Odd motor skills - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Gerbil & Hamster Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all things gerbil or hamster related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-18-2009, 10:17 PM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

Unhappy Odd motor skills

I have a young female hamster. She is a medium haired piebald, that I bred. This is the only girl that I have ever noticed, that cant climb. She has formed tiny raw skin one, to the point it bled, on the sides of her feet. I noticed she doesn't have the grooming standards of any hamster I have ever had, or bred. She has yet to come into season, while all the other sisters have. I was thinking a late bloomer, but.... these other things have me concerned.

Her rear seems to stay dirty with feces (not wet tail) and urine stains, now to the point that I have to bath her weekly.

I am wondering if maybe she is a bit retarded or runty as it seems she lacks grooming and the ability to walk on the pads of her rear feet. I have never seen her clean and groom herself, and I was thinking of taping her ankles to straighten her feet....

Any Ideas or Comments would be great.

The Lord and Lady love all their children. Even the cute furrbutts
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Paganegyptian; 08-18-2009 at 10:18 PM. Reason: Grammar Correction
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-18-2009, 11:33 PM

oh wow...i dont even know what to say to this. I dont know much about Syrians...but I suggest a vet right away.
This sounds like an over all failure to thrive and the result may have been from brain damage in development/birth canal or a genetic factor. Please avoid breeding the lines that made her and her all together...I really think if its genetic it could repeat!
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-19-2009, 08:00 AM

I agree with Bokuza. Also, if she has raw feet, she could be suffering with a condition called bumblefoot.
It's best to see a vet asap.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-20-2009, 04:00 PM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

well, she is the only one out of 24 pups. So I am guessing it is a fluke. and out of the 24, she always killed off all but 6 from the first litter, and 5 from the second litter. it very well could be something, but from her first litter, she had a girl that was a medium haired piebald... and she is the most healthy from that litter, now weighing 6 ounces, 1 ounce more than her mom, and the same as her dad. everything else seems fine with the girl. she still climbs and walks around, I added a lot more bedding to help reduce raw feet. she eats and drinks normally. She even uses the wheel.

If she gets worse, I will take her to a vet. but right now, her health isnt in danger, so I will delay the visit, at least until I have money from my new job.

Thanks for your input

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-20-2009, 04:07 PM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

I just researched a few things... it is not bumble foot. in fact, she is just a little retarded. They way some retarded humans walk... same thing. I think the rubbing on the old wheel made a small little scab... kinda like carpet burn... So I changed her wheel to a solid plastic, instead of a wire mesh, so her feet can just slid off the wheel and not get caught up if an accident occurs.

post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-20-2009, 04:36 PM
I am allergic to maths

Why is this thread called odd motor skills? Sorry, im having kind of a blonde day
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-29-2009, 10:34 AM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

motor skills, ability to task the body and its response to those task