one of my gerbils has a broken or spranged hind leg - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Gerbil & Hamster Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all things gerbil or hamster related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-09-2006, 01:12 AM Thread Starter

one of my gerbils has a broken or spranged hind leg

my son just told me she wasn't using it, so I looked and she is limping on it. I looked it up and it said that they will recover from it in a few days. If she doesn't I will take her in , the vet said over the phone the same thing the site did. I think it is spranged because I don't feel any broken bones. Peanut is her name and she was a runt never seemed to be very robust, I am always worried about her She has a crooked tail she was born with and found out it is a genetic thing Has anyone here had a gerbil with this problem? Deana
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-09-2006, 04:10 PM

I've had gerbils with broken limbs before.
They heal up in a couple of weeks just fine, make sure to remove the wheel and anything else they could hurt themselves on or injure the leg more.
Watch for swelling.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-09-2006, 07:12 PM Thread Starter

I put up the slide to the wheel so she can climb up instead of jumping or down. can you tell me how they can break thier legs in the first place? this happened yesterday because there was nothing wrong with her the day before. Thank You.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-09-2006, 07:40 PM

Is she in a tank with older larger gerbils and they have a wheel?
I find that the most common way young gerbils break limbs, they et tossed around the wheel when a larger gerbil jumps in.
They can also break from a fall, or if they get caught in something like cage bars and fall down from climbing them.

It's best you remove the wheel completely so that she cannot run in it and further aggitate the leg.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-09-2006, 07:53 PM Thread Starter

no this gerbil is 10 months she is with a her younger sister who is 5 months old, Peannut doesn't climp on the cage wires but the younger one does. They are not in a tank so the wheel is connected to the cage. She seems to be happier today from last night she is eating and drinking ok, I keep a T Shirt over the cage so she stays warm. She is still interested with gnawing on paper plates only problem is that leg of hers. in your last post you said look for swelling and I did, it seems swollen but I can't take her to the doctor until next week, I need to get animal insurance because I never know when something is going to happen now, I am finding out that even gerbils have to go see the doctor when my puppy died I dropped the insurance now I need to get it back. Do you think she is in much pain with the leg? she doesn't show it, it is instinct for them not too
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-13-2006, 03:21 AM Thread Starter

It has been a few days now and Peanut is back to herself now, this Gebil is about 10 months old now, and she has given us so much worry she conquered this bout I hope it the last one for her. I kept her covered for about 4 days so she wouldn't get cold, I put my Tshirt over thier cage, and guess what? yep they had pulled part of it into the cage and it was in shreds and the boys on the other side of them got to it too threw it away

Tags
cage bars