Odd Behavior..... - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Gerbil & Hamster Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all things gerbil or hamster related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-15-2011, 04:11 PM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

Question Odd Behavior.....

My friend's hamster has never really liked her or anyone until now. She still doesn't really like her but is warming up. Sadly I do not care for the hamster, she bit me quite hard. Anyway, my friend wants to know if she has done anything wrong or should do something new.

I
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-15-2011, 06:07 PM
Betta Bomb

What kind of hamster is it?? I hear it's easy to tame syrians (I've had syrians and the longest took like half a year to tame) than it is to tame dwarf breeds. I never had dwarves but if left unhandled they can get aggressive.
I think your friend should try to handle her hamster more often. It's a sin to leave it neglected in a cage. Shearing gloves can help with it if it bites. There are some people here who can help with hand taming a hamster. Good luck.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-15-2011, 07:39 PM
Mouse Obsessor

Depends on what you mean by it does not like her. Some hamsters personalities just do not like to be handled by people.
My Dwarf hamster, Hannibal, does not like handling very much. He is tame, he is not afraid or runs away. I can pet him and he takes food from my hand. But when I go to pick him up he bites me, and he bites anyone else reguardless.
It is just his personality. Sometimes Hamsters differ greatly with eachother.

She should not get her hopes up if the hamster never becomes loving, the hamster could still like her just not like being handled.
Good luck.
(Also, Dwarves tend to be more nippy than Syrians)

My Pets:

1 Rat: (Ace)
1 RC Hamster: (Hannibal)
3 Cats: (Tao, Drew, Jak-ke)
2 Ferrets: (Fisher, Georgie)
1 Betta: (Maxwell) + (5 Platies and 1 Molly)
Rest in peace all my little Mice: Tempo, Aaron, Tatiana, Pei, Shi, Orange, Spotty, Lee Hyun, Key, Calvin, Chun, Jiro, Hero...
And my past Dookers: Lulu (my heart), Frodo (my old man), MoneyPennies (the first one), ect...
Aswell as all my lost Cats (my beloved Haru, ect..) and Bettas (Stahl the creepy one, ect..)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-24-2011, 12:45 PM
Adolescent Pup

It is something to think about. Not all hamsters like to be held, which is a bummer. Unless there is something on her hands that it doesnt like?? A smell i mean?
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-24-2011, 06:24 PM
RAT ADDICT

How long has your friend had the hamster?

If she is a new hamster,she needs time to get used to the smells and sounds in her new home. Try offering a tasty piece of food (you can wear gloves at first if you are not comfortable) and hopefully she will learn that humans bring good things.

However as others have said,it could just be her personality. I had a few hamsters that were not fond of handling and would either bite, scream and run or if I could pick them up,they only tolerated handling at best.

* Lisa *

* To the world you are ONE person,but to a rat you are the world *

* It's a rat thing...you wouldn't understand! *