Panda Bear Hamster - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Gerbil & Hamster Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all things gerbil or hamster related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 05-27-2010, 09:08 AM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

Panda Bear Hamster

I got a new Panda Bear hamster. She is so scared of humans. I was wondering what I could do to help this?

Also, it's been a very long time sense I've had a hamster, what human food,if any, can a hamster have?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 06-01-2010, 02:05 PM
Paw-Talk Addict

Is this the hamster you are wanting to breed? I just got a hamster who was already pregnant and really scared of humans and she I think ate her babies because she was so stressed. You may want to get another hamster that is calmer if you're wanting to breed. It's really stressful for them.

As far as the food, no human food, except maybe some fresh veggies and fruits (limited). A good lab block, such as Mazuri is the best thing. The seeded diets are very bad for them because they're so fattening and they tend to pick out the unhealthy part and leave the healthy part behind.

As far as taming her, I usually get one of the exercise balls and coax the hamster into it while in their cage. That way you can get them out without them feeling like you're invading their space, and also you won't get bitten if you use something besides your hand. Then I get them out of the exercise ball with my hand. They're less likely to bite outside of their cage. Then I give them a treat if they don't bite during my holding them. If they do bite, I squeal like they're injuring me and they usually stop.

I'm glad you're on here trying to learn more about caring for your hamsters, but I must urge you to go on yahoo or google search and look up hamster care info. It seems like you have a lot to learn and I'd feel more comfortable if you knew most of the stuff (like knowing teddy bear hamsters and panda bear hamsters are really just another name for syrian hamsters) before trying to breed them. You and I will both feel a whole lot better knowing that you've done everything you can to prepare yourself and make things easier on your hamster before breeding her. Good luck.

Jenny, Zookeeper Extraordinare

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Mom to:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Pooters, Gracie, Mr. Muggles McLovin It (all three Chi mixes), Angel (Lab mix), and Nina (Sheltie mix)

: Hollands: Peneloppy, Sunkist, Scooby, Toby, Timothy, and Dante; Jersey Wooly: Dini and Dana; Lionheads: Cricket, Tinsel, Missy, Mrs. Jingles, Winnie; Netherlands: Quasar, Amos, and Shutterbug; Havana mix: Colby; Fuzzy Holland Lop: Henry; Velveteen Lops: Prudence and Jude AKA Tigger

Fernando

Benny

Maverick (Bearded Dragon) and Panda (Leopard Gecko)

Lionel (Ball Python) and Arrow (Cornsnake)

Falcon, Sherbert, Razzle and Pearl (All Bettas)

RIP Arthur

Tags
hamster