table where his cage was to the floor. I was sooo relieved he's alive and well. So I still went to Petsmart and returned the cages, but I bought the Alcatraz of hamster cages, complete with dual-locking screen lid. He's resting comfortably in his Tiki Hut.

Mom to:

Fernando

Benny

RIP Arthur
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-10-2010, 11:09 PM
Amateur Zookeeper

Oh phew I'm glad you found him. I know how your heart stops when you are missing the little fellers!

Purr more, Hiss less

Proud Owner to:
1 girl dog~Kusa

post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-10-2010, 11:10 PM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Addict

I had my stethoscope up to the couch listening for him LOL

Mom to:

Fernando

Benny

RIP Arthur
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-11-2010, 12:03 AM
Amateur Zookeeper

I once had a hamster who climbed under the cushions of the couch and chewed a hole and was inside the couch! That is NO fun to get a hamster out of! Lol

Purr more, Hiss less

Proud Owner to:
1 girl dog~Kusa

post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-11-2010, 12:48 AM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Addict

Well, we heard him in the couch while we were eating dinner, so we turned the couch over and ripped the back off looking for him. Never did find him in the couch.

Of course, my mom felt horrible about the situation and kept asking if I wanted to go get another hamster. I'm 25 years old and I teared up and said "NO! I WANT MY HAMSTER BACK! I DON'T WANT ANOTHER STUPID HAMSTER. I LOVED MINE."

As soon as I came back home after they found him, I snuggled him against my face, and he didn't seem to mind at all.

Mom to:

Fernando

Benny

RIP Arthur
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-11-2010, 02:25 PM
Playful Pup

omgggg too cute!!! :]
random question: where did you get your signature animals?
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-11-2010, 03:23 PM
RAT ADDICT

He is cute and I love the name!
I am glad you found the wee one.

* Lisa *

* To the world you are ONE person,but to a rat you are the world *

* It's a rat thing...you wouldn't understand! *