okay hamster enthusiasts help me. - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Gerbil & Hamster Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all things gerbil or hamster related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-10-2011, 05:28 PM Thread Starter
the bigger heart

Question okay hamster enthusiasts help me.

so i was at the petstore today, like 5 minutes ago. and id taken my mom with me because other than chew toys and rat food i wanted a dwarf hamster. i take excellent care of all my pets so my mom had no concern , i'm just not 18 so i couldnt purchase without her.

anyways, i get there and i'm like aw look how cute, hey miss worker lady can i see this hamster? and she got all mean and said they bite and she refused to let me handle or buy the hamsters. i was really angry. but then i decided i was gonna research a little and see if theres a cause. my cousin has dwarf hamsters. and theyre the sweetest hamsters ive ever seen and i love them. and i know theres like french dwarf hamsters and chinese dwarf hamsters .
the ones at Jack's were siberian dwarf hamsters i believe.
so is there like a specific dwarf hamster thats nice or was it just these hamsters being mean or what. because i'd really like one to add to my furry zoo

My Lovely Little Zoo
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Diesel, Bentley, Easton, Karma,Patches,Harley, Sara, Jose, Flippers<33
"Animals are such agreeable friends, they ask no questions - pass no criticisms"

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-10-2011, 06:44 PM
she-mayor of Whoville

That's odd, does the store have open cages so people can stick their hands down in there and mess with them or are they closed cages and you can only hold them by request?

Personally, my dwarves which are probably winter whites are very nice, but that might be because I bought them when they were very young and socialized them to be nice.

Sometimes when hamsters grow up a bit without being handled, they may not understand what it means to be held and might bite. YOur best bet probably would be to get a young one.

Also, some hamsters are very cage aggressive, meaning they are very bitey and mean inside the cage, but once you get them out, they no longer bite and settle down. The only problem is how to get them out of the cage with out getting bloody!

It just sounds like the woman didn't want to sell any- for whatever reason, and that's her call- kinda stupid, but maybe she's protecting you? I'd rather that, then have you hold one and get bit really hard, or take one home and find out he/she is a big meanie!!!

Just like with most pets, half the battle is how you socialize them!!

Don't forget my youtube channel: fuzzypixie16
And add me on photobucket: tinypixiexoxo

"A person's a person, no matter how small" - Horton hears a Who

Boo the

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Izzie the
Panda Bear the dwarf
Smee the dwarf
Sadi the syrian

R.I.P. Jigglypuff the dwarf
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-10-2011, 06:51 PM Thread Starter
the bigger heart

Theyre in closed cages that are locked, luckily. plus the dwarf hamsters are high up. im 5 foot and theyre well above my head. i got on google and did extensive research and it sounds like they just dont handle them enough. seeing as ive had many rodents and several hamsters and im 16 not 10, i could easily tame one with patience. i think im just going to go to a different pet store in another town and purchase the hamster(s) rather than going back to that nasty lady.

how many do you reccomend? if i get females i thought to get two, but only one male . my cousin has three but they're all in seperate cages now since we found out the hard way the pet sore miss sexed them and carl and pumpkin are boys . she now has 5 baby joys who are doing just fine

any advice though? i have everything i need i just need the hamster aha

My Lovely Little Zoo

"Animals are such agreeable friends, they ask no questions - pass no criticisms"

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-10-2011, 07:21 PM
she-mayor of Whoville

If you want more than one, I highly recommend they are the same sex (lol) and from the same litter. Some claim they can make 2 non-littermates be friends, but that is incredibly dangerous for them, they might kill eachother. So 2 females works pretty well. I've also had 2 males, but one totally dominated over the other.. that's just my experience.

When handling potentials, see if they freak out if you try to pet on the top of the head or back. Some dwarves will spook and flip over trying to bite your finger. If you have one that just lets you pet him or her on the head/back without trying to nip, that might be a winner I have found that is one thing some dwarf hamsters do not grow out of.. it's weird.

You can judge health by if their fur is fluffy all over- no sweaty looking spots... don't get a runt-looking one, it might die... I recently got two females from the same litter, and one was clearly a runt, and she died suddenly..

Other than that, just use your insticts.. if the cage looks well kept and clean, and the hamsters look healthy and happy, those are probably good for pets!

Boo the

Izzie the
Panda Bear the dwarf
Smee the dwarf
Sadi the syrian

post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-10-2011, 07:29 PM Thread Starter
the bigger heart

alright. that sounds good. is sweating a problem? because if i recall right both my cousin's males were sweaty/greasy looking . they didnt feel wet, like to the touch but i also have kind of rough hands seeing as i work with livestock so they might just be too rough too tell.

yeah im gonna try to get one that looks healthy and doesnt nip straight up. so we'll see how that goes. plus our Jack's pets is kind of sketch so maybe a different petstore will have better care.

My Lovely Little Zoo

post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-10-2011, 08:12 PM
she-mayor of Whoville

I'm sure your friend's hamsters are fine, an easy "cure" for greasy looking fur is giving them a dust bath. You can use chinchilla dust but there is also bath powder made for hamsters and gerbils sold at PetSmart here in Illinois.

