Okay, new Chinese Hamster here! - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Gerbil & Hamster Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all things gerbil or hamster related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-11-2010, 05:24 PM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

Okay, new Chinese Hamster here!

Got him today, he is precious. Mouse sized and also in appearance. Tell me everything I should know about handling, treats, bedding (got carefresh but did not get any cotton nesting stuff, should I?) vitamins, and also warning signs of illness, etc. in new hamster. Allegedly he is abt. 4 months old. When I brought him home he sniffed around, then went to groom and then sleep in his mini clay (unglazed of course)flower pot.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-11-2010, 06:11 PM
Amateur Zookeeper

I would definitely get the nesting stuff, the love it!
Other than that I only know about syrians, sorry!
But you will get some very good replies soon
Good Luck!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Purr more, Hiss less

Proud Owner to:
2 girl rats~Marlie and Lola
2 male cats~Scout and Oscar
1 girl dog~Kusa

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Always in my heart, my baby girls

Rest in Peace Cleo, Lucy, Snickers, Maya, and Maggie

post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-11-2010, 06:34 PM
RAT ADDICT

Congrats and good luck with him.

I only have experiance with Syrians too,so I can't tell you much.I think dwarf hamsters are prone to diabetes though.Also make sure you handle him every day,because dwarf hamsters are known to become wild and bitey if they are not handled daily.

* Lisa *

* To the world you are ONE person,but to a rat you are the world *

* It's a rat thing...you wouldn't understand! *
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-11-2010, 07:42 PM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

They actually arent dwarves, just small in stature. lol!! Thanks so much!
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-11-2010, 09:20 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Congrats!

Nope, you don't need that cotton nesting material, it can actually be dangerous if it gets wrapped around a hamster's food or ingested. Instead, tear up tissues and give him hay to nest with . You also don't need those vitamins, they're actually sort of a scam (I'd get your money back), a balanced diet is all he needs.

Don't try handling him right away and let him get used to his new home. You can start by letting him sniff at and climb on your hand (offering small treats like seeds can help), eventually cupping your hands to lift him once he trusts you more. Sitting in the bath tub with him can also get him used to you.

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-11-2010, 11:04 PM
RAT ADDICT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aviate View Post
They actually arent dwarves, just small in stature. lol!! Thanks so much!
See? That proves I don't know anything about the smaller hamsters...my bad! Good luck with him though.

* Lisa *

post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-12-2010, 07:57 AM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

Thanks so much guys. I also thought they were drawf hammies. Petsmart said so too. But upon researching, they are just a different type, and are not bred for size, they are just simply small. They have a longer tail than most, too. They are VERY docile and apparently have the longest lifespan of all hammies (up to 4.5 yrs) though I Am sure most don't make it that far, it would be really nice to try to get him to!! This site wont let me post a link till I reach 20 posts, (tried tried!) but if you google Chinese Hamster, there is some good (though often conflicting) info out there and some nice articles.

Tell me about wood chews vs mineral blocks etc. And what kind of wooden chews do you all use?

What about the food "Carefresh" brand? Tnx!!!!!!!
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-12-2010, 07:58 AM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

p.s. he was out and about most of the night, running in the wheel, etc. CUTE!
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-12-2010, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Thanks so much guys. I also thought they were drawf hammies. Petsmart said so too. But upon researching, they are just a different type, and are not bred for size, they are just simply small. They have a longer tail than most, too. They are VERY docile and apparently have the longest lifespan of all hammies (up to 4.5 yrs) though I Am sure most don't make it that far, it would be really nice to try to get him to!! This site wont let me post a link till I reach 20 posts, (tried tried!) but if you google Chinese Hamster, there is some good (though often conflicting) info out there and some nice articles.

Tell me about wood chews vs mineral blocks etc. And what kind of wooden chews do you all use?

What about the food "Carefresh" brand? Tnx!!!!!!!
They're lifespan is actually 2-3 years although some will live longer. I've found that Syrian hamsters live the longest. Most of mine have lived to reach 4-5 years
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-12-2010, 08:31 AM
RAT ADDICT

Carefresh is a litter,not a food brand.

* Lisa *

post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-12-2010, 10:12 AM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

Quote:
Originally Posted by VanillaRat View Post
Carefresh is a litter,not a food brand.
They make food, too. It is called Carefresh Complete.
post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-12-2010, 12:26 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

For chews, it depends on what your hamster likes . I would try a variety of things...apple twigs, balsa wood, willow, cardboard, flavored chews, pumice stones, etc. See what he likes.

I'm not sure what the ingredients are for that food but can check later and get back to you.

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-12-2010, 04:24 PM
RAT ADDICT

Quote:
Haha...well I learned something else new.Here in Newfoundland,we do not have a lot of the same things as in the USA or even other parts of Canada and so I never heard of Carefresh brand food! We just have the bedding.

* Lisa *

post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-12-2010, 08:54 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

I looked the food up and it looks pretty good (for a hamster food, unfortunately there aren't too many good ones). Remember to supplement it with fresh foods, too, such as small amounts of vegetables and protein sources (chicken, insects, eggs, etc.) .

~Stephanie

post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-13-2010, 12:00 AM
Betta Bomb

Quote:
Hahahaha, I was thinking the same thing for a while wondering if she was feeding paper litter to her hamster !!!

Anyways, I second returning the vitamins, Ive only seen one person give it to her mice and it made them sick b/c they were getting too much of some vitamins supplemented in their food. Plus I noticed they would try to avoid drinking the water when she added he vitamins to it.
I encourage feeding veggies and little meat morsels BUT you HAVE TO make sure they are not cold from the fridge or moldy bc this will almost certainly line your little guy up for wettail. I used to take Button's vegies and fruits out 2-3 hours before supper time and by then they would be alright for hiding.

Tags
new chinese hamster