Odd gerbil injury/death. Does anyone know what happened? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Gerbil & Hamster Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all things gerbil or hamster related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-30-2009, 06:07 PM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

Unhappy Odd gerbil injury/death. Does anyone know what happened?

I've been searching the internet for some explanation as to why my gerbil passed away. So far, I've had no luck. I was hoping that someone on here could possibly help me.

One of my three boys, Skahottentot, is dying. He is just under 2.5 years old, a honey cream (pictured in avitar). I've been very happy with all of my boys. They are wonderful animals, and I'm happy that he can finally be at peace.

I'm not sure what went wrong with him. In early July, he started limping on his back legs. I assumed he had jumped within the cage and twisted/broke something, which with gerbils, usually heel on their own. The injury became progressively worse. His back legs were functioning less and less. I suspect that it was some sort of spinal degeneration because it came on gradually over time. By late July, he was dragging his back legs behind him, only moving around to get the food that I had to hand-feed him. For the last two months, his back end was half as wide has his front (probably thanks to his rib cage). It was a sad sight to see.

Late on Tuesday night, I noticed that he had a separate nest from the other two gerbils. This is usually an indicator that something is wrong especially since they were all together the nights before. He was unwilling to move, smell my finger, or eat, but he was still alive. I held him and tried to give him water from the bottle. He could only drink about 2 licks before giving up again. I could tell he was almost gone because there were bite marks on his feet and dried blood all over his back legs. The other 2 gerbils were very kind and helpful the last few months. The fact that they were finally marking him an outcast suggested that the time was near. I made a separate cage for him so that he could pass peacefully over the next few days.

Does anyone have any ideas as to what happened to my gerbil? Is it hereditary? Just for information purposes, he was from a reputable breeder and had a healthy diet up till the end of his injury.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-30-2009, 06:12 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

I'm sorry for your loss .

Did he ever go to a vet? If so, what did they say? Have you considered a necropsy?

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-30-2009, 09:35 PM
Paw-Talk Addict

When my hamster had a stroke, he lost all function in his back legs - and in much the same routine, only got up to eat from his food bowl.

Only thing I can think of is your gerbil either had a stroke, or something Vitamin Deficiency. :/ Hope you figure it out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-05-2009, 12:58 PM
Playful Pup

You should have taken him to a vet as soon as you saw he was limping . You probably could have stopped him from dying or at least found out what it was . Im sorry for your loss . You can talk to your local vet & find out what he died from . Maybe its a stroke ?
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-06-2009, 04:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SarahB View Post
I assumed he had jumped within the cage and twisted/broke something, which with gerbils, usually heel on their own.
I'm sorry for your loss but gerbils do not have the ability to heal themselves.
If he had broken his leg or suffered from a stroke, he may have been a great deal of pain or shock. Did you get him to a vet?
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-12-2009, 09:20 PM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcia View Post
gerbils do not have the ability to heal themselves.
I wasn't saying that they have the magical ability to heal perfectly. I've just heard from some reliable sources that if they do happen to break a limb, it will eventually heal well enough on its own. That they would limp and move less for awhile until it heals over a couple of weeks. It wouldn't heal perfectly of course, but it would be okay without a tiny gerbil cast or something. lol
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-12-2009, 09:33 PM
the rodent lover<3

Quote:
Originally Posted by SarahB View Post
I wasn't saying that they have the magical ability to heal perfectly. I've just heard from some reliable sources that if they do happen to break a limb, it will eventually heal well enough on its own. That they would limp and move less for awhile until it heals over a couple of weeks. It wouldn't heal perfectly of course, but it would be okay without a tiny gerbil cast or something. lol
Hmm, I think this is partially correct. Just like humans bones heal. When my Drake broke his foot he hopped on 3 legs. He uses it now.

my name is Jonni,
i'm weird for making my username
Angelica
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

~ one Betta, unnamed as of now ~

Tags
death, gerbil, paralyzed