Basically put about 1 cm of dust in a shallow bowl (not huge) and plop the hamster in, he/she should know what to do because it is natural for these hamsters to find pumice sand and roll in it. Hopefully he/she will roll in the sand and become "dusty" all over, and the fur should fluff right up. He should clean himself, maybe even poop a little ^.^ Basically it is like a fur shampoo without any water. You can conserve the dust and give once a week, but I give mine a bath once a day just because they like it and i can afford to. One box cost.. probably no more than $5 with tax.

I'm not sure what a good substitute dust/sand to use if you cannot find a good one. The brand I use is Super Pet "Critter bath powder", it literally has 2 dwarf hamsters on the box.

I've never heard of Jack's, so I dont know it if it is a chain or not, but sounds like your judgements will guide you to the right store and to the right pet.. looking forward to hearing all about him/her!

Boo the

Izzie the
Panda Bear the dwarf
Smee the dwarf
Sadi the syrian

post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-10-2011, 08:44 PM Thread Starter
the bigger heart

Jack's is a chain. but i dont think it's very popular. i'll tell her to go get some powder. i have some because i have a gerbil . she has a PetLand but im going to Petsmart or Petco tomorrow. thanks for all your help! ill be sure to post a thread and picture or a billion tomorrow when i get him/her!

My Lovely Little Zoo

post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-10-2011, 08:51 PM
she-mayor of Whoville

yayy so excited for you!!

Boo the

Izzie the
Panda Bear the dwarf
Smee the dwarf
Sadi the syrian

post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-11-2011, 09:13 AM
Betta Bomb

I would guess that the worker was judging you by your age... How old are you?? Maybe she makes stupid one-glance assumptions. It's odd that she wouldn't sell the hamster bc the goal of a petstore is to sell their "stock".. If I were you, check craiglist and classifieds first. Trust me, I got a hand raised hamster for free! People mix their small animals like you wouldn't believe and then give away the babies. My sister has also been getting free hamsters and mice and stuff. Cheaper and healthier than petstores.

Petstore stock is bred in factories wheras if you got it off a classified chances are it was raised in a home and is fully weaned and handled.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-11-2011, 11:01 AM
Paw-Talk Lifer

Does your cousin want all 5 babies? 8 hams are a lot of cages for him/her to take care of.

That could be an option.

[/CENTER]

post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-11-2011, 11:18 AM Thread Starter
the bigger heart

yeah she could do it. and she has a real good job and her dads support . the petstore said theyd buy them back if she decided she didnt want some of them since it was their fault they told her the wrong sex.

My Lovely Little Zoo

post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-11-2011, 08:01 PM
Playful Pup

Syrians are very good for younger children because they are larger and naturally docile.

Dwarfs are naturally much more territorial with Humans but are excellent for people who don't want larger species, and they are all also pack oriented which means if given the right circumstances will live with others of the same species.

The different Dwarfs are, Campbell's, Djungarian, Chinese and Roborovski. There is no such thing as a French Hamster, however Siberian and Russian are just other names used to describe the Campbell's and the Djungarian.

Another thing, Roborovskis are more of a "watch" and care for Hamster because they are the smallest, fastest and most skittish naturally of the Dwarfs and it is a bit more tasking to tame them to Humans then say a Syrian or a Djungarian (Which are both naturally docile).

If tamed or raised in the right circumstance all Hamster Species are great pets regardless of Sex.

post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-14-2011, 04:01 PM
Playful Pup

I agree. Syrian hamsters make great pocket pets.
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-14-2011, 04:44 PM
Playful Pup

Quote:
Petstore stock is bred in factories wheras if you got it off a classified chances are it was raised in a home and is fully weaned and handled.
Please try not to generalize this. As not all petstores get animals in this fashion.

~

Lacrima - Great post!
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-14-2011, 06:37 PM
Betta Bomb

Large chain pet stores is generally where people go to buy their pets. It's fact. They greatly outnumber family run pet stores and compete on a grand scale to the point where there is no competition. I know not ALL pet stores are like this but the best majority are. Pets have become a business and money is where it's at.

Granted, there is one pet store here that sells mill raised animals and they buy off babies from customers on the chance they can (bc it saves money). Generally they get a mix of budgies from a mill (sold as "fancy") and hand raised (sold as "reg") and they make more money off the mill budgies bc it cost more to get them but there's always a supply, whereas the family raised ones only are available when someone succesfully raises them. .. Maybe it's the other way around. Anyway.

I'm sure family run stores are supreme and awesome and just the best ever but people need to stop buying pets from pet stores!!! That's just the problem, mill or not. I would never hand over baby animals for a store to sell bc I would want to meet the buyer. The store becomes the middle man, profiting all along the way.

People should try their best to shop at pet supply stores who sell products for, but not live animals. These stores usually have a list of reputable breeders anyway.