Panda Bear Hamster and Teddy Bear Hamster - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Gerbil & Hamster Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all things gerbil or hamster related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-27-2010, 09:06 AM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

Panda Bear Hamster and Teddy Bear Hamster

I have a panda bear hamster and am going to be getting a teddy bear hamster soon.
I was wondering ifI had two different cages,connected by a tube, would they get along or fight each other?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-27-2010, 06:11 PM
is a little "special"

Syrian hamsters will fight to the death... So no.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"For the animal shall not be measured by man. In a world older than ours they move finished and complete, gifted with extensions of the senses we have lost or never attained, living by voices we shall never hear.They are not brethen, they are not underlings; they are other nations caught with ourselves in the net of life and time, fellow prisoners of the splendor and travail of the earth."
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-27-2010, 09:52 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

As Jess said, they'll fight. Just to let you know, "panda bear" and "teddy bear" hamsters are the same species--the names just refer to how they look (and also as an excuse for pet stores to charge more, haha). Both are Syrian hamsters, which have to live alone.

By the way, those tubes usually aren't good for Syrians. Syrians get large (for a hamster) and can get stuck. Be careful.

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-01-2010, 01:46 PM
Paw-Talk Addict

There are two different types of hamsters. Dwarfs are the smaller ones and can typically be kept in same sex pairs as long as they've been raised together. Syrians are the bigger ones and have to be seperated between 3-4 weeks of age or they WILL fight and kill. I had two Syrian hamsters when I was in elementary school and I had one of the tube cages. We divided the cage into two parts to keep them seperate, but the bigger one still got to the smaller one and took a HUGE chunk out of her side. Luckily the baby survived, but we bought a different cage right away.

Jenny, Zookeeper Extraordinare

Mom to:

Pooters, Gracie, Mr. Muggles McLovin It (all three Chi mixes), Angel (Lab mix), and Nina (Sheltie mix)

: Hollands: Peneloppy, Sunkist, Scooby, Toby, Timothy, and Dante; Jersey Wooly: Dini and Dana; Lionheads: Cricket, Tinsel, Missy, Mrs. Jingles, Winnie; Netherlands: Quasar, Amos, and Shutterbug; Havana mix: Colby; Fuzzy Holland Lop: Henry; Velveteen Lops: Prudence and Jude AKA Tigger

Fernando

Benny

Maverick (Bearded Dragon) and Panda (Leopard Gecko)

Lionel (Ball Python) and Arrow (Cornsnake)

Falcon, Sherbert, Razzle and Pearl (All Bettas)

RIP Arthur
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-01-2010, 02:09 PM
RAT ADDICT

Do not house them together.They are both Syrians with "cutesy" names.Syrians are solitary animals.

* Lisa *

* To the world you are ONE person,but to a rat you are the world *

* It's a rat thing...you wouldn't understand! *
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-10-2010, 10:29 PM
Newborn Pup

a panda bear and a teddy bear hamsters are the same thing. just different coloring.. they belong to the syrian hamster. the large size hamster family. panda is the black/white, the bear is pure black, teddy is a golden brown. and i know there are a few other color variations with their own little names. also hamsters dont do well in groups, they are solo pets(as in live solo)
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-10-2010, 10:35 PM
Headlock

I use to have Syrian hamsters and critter trails and I actually had one get stuck she stuffed her cheeks and it made it even harder to get her out or it. I honesty don't like the critter trails all they do is chew the bars.

No don't get yourself in situations,
Darling, that you can't handle.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-10-2010, 10:40 PM
Newborn Pup

i always kept my hamsters when i had one as a kid, in 20 gallon tanks(they was the long type) with a screen lid. this way they couldn't chew through it and i could re-use it for the next hamster who came along.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-10-2010, 11:05 PM
Headlock

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackjaguar082 View Post
i always kept my hamsters when i had one as a kid, in 20 gallon tanks(they was the long type) with a screen lid. this way they couldn't chew through it and i could re-use it for the next hamster who came along.
That what I used aslo but 10g after I couldn't take 12 hamster chewing the bars. =]

No don't get yourself in situations,
Darling, that you can't handle.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-12-2010, 10:56 AM
Newborn Pup

i just did the 20 gal so i could build up inside it and create alot of different activities and chew objects and ropes and all different kinds of stuff for them to do when they was awake at night.
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-25-2010, 11:40 AM
Newborn Pup

if i may ask what is panda hamster??? never heard of it.... lol lol i have a balck and white hamster if that what a panda hamster is lol lol j/k

Children & Animals are gifts from god.
To be cherished here on earth for as long as
as we are here !!!
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-25-2010, 01:28 PM
Hello Earthling

Quote:
Originally Posted by chinzilla2010 View Post
if i may ask what is panda hamster??? never heard of it.... lol lol i have a balck and white hamster if that what a panda hamster is lol lol j/k

Black and white hamsters.

post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-28-2010, 03:41 PM
RAT ADDICT

Quote:
Originally Posted by chinzilla2010 View Post
Your hamster would be called a "panda bear" hamster then by pet stores.Black and white ones are called that.But the "bear" hamsters are all Syrians.

* Lisa *

* To the world you are ONE person,but to a rat you are the world *

* It's a rat thing...you wouldn't understand! *

Tags
hamster