Piper is really showing her peronality - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Gerbil & Hamster Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all things gerbil or hamster related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-16-2006, 08:27 PM Thread Starter

Piper is really showing her peronality

I got her about less than 2 months ago. I have been working w/her everyday trying to pick her up as much as she will permit.

Lately she has been letting me pick her up longer and let me carry her to her run about ball, so I decided it is about time I show her more freedom. I have been letting her cage door down and letting her come out and walk around her cage, and I pick her up and give her kisses, and she don't spazz out, and I can pick her up and bring her to my computer chair and she sits on my lap or walks around. I am so happy her and I are bonding and she can trust me know.

She is a white and black spotted syrian btw.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-17-2006, 04:08 AM

aww... thats cute I was able to pivk mine up immediately I guess she was held when a baby, when I got her she was about 3 months old. Skittles my male get him the day after we got Nibbles well while he was in the petshop tank he was all alone and sleeping he woke up when we came near him and the pet store person was afraid or something to pick him up, so I reached in and picked him up no struggle at all I think he was 2 months when he we got him. He is so cute also, now I have babies galore and they were held day one and on going lol they are 2 months now Personalities are cool to figure out
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-17-2006, 08:10 AM

yea, if you pick hamsters up everyday, then they will get used to you faster.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-17-2006, 04:23 PM Thread Starter

I was able to pick up Piper right away in the petstore too, but soon as I got home I picked her up and she spazzed and I almost dropped her. I think I was able to pick her up earlier that day because they drug them at the petstores so they will get along w/there cage mates while being there.

Nibbles sounds so cute.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-17-2006, 06:45 PM

what? they drug the gerbils so they can get along with the others? I did not know that. It's disturbing to me to hear this. Maybe Skittles was drugged too, just a thought he was the little male at that time where the pet store guy was afraid of picking him up. He was so easy to get didn't run like nibbles did She ended up being caught by the tail too. I know you can't do this because Nibbles has a balled tail now because my son was not careful and caught her by the tail, the fur came off. I think it may heal over or just fall off I don't know, but he now knows he can not do that he was crying so bad he yhought he really hurt her She is my baby lol and she is very cute even with out a tail if that happens. but it will just heal over and no hair on it, I hope
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-18-2006, 04:54 PM Thread Starter

Piper is a hamster, but I think some petstores drug the animals so they get along with the other animals in there cages or tanks. Because she was so calm in the petstore, but when I got her home it was a different story.

She is such a sweetie now though. The other night my boyfriend got a little upset with her. Because a couple of times he has tried picking her up and she tries to bite him or does bite him. I had to explain to him that he is putting his hand in her cage and she is just being protective in her home and she will bite when in this scenario. After I let her come out of her cage, and he tried to pick her up again and she was fine and did not try to bite him. So he is now willing to give her more of a chance. He is just sensitive, and is so loving and was kind of offended that she tried to bite him, when he is really trying with her.

She is also very awnery. You will be doing the dishes or cleaning something in the kitchen and she will try to trip you with her run about ball, or you will be sweeping something up and she will run through the area you are trying to sweep up. It is kind of funny, because it shows her intelligence, and that she knows she is messing with us and she has a funny sense of humor at the same time.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-19-2006, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittlePaws
.... I think I was able to pick her up earlier that day because they drug them at the petstores so they will get along w/there cage mates while being there.
i didnt know that either, maybe it was also that she was drugged when you picked her up and she was calm mreanwhile and then when the drug wore off she spazzed out....

Tags
cage mate, pet store