New member and new parents :) - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Gerbil & Hamster Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all things gerbil or hamster related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-10-2006, 09:53 PM Thread Starter

New member and new parents :)

Ok so about a year ago we had lost our last gerbil due to old age, it was very devastating for me because I actually saw him take his last gasps of breath as he died. A couple days later we decided to get another pair of gerbils, so we went to one of the local pet stores and picked a pair of really cute gerbils out, brought them home and after watching thier personalities decided to call them Pinky and Brain. MIND you all this time we thought we had 2 MALE gerbils...

Then, this saturday, my husband heard some whining coming from thier cage and went over to check and see what all the comotion was about. To his surprise, he discovers 8 tiny/bald/deaf/blind and pink baby gerbils wiggling about.

At this time I was sitting at work so he calls me to break the happy news. He actually wasnt sure how to tell me. But when he did my 1st words were "WHAT? ARE YOU FRICKEN KIDDIN ME?".

I still cant believe this... we've had these 2 gerbils for a **** year, why havent they been pregnant till now? I asked my husband the same question his response " Maybe they had marital problems "

Anyways this is such an exciting experience and I thought I would share our funny/cute story with you all. We will be taking pictures soon!!!!

Oh BTW Pinky ended up being the female so I guess we did good when we named them to begin with
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-10-2006, 10:18 PM

lol maybe your husband was right then! thanks for sharing and good luck with your new additions
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-10-2006, 11:14 PM

Congratulations on the new babies.

My first breeding pair, Martina and Kuzco were together for 8 months before she got pregnant. They had a total of 4 litters, all spaced in between them, even though they were together all the time. They still live together, but no more babies from them since they are over 3 years old.

Keep us posted, and if you have any question, I'm sure any of the gerbil people of the site will be ready to answer it. 8)

Oh, and welcome to PT!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-11-2006, 12:25 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Padfoot
Congratulations on the new babies.

My first breeding pair, Martina and Kuzco were together for 8 months before she got pregnant. They had a total of 4 litters, all spaced in between them, even though they were together all the time. They still live together, but no more babies from them since they are over 3 years old.

Keep us posted, and if you have any question, I'm sure any of the gerbil people of the site will be ready to answer it. 8)

Oh, and welcome to PT!
Thanks so much, yeah I actually have 1 concern right now, and that is Pinky has been keeping the babies in seperate piles in different areas of the cage, there are a total of 7... Is this normal?
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-11-2006, 01:17 AM

awww

awwwww
congratulations
i can't wait to see pictures of them

welcome to Paw-Talk

(i'm new too. yay n00bies)
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-12-2006, 12:44 PM
RAT ADDICT

CongRATS on the little ones!

* Lisa *

* To the world you are ONE person,but to a rat you are the world *

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

* It's a rat thing...you wouldn't understand! *
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-12-2006, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fellisa
Thanks so much, yeah I actually have 1 concern right now, and that is Pinky has been keeping the babies in seperate piles in different areas of the cage, there are a total of 7... Is this normal?
Sometimes moms do that when they have big litters. And usually dad keeps warm one pile while mom nurses the other. Just make sure that all the babies have milk in their bellies and... well this shouldn't be a concern in summer, but make sure the cage isn't in a cold area, where the babies could get too cold.
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-12-2006, 10:08 PM

congrats isnt it so exciting!!!!!i love my babies

rip precious
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-15-2006, 12:24 AM Thread Starter

Ok so now the babies are about a week old and some of them are doing well and there is 1 that hardly moves and is very skinny/malnurished, Im really concerned for it I dont hardly ever see the mom actually taking care of them, like feeding them as often as I think she should but especially this one and I dont know what to do... any advice here would be very appriciated!!

Also she has been doing nothing but scratching in one corner of the cage, its bare so she's just scratching plastic and she wont stop....
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-16-2006, 01:48 AM

The reason they may not have mated until lately is that when gerbils are kept together from a young age, they have this "anti-incest" pheromone. It seem to delay breeding and pregnancy and exists because when living in huge family colonies in the wild, it prevents siblings from mating, and other forms of inbreeding from occuring. For the one baby, I'd say, since it's so young, it's best just to let the parents deal with it. With such a small critter, and being so young, it's best not to intervene... With pups, the parents know better than we do if they have any defects and will sometimes abandon one, to prevent predators from finding the other pups. The digging in the corner is stereotypical digging and they are doing this to burn off excess energy.

Last edited by kimsgerbils; 07-16-2006 at 01:50 AM.
post #11 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-16-2006, 12:02 PM

You have 6 healthy pups out of 7- that is very good- the parents know what to do. Our Natasha was not a very good mother- she constantly threw the babies out of the nest, neglected them, let Boris do all the work, etc. - we went from 7 babies slowly down to three- one of them not very well and we had to supplement her. She is good now, but still much smaller than her brother and sister. If I breed again (when I get some good stock) I am going to build some tall-side nesting boxes so the babies can't get tossed out of the nest. Good luck with the babies and parents. I seperated my boys from the girls at about 6 weeks. She hadn't gotten pregnant again. I was a little disappointed, but figured it was for the best. I want to get a couple nice females because both my boys are nice and I would like to breed them. I am still learning my genetics though. Gerbil genetics are supposed to be simple- but it is all mixed up in my head with the syrian stuff. LOL
post #12 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-16-2006, 07:17 PM

I can try to help out with the genetics stuff if you like
post #13 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-16-2006, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimsgerbils
I can try to help out with the genetics stuff if you like
I would like very much. I need someone to kick my butt to actually do it at this point. You good at kicking butt? LOL
post #14 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-16-2006, 10:40 PM

I can be if needed Feel free to ask me on forum, or even in a PM...
post #15 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-17-2006, 04:15 PM Thread Starter

Ok so if I was to intervene because the baby will die if I dont get him some milk and get warmed, what would you suggest I feed him? kitten replacement milk or evaporated?

Tags
breeding pair, local pet store, pet store, pet stores