number of hamsters in one cage? - Page 2 - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Gerbil & Hamster Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all things gerbil or hamster related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #16 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-03-2008, 04:17 AM
Zippy Chickenshorts

sorry she gave them away! If I were you I'd get 2 dwarf hamsters as some can still get terratorial if there is a small space, though I have only had syrians..
(sorry about the spelling)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Pipi my hamster
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Rayray
Chico-Rico
Cappuccino my ratties

RIP Arthur 10/04/08-22/11/09
RIP Pepper 13/01/08-15/03/10
RIP Husky 10/04/09-20/03/10
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-05-2008, 02:28 PM

If you got three hamsters from the same person or pet store and they have been in the same cage before it might be ok...but I would make sure that they got along and won't fight.
post #18 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-07-2008, 08:11 AM

Hi. I'm fairly new to hamsters myself, but I just thought I would add the little bit of knowledge I have picked up so far.... Regarding dwarf hamsters, I have heard that Robo's are generally the ones who get on best, so if you want more than one to live together and haven't tried it before, they would be a good type to go with. Other dwarf hamsters are more likely to need splitting.

There are things you can do to minimise the chances of having to split a colony / pair - don't use food bowls, sprinkle feed to avoid either one getting possessive. Have two wheels, to avoid them fighting over the wheel. Don't house them in tube accommodation / units - if you have a Critter 3 and add extra units you are likely to end up with hamsters fighting and becoming territorial.

The best type of cage for more than one hamster is a single level cage, such as a Zoozone, Gabber Rex type cage as there is nowhere for them to corner each other.

There are exceptions to every rule, but this is what I have learned so far anyway! I plan to have Robo's eventually, they are very, very cute hamsters! My sister has a pair that live together quite happily (they are brothers) so it can be done. I still love my Syrian hamsters though.

Ditto what's been said about Syrians - they will kill each other if housed together.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #19 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-09-2008, 02:07 AM
Movin' Up in the Pack

Hanlou: Robos are just adorable, but not the ideal to keep for everyone. They are quite fast, so need a lot of supervision... apart from that nothing against them I could say. I was going to have a pair of Robos for Xmas 2006, but there were none in the London area, so I ended up with couple RWW brothers, from the same litter. They got on admirably, bar few squabbles. They are at times bit feisty in the tubes, but generally just cuddle up and sleep one behind the other. Being so tiny, they can squeeze by each other, or even turn round in there. I clean the tubes every 3 days, as they not only take sawdust in there, but also food. And of course, pee and poo there too...
When they were about 4 months, I installed a second wheel ( as seen on one of my many posts) and 2 food bowls, because they began to argue a bit, as to who was to go/eat first... That has been sorted out long ago and they just sleep together in either of the wheels. As you have seen elsewhere, I have a Rotastak Jungle Explorer as their 'main' cage, connected with a normal, regular, wire topped cage. This they use only to feed and bathe in... As soon as the two cages were connected, they stopped climbing all over the sides and the roof of the wire cage... Still trying to figure out why the sudden change in their behaviour...

Tags
breed dogs, dwarf hamster, dwarf hamsters, food bowl, food bowls, level cage, pet store, separate cages, syrian hamster, syrian hamsters, wire cage