Is this normal? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Gerbil & Hamster Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all things gerbil or hamster related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-25-2010, 02:01 AM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

Is this normal?

I have a black bear hamster. i'm not to sure of her age but i bought her from the pet store i work at in april. so i've had her for about 10 months. she was so chubby, which is why i bought her

today, she is skinny and her black hair is getting white patches. she seems fine and her behavior is normal. well she does sleep alot. usually hamsters put their food all in one corner, but she has just stared putting her food in three different corners. she even puts some of her food in her peeing corner. i always take that food out because i don't want her eating her pee. but is this normal? i think it's just her age but not to sure. she does look like a senior.

Brianna Beach

Last edited by bjbeach; 01-25-2010 at 02:11 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-25-2010, 09:34 PM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

bump to top.

Brianna Beach
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-27-2010, 05:18 AM
Playful Pup

The white hair & sleeping could just be age. I have dwarf hamsters, & I've never noticed winter whites eating where they pee, but my robos sure do (they even eat their feces, which is entirely normal). If she was chubby when you bought her, she might just be a normal weight now. Do you have a gram scale or anything you can weigh her on?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-27-2010, 05:22 AM
Betta Bomb

The store you bought her from probably had her for longer than usual. Maybe she's old. When my old Button was getting old he would sleep a whole lot longer and lose weight. He developed a hunch on his back more-so indicating his weariness. One thing for the future is to buy your hamsters from breeders.. Never support the pet stores because they have their small animals supplied by mills which turn out babies by the thousands with absolutely no care or genetics background. It could be that your little one has some genetic disease I hope everything works out well
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-27-2010, 01:50 PM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

our pet store gets our hamsters from a breeder that breeds a whole lot of other stuff.. anything you can name, he breeds it. that's probably not good?

Brianna Beach
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-27-2010, 06:09 PM
Betta Bomb

Nooooo!!! If he breeds 'anything you name it" this makes him a mill owner. Mills are 'breeders' that 'specialize' in turning more animals than is economically or humanely fair. They have no vet care usually and lines and genetics arent traced and fixed. The pet store chain here Pets Unlimited carried puppies(dunno if they still do) and I had an argument once with the worker who tod me they came from a breeder but there's no way a reputable breeder will sell stock to a pet store. Not to mention they were designer 'breeds' which are fancy mutts.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-27-2010, 11:49 PM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

awe, my poor hamster.

Brianna Beach
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-28-2010, 06:02 AM
Betta Bomb

It's something that you have to learn from, it's not your fault if you didnt know. I hope your lil hamiie is ok

Tags
hamster