Not running on wheel?? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Gerbil & Hamster Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all things gerbil or hamster related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-20-2007, 10:36 AM Thread Starter
Part of the Pack

Question Not running on wheel??

I have begun to notice that my dwarf baby ( will be one year on the 29th of december) has been running on his wheel. I began remembering how i would always hear my late hamster on her wheel at night and that I haven't heard him at all. So one night I did a test. I put a couple pieces of his shaving criss-crossed onto the bottom of his wheel, then went to bed. the next morning when I woke up they were still in the same exact spot. I was just wondering if it is bad that he is not running. I have had four dwarfs in the past and they have all loved to run. Thanks for any advise!

My Second Family:

Snickers---2 year old Sheltie pup
Shadow---1 yr German Shepherd pup
Carmen--- cream longhaired boy kitty
Chloe---black shorthaired girl kitty
Tyge---my baby 1 yr dark tiger kitty
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ebony---(girl) 2 yr old silver fox bunny
Baby ---(Boy) gray Bunny 1 yr old!!
Tweety---6 month loud mouth parakeet
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

tubby---Winter white dwarf hamster
? ? ?--- 4 goldfish

Two Baby degu's

RIP-- Prettyboy 3 yeat old parakeet

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-20-2007, 12:56 PM
RAT ADDICT

If he is not running on his wheel,you should take him out to run around more often.Because he will need some sort of excercise,or he can become obese.Do you have a "round about" ball?

* Lisa *

* To the world you are ONE person,but to a rat you are the world *

* It's a rat thing...you wouldn't understand! *
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-20-2007, 05:06 PM Thread Starter
Part of the Pack

Yeah I have one. Whenever I put him into it he will run ariund for about 30 seconds and then just sit there running ever now and then. I also put him into a playpen with toys and cardboard houses and stuff. He will run around all excited for about 3 minutes and then he will go into a house or under a toy and go to sleep. IDK. I think he is just lazy. He is not fat or anything though.

My Second Family:

? ? ?--- 4 goldfish

Two Baby degu's

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-20-2007, 05:44 PM
Fluffy Gerbilshorts

He's probably just lazy I had a mouse that would run on his wheel all the time then all of a sudden he stopped, so I just took the wheel out altogether.

*Missy*
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-21-2007, 07:19 AM
RAT ADDICT

J.J is semi lazy.He will run in his wheel and loves his ball too,but some nights he does just sit around and could care less.

Isn't obesity common in dwarf hammies tho?
Thats what I read somewhere.I could be wrong.

* Lisa *

* To the world you are ONE person,but to a rat you are the world *

* It's a rat thing...you wouldn't understand! *
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-21-2007, 04:52 PM Thread Starter
Part of the Pack

IDK. All of my hamsters have been dwarfs, and they have never been obese, just plump!!lol I don't even think he looks at his wheel. I put a piece of shaving on his wheel and its been in the same spot for about two days now. lazy lazy lazy. Anyone have any suggestions that might make him run onto it more. He used to run onto it all the time and love it, now he doesn't even sit onto it.

My Second Family:

? ? ?--- 4 goldfish

Two Baby degu's

post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-21-2007, 06:33 PM
Salamander Burgermuffin

Maybe hes bored with it? you could try taking it out for a week or so then putting it back?

My Furry Family
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-21-2007, 11:50 PM
Movin' Up in the Pack

My first syrian hamster didn't ever use his wheel, but loved to run through those little plastic tubes. I used to make all kinds of different designs for him to run around in. He also got time in his exercise ball. What type of wheel do you have for him right now? He may not like that particular style? I'm just guessing on that one. My hamsters seemed to like the wodent wheel better than anything!

--------------------
~Marcia

--------------------------

post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-22-2007, 11:36 AM Thread Starter
Part of the Pack

I have a wheel that came with his cage. He has two crittertrail cages connected together by a tube. He has a two story cage connected to a three story cage. I will post a pic. Come to think of it, when he was a little baby I had a small wire mesh wheel for him and he ran on that constatly. He hasn't ran on this wheel much at all. Maybe the next time I go to a petstore I will pick up a larger wire mesh wheel and see if he uses that. Here's the pics.

connected to:

He had the small one before

My Second Family:

? ? ?--- 4 goldfish

Two Baby degu's

post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-22-2007, 01:41 PM
Movin' Up in the Pack

It has been said above. The wheel should always be a solid one, with few rungs. Wire mesh is not suitable, as they may get trapped in it. Perhaps he got trapped in his wheel and managed to get out, hence his dislike of it... Maybe a different wheel could be the solution. Let his run in his ball. He will scoot around, have a little rest or a nap and continue again. But if he runs around continuously, he should not be doing it for mre than say 1/2 hour.. at a time...
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-22-2007, 05:40 PM
Salamander Burgermuffin

Does his plastic wheel spin freely? My friend had one of those and she had alot of bedding in there so it got kind of hard to turn, so the hammie stopped using it.. also sometimes they get a little dust on the part that turns and that will make them hard to turn too.

My Furry Family
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-23-2007, 04:55 AM
Movin' Up in the Pack

When ever I clean their cages, I put just a drop of vegetable oil on the wheel's spindle, to make it turn easier...
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-25-2007, 06:25 PM

My hammie did that. And ever since i just let her run around in her ball more frequently.
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-26-2007, 02:39 PM Thread Starter
Part of the Pack

I have tried the wheel and it spins fine, even with weight. I put him onto it the other day and he walked onto it, then just got off like "whatever" He isn't a sucker for the vegtable oil. I used to do that with my female RWW and she would sit and te edge of her wheel on her back legs, with her front paws grasping the center piece and lick it for hours on end!! lol it was funny! All I can say (and I mean no offence) he a boy!! What can i expect!!! LAZY LAZY LAZY. LOL LOL

My Second Family:

? ? ?--- 4 goldfish

Two Baby degu's

post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-26-2007, 02:42 PM Thread Starter
Part of the Pack

Oh and karlh,
I know about the whole it has to be solid thing, it's just that he seemed to like the mesh one better? IDK. He still has his plastic one anyways!

My Second Family:

? ? ?--- 4 goldfish

Two Baby degu's

Tags
dwarf hammies, syrian hamster, wire mesh