One of my gerbils died today, help needed! - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Gerbil & Hamster Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all things gerbil or hamster related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-06-2010, 01:28 PM Thread Starter

One of my gerbils died today, help needed!

I came home from work today to find one of my 2 gerbils had died. It was the black and white one, George. He had cancer as he had a growth on his scent gland, so i knew it was coming, but the other gerbil, simon the sandy coloured one has ate his tumour. Im a bit worried that would this cause Simon to develop cancer, and also, now simon is alone (2 Years Old), he is perfectly healthy, but i can tell he misses him, they were always really playful and never fought. What can i do for simon now he is on his own?

Tried to add pictures but i dont have enough posts

They shared a three storey massive cage linked with pipes to a burrowing pit.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-08-2010, 03:08 PM
Newborn Pup

Hi--I had 2 gerbils for 2 years. One died a month ago. I bought another gerbil for company --he was 9 months old. I used the split-cage method of introducing the new gerbil. They ended up in a fight where my old gerbil got badly hurt. Perhaps I should have just left the old one on his own!
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-12-2010, 12:44 PM
Adolescent Pup

First off all im very sorry!!! Its had losing a much loved pet! x
i think the best thing todo is too ask your local petshop for advice on weather you will be able too put a new friend in with him.
Best info i can give really!! If not keep asking around or look in books!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-15-2010, 09:23 AM
Paw-Talk Golden Member

Gerbils really do thrive on companionship, like rats (I have owned both) and I know your little guy is probably very lonely right now. Depression from being housed alone can affect his overall health as well. It is highly advisable that you get him a new friend and yes, you can successfully introduce a new gerbil to him. Usually a gerbil who is a bit younger can often make an easier introduction, but there are plenty of suceess stories with introducing a new gerbil the same age as your current gerbil. Have you considered local shelters? There may be a lone gerbil who needs a good home! I have used Petfinders.com in the past...it lists all animals by state and city, with pictures and info, that need homes. You can even refine your search to local zip code and type of animal. Talk with your vet if you wish and I am sure he/she will agree that a friend would be very helpful to your lonely boy.

Vlad

Proud Mom to Achilles
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and Maximus
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Play Strong and be at Peace

Wolfgang
Klausse
Mick
Keith

You will always be with me, my sweet boys. I will see you at the Bridge.

Tags
gerbil died