pebbles chewing cage - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Gerbil & Hamster Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all things gerbil or hamster related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-09-2006, 08:09 PM Thread Starter

pebbles chewing cage

hi all I know i ask soooooooooo many questions , but pebbles my syrian keeps chewing her cage is this normal is she bored , can this hurt her , how I stop, she has a metal critter trail cage with metal bars and plastic sides its pretty big dose she need more burrowing room???
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-09-2006, 11:34 PM
RAT ADDICT

Yes,this is most likely boredom.You should provide lots of toys and things for Pebbles to do and make sure you have proper chew toys for her to chew.

* Lisa *

* To the world you are ONE person,but to a rat you are the world *

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

* It's a rat thing...you wouldn't understand! *
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-11-2006, 02:17 PM
Paw-Talk Golden Member

she is bored...it wont hurt her teeth...she may also have a small cage and by chewing she may be trying to get out and do some exploring...you could also spray bitter end..or fooey..however...maybe your cages is too small and has little stimulation for her

how big of a cage do you have and what's in it?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

i will hold you forever
i will stand beside you forever
keep fighting
keep breathing
hold onto me and dont let go
NEVER let go
you are my world
make it through
i pray for you

VIXEY- March 25, 1994- October 11, 2006 at 10pm
SKRAT- October 21, 2005- January 15, 2007 at 5am
BAXTER- January 30, 2007
I will love you forever, always

Next time we meet again, it will be FOREVER

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-11-2006, 06:18 PM
RAT ADDICT

Taking her out for "free range" time in a SAFE spot is reccommended too.

Oh,and it MAY hurt her teeth.I rescued a rat that was so bored in his cage,his teeth grew all screwy and he needed frequent vet visits to have them trimmed.The people told me that and admitted he wasn't handled much.Poor thing.He was spoiled here tho and is now at the bridge.But my point is,it could happen.

* Lisa *

post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-11-2006, 07:49 PM
Paw-Talk Golden Member

By chewing a certain part of the cage...she is trying to tell you that she REALLY wants out...

i will hold you forever
keep fighting
keep breathing
NEVER let go
you are my world
make it through
i pray for you

BAXTER- January 30, 2007

post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-11-2006, 08:22 PM

Your ham-ham is bored. Unfortunately this stereotypic behavior may not be correctible if it's gone on long enough and you may have to switch to an aquarium or other solid cage. It can break their teeth, which can be fatal unless you want to hand feed them mush for the rest of their life. Different hamsters are different; some might want more handling, some might want more toys, some might want more space. The hamster I have right now has a really sweet temperament, but he's kind of claustrophobic if you can believe it - he's only happy when he can climb up high and see for a long way. Most hamsters I've had are more interested in burrowing. Just keep trying different stuff.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-12-2006, 07:32 AM Thread Starter

I have a critter trail i think its called a dazzle model , i put her in her ball and she roams around how long should I leave her to roam??? cant she getdehydrated????
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-14-2006, 06:35 PM
Paw-Talk Golden Member

lol...well if you let her roam for an hour or so...that shouldnt be a problem..till the ball stops rolling and she is asleep or so...I sometimes let my hammie out w/o a ball and monitor her as well...they dont dehydrate that fast..unless it was hot and they were outside or so..you should be fine

i will hold you forever
keep fighting
keep breathing
NEVER let go
you are my world
make it through
i pray for you

BAXTER- January 30, 2007

post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-14-2006, 07:30 PM
RAT ADDICT

Also keep in mind that hamsters are generally desert animals,so she should be fine for an hour or so running and playing without water.She would only dehydrate if away from water for a LOOONGGG period of time or if she was in sun or lots of heat!

* Lisa *

post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-14-2006, 10:05 PM
私は靖巣あなたを愛してI ♥ Yasuki

From what I know about ham hams (I have owened at least 12 in my life) They chew the bars for either attention OR the hamster do not have something else to chew on. When we were young we never had stuff for them to chew on and once we gave them 2-3 different chewing things and toys, they calmed down and rarely chewed on the bars. but I have never had a case where a ham hams teeth got ruined from it and I have had my share of Ham hams!!

// k a t ((d)) 猫ちゃん ☆~(ゝ。∂)
私は武井靖巣あなたをして

post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-14-2006, 11:44 PM

http://critterscoop.com/FAQ/FAQ_behavior_barchewing.htm

http://critterscoop.com/FAQ/FAQ_equi...msterballs.htm

Hamsters are not desert animals, actually. They live in steppes- dry, grassy plains. At any rate, they are not camels, and need water when exercising. The articles above should help a bit.
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-15-2006, 07:59 PM
RAT ADDICT

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennawing
http://critterscoop.com/FAQ/FAQ_behavior_barchewing.htm

http://critterscoop.com/FAQ/FAQ_equi...msterballs.htm

Hamsters are not desert animals, actually. They live in steppes- dry, grassy plains. At any rate, they are not camels, and need water when exercising. The articles above should help a bit.
Not to argue,but how come in every hamster book or site I have seen it says they are desert animals?

And they will not drop dead within an hour of playtime.

* Lisa *

post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-16-2006, 07:15 PM

Because Desert is easier to explain than Steppe, I suppose. Or more likely, someone said it, they were wron, and no one bothered to check and have been repeating them ever since.

The point is- a hamster ventures out at sunrise and sunset- when the dew has fallen- so any exercise a hamster would naturally get, in the process of running around gathering seeds and roots, etc. he will be drinking what water he comes by which has gathered on blade of grass, etc. A hamster simply is not made to exercise without ready water. It is not hard to let him out for a drink every 20 minutes- or stop and let him have a bit of cucumber or apple for moisture. It is not a problem to give him two shorter sessions in the ball instead of putting him in and forgetting about him for an hour.

Tags
chew toy, chew toys, vet visit, vet visits