OMG. I saw the pups!!!!!!! <3 - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Gerbil & Hamster Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all things gerbil or hamster related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 37 (permalink) Old 07-03-2009, 06:04 PM Thread Starter

OMG. I saw the pups!!!!!!! <3

Last night I moved around my Campbells bin cage.
They had two grass huts but they chewed the roofs off, so i pushed them together and created one giant hut. _

I heard Ramen grunting for a while after that last night, shes been doing this often since her pregancy and I was sure it was just her beating her husband Herzbolten up...she does it a lot.
So i shrugged it off.

JUST NOW. I went and opened the cage to put in food and so forth. I noticed the huts roofs were misaligned so I moved it. When I did I saw my girl Ramen...but there was something red and squirmy beneath her. A PUP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Im not sure if shes just started giving birth now or if she gave birth last night! The blood on the bedding is still wet and fresh, i think i may have interupted her birthing!

I hope i didnt scare her! I was expecting another week before she gave birth, she wasnt that big at all. The again, Ramen is the runt of her litter so...HMM.

I let you guys know what happens and Ill keep a camera at hand!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 37 (permalink) Old 07-03-2009, 06:55 PM
Part of the Pack

wow, that must have been a huge surprise! how tiny is it?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

give your love no matter what.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 37 (permalink) Old 07-03-2009, 06:57 PM
Amateur Zookeeper

aww congrats! cant wait for pics

Purr more, Hiss less

Proud Owner to:
2 girl rats~Marlie and Lola
2 male cats~Scout and Oscar
1 girl dog~Kusa

Always in my heart, my baby girls

Rest in Peace Cleo, Lucy, Snickers, Maya, and Maggie

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 37 (permalink) Old 07-03-2009, 06:58 PM

Wow, good luck! Waiting for updates.
post #5 of 37 (permalink) Old 07-03-2009, 07:53 PM

Congrats!! Hope all goes well, can't wait to see pics!

Good Luck Ramen!
post #6 of 37 (permalink) Old 07-03-2009, 08:01 PM Thread Starter

SO TINY! I think i may have been looking at 2 pups with all those squiggles~!

Im trying to get a view of the pups but if their still alive their in the hut, both parents have decided they are just gunna stay in the hut for the whole day or something.
post #7 of 37 (permalink) Old 07-03-2009, 08:04 PM
Hello Earthling

Congrats!!! You may want to take the male out though if you haven't already as they can breed right after she gives birth and it would be best to give her time to rest.

Congrats again... can't wait for pictures....

post #8 of 37 (permalink) Old 07-03-2009, 08:32 PM Thread Starter

This is probably one his last litters. i was surprised they even had this one. My males rather elderly. if i see him running out of the hut ill be sure to grab him tho. i cant get him now, hes guarding their nest XD. hes a good boy.
post #9 of 37 (permalink) Old 07-03-2009, 09:49 PM Thread Starter

I have some doggy ice cream that i distracted mommy and daddy with while i peered into the nest, I could only pull back the roof and hope the camera picked something up. I didnt want to touch the bedding because Ramen might smell my scent on the tissues. :C I got one shot...barely.

I promise to get more!

:0 THEY ARE BEAUTIFUL!! I couldn't see all of them. But I count out three wiggly pinkies. I saw maybe three from the top, there is more though!
I estimate 5-8! Ya wanna know how big they are? Do you remember those boxes of Nerds candy by wonka? Take 1 of those hideously mutated conjoined tumor ones out.
Thats roughly the size.

Ramen is wonderfully kind letting me even touch the nest. If I were her id be killing anything that came near my pinkies!
Right now its raining too. It never rains in AZ. This is wonderful. <3
They are rain babies. Im so glad I made that extra bin cage now I can keep all of them regardless of gender.

Last nights record photo of Ramens size:

PINKIES

Last edited by bokuza; 07-03-2009 at 09:52 PM.
post #10 of 37 (permalink) Old 07-04-2009, 09:40 AM

Yay for babies! I'm sure they will be just adorable when you can get a closer look. Keep us updated.
post #11 of 37 (permalink) Old 07-04-2009, 12:02 PM

Awww do you know how many there are yet?

Is it a hamster thing to not let you near the babies? I've never owned hamsters, and all my rats always let me hold the babies and mess up their nests and stuff lol.
post #12 of 37 (permalink) Old 07-04-2009, 01:38 PM
Amateur Zookeeper

aww how cute! yeah you will want to take the male out, one time with my mice, she had babies overnight and got overbred, I wondered why she was so cranky. Isn't it so cute how the males make the nest and everything? So sweet

Purr more, Hiss less

Proud Owner to:
2 girl rats~Marlie and Lola
2 male cats~Scout and Oscar
1 girl dog~Kusa

Always in my heart, my baby girls

Rest in Peace Cleo, Lucy, Snickers, Maya, and Maggie

post #13 of 37 (permalink) Old 07-04-2009, 04:40 PM Thread Starter

I did take out Herz, but after I did they both flipped out. Herz went screeching around looking for nests with pups in them and Ramen abandoned the nest in look for Herz.
After about 20 minutes of her freaking out and ignoring the pups I put him back in. All was good then, they both went back to the nest and resumed parental duties.
Despite the fact thatt yes she could end up preggo again, i think me taking him out will be the death of the pups.

I found 3 dead, it looks like they were still born or died immediately after birth. I removed them from the nest. :C
Not her fault. So the total was 7, if she didnt eat any of them. I think there would have been more blood.

But I did see four very nice, fat, and alive babies in there. _
I tired again to take pictures. I HATE MY CAMERA.
It was supposed to be a good camera for $96 bucks. BUT NOPE.
You can even control the focus on this thing. Everything is auto and crappy!
im going to ask my neighbor if i can borrow his.

Last edited by bokuza; 07-04-2009 at 05:09 PM.
post #14 of 37 (permalink) Old 07-04-2009, 05:10 PM Thread Starter

cant*
post #15 of 37 (permalink) Old 07-04-2009, 10:22 PM

If you see a little flower icon (called macro) either on the outside controls or on the inside menu, switch it on. It's a standard feature in most cameras and will make your close-up pictures sharper.