new to syrians - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Gerbil & Hamster Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all things gerbil or hamster related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-01-2009, 12:05 PM Thread Starter

new to syrians

hello to all i just adopted 2 black bear syrians they are both approximatly 5 week old litter mates i was just looking for some info on the syrians being that i never had them before i do ave 2 russian dwarfs and i love them to death they are as tame as can be but the knew guys or gals are not they havent bit yet but they are hoppers right out of my hand onto the floor 3 times they are in the cage and settling in now but any expirience is welcomed thank you
Tabitha
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-01-2009, 12:13 PM
RAT ADDICT

Welcome to the forum! I will be getting a "black bear" syrian later this week too! BTW "black bear" is just a cutesy name for a black syrian.They are no different from other syrians,although many people debate this...

First thing first...syrians are solitary animals.So you will need to seperate them.Syrians will fight to the death and are not social like dwarf hamsters.

* Lisa *

* To the world you are ONE person,but to a rat you are the world *

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

* It's a rat thing...you wouldn't understand! *
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-01-2009, 01:45 PM Thread Starter

i figured they were the same as syrians after reading some of the post they are seperated now, at the spca they were together with six babies and mommy but they have been since they were born however i do know syrians fight so i have them in seperate cages they seem to like it my russian dwarf even though they are very friendly dont like each other so they are seperated too at the moment my house looks like a pet store with all the cages but i love animals and every week i seem to bring something new home
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-01-2009, 02:01 PM
Movin' Up in the Pack

Hehe! You sound like me!! My husband threatened to kick me out if I brought home another animal!!!

As Lisa said, they are def. solitary animals and DO NOT like each other!!! Let them get settled in for a few days then try feeding them treats out of your hand, slowly working up to petting them while they take it. They are usually very lovable once they get to know you!! Although most don't like to be "cuddled" so to speak, they enjoy being held and interacting with you even if it's just playing on the floor around you! Which reminds me, another good way for them to adjust to you is to sit in a dry bathtub with them and let them walk around on you and get used to your smell! Also, always wash your hands before trying to pet them so you always smell the same to them!! You can also try rubbing their bedding in your hands so you smell like them!! Good luck with the little guys and post some pics when you can!!!

Oh yeah, WELCOME!!!!!

Mandy
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Happily owned by:
Baby--female calico kitty
Dale-- male black lab
Coco--male hamster
Rascal--male hamster
Mr. Squeakers--male guinea pig
Phineas--male guinea pig

RIP Patches. You were the sweetest hamster I've ever known. There will never be another like you.

RIP sweet little Bugsy. We didn't know you long, but we loved more than you could have known. Sleep sweet little one.

RIP little Sammy. Thanks for 2 and a half wonderful years! You had a long happy life and we miss you more than you know. Play hard, sweetie...

post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-01-2009, 02:37 PM Thread Starter

im trying to get pics of all 4 of my hamsters but they are just to fast for me and im afraid to take the new guys out just yet like i said they love to jump out of my hand i dont want to loosethe little guys i just brought them home today oh they are too cute they got the big ole dumbo ears
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-01-2009, 03:21 PM
RAT ADDICT

Give them a few days to settle and get used to the smells,sounds and sights of their new surroundings.

* Lisa *

post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-01-2009, 05:37 PM
Amateur Zookeeper

Can't wait to see pictures, sounds like everyone answered your questions! But if you need a place for you hamsters to run around you can buy a pet play pen especially made for small animals

Purr more, Hiss less

Proud Owner to:
2 girl rats~Marlie and Lola
2 male cats~Scout and Oscar
1 girl dog~Kusa

Always in my heart, my baby girls

Rest in Peace Cleo, Lucy, Snickers, Maya, and Maggie

post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-01-2009, 07:18 PM Thread Starter

finally got a pic of one of the new syrians i think i will name this one zippy cause everytime i tried to take a picture she would bolt off and it would be blurry but she finally became interested in the phone and went to smell it i beleive 85% that she is a she
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 0901092011.jpg (16.2 KB, 5 views)
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-01-2009, 07:22 PM
Amateur Zookeeper

Aww, she is so cute!! I love hamsters Here this could help you if you aren't sure... http://www.hamsterific.com/HamsterUn...gHamsters.html

Purr more, Hiss less

Proud Owner to:
2 girl rats~Marlie and Lola
2 male cats~Scout and Oscar
1 girl dog~Kusa

Always in my heart, my baby girls

Rest in Peace Cleo, Lucy, Snickers, Maya, and Maggie

post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-01-2009, 07:27 PM
Movin' Up in the Pack

Awwww!! She is soooo cute!! I love the name Zippy too!!

Mandy

Happily owned by:
Baby--female calico kitty
Dale-- male black lab
Coco--male hamster
Rascal--male hamster
Mr. Squeakers--male guinea pig
Phineas--male guinea pig

RIP Patches. You were the sweetest hamster I've ever known. There will never be another like you.

RIP sweet little Bugsy. We didn't know you long, but we loved more than you could have known. Sleep sweet little one.

RIP little Sammy. Thanks for 2 and a half wonderful years! You had a long happy life and we miss you more than you know. Play hard, sweetie...

post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-02-2009, 06:45 AM
RAT ADDICT

She is adorable!!!

* Lisa *

post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-02-2009, 08:21 AM Thread Starter

thanks crwoodyspets but i know how to tell between the sexes ut i just cant get them in my hands right now ill give it a week before i attempt to pick them up i think ill just pick names that could go either way help zippy ha a name but her brother/sister does not (the one that is hurt) something that goes with zippy and could be a girl or boy any ideas let me know

Tags
bear, black, new owner, syrians