Pipi!! - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Gerbil & Hamster Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all things gerbil or hamster related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-12-2009, 01:42 AM Thread Starter
Zippy Chickenshorts

Pipi!!

Hello everyone! It's been quite a while since I have done a thread. My last thread was when I was telling you all that my gorgeous Valentine had passed away I have missed him sooo much, and I was finding it hard to live without the company of a hamster. So two weeks ago I went to Pets at home and got a brand new cage from there. I looked at the hamsters, one of which bit me and the others jumped really high every time you touched them so I didn't want any. Than, on the day after, we went to Staples garden centre, which has a little Pet shop in it. Well, the people there breed their own hamsters, but they had none in until Last friday. I looked at the males because I wanted a male hamster, but the all hissed, skreeched and beared their teeth at me. So I didn't want one, however, while the females were there, I said I'd have a look. The first female got out of bed and she let me stroke her and she was calm and she sniffed me. She was great. So, as the first hamster which I think liked me in a way, I took her
I've named her Pipi because she reminds me and my Mum of a Pipistrelle Bat because of her colours and how/where she sleeps, she trys to sleep in the small space between the bars and the wheel in her cage lol.
She's brilliant, she hasn't bitten me at all, or even threatened to, she doesn't mind being picked up and the next step is having her out with me, but I want to keep building up the trust.
There is one problem however; She has some very bad diarrhea, I know it could be because of her diet change and she's been separated from her mum and moved around a lot and now she has to settle in. So, how long will it last and what can I do to help her? Also, she is my first ever female rodent, so what happens when she goes into heat?
Thanks in advance!
xxxxx

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Pipi my hamster
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Rayray
Chico-Rico
Cappuccino my ratties

RIP Arthur 10/04/08-22/11/09
RIP Pepper 13/01/08-15/03/10
RIP Husky 10/04/09-20/03/10
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-12-2009, 02:45 PM
Hello Earthling

Congrats!

post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-13-2009, 01:42 AM Thread Starter
Zippy Chickenshorts

Thanks
I might re-do this thread when I've got pictures of her. No one seems intrested at the moment LOL.
xxxx

Pipi my hamster

Rayray
Chico-Rico
Cappuccino my ratties

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-13-2009, 11:48 AM
Paw-Talk Golden Member

Haha, yes, I was waiting for pics!!

Maureen

Six new rats
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-13-2009, 02:44 PM Thread Starter
Zippy Chickenshorts

Okay, thanks
For now though, could you tell me what happens when a female hamster goes into heat, because I can only find that they go into heat every 4 days?
Thanks

Pipi my hamster

Rayray
Chico-Rico
Cappuccino my ratties

post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-14-2009, 08:07 AM

Congrats on the new hampster. I'm not sure of the signs, but I did find this answer: "One way is to gently but firmly run your finger along her back. If she sort of brings her body close to the ground, and "freezes" (not moving) then chances are she probably is." Hope this helps.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-14-2009, 08:20 AM
Paw-Talk Golden Member

I was hoping that someone who knew something for sure would come along, but no one has, so I'll tell you what I have read. I've only had a male hammy, so I don't know from personal experience! I read that their heat is about every 4 days, starting shortly after sundown and lasting for a few hours. She might produce a strong, musky smell during this time. The part that I'm unsure about is that some things I read said not to handle them. I would guess that it might depend on the hamster and whether she gets in a bad mood during her heat. So just be cautious and if she seems to have a bad attitude while she's in heat you might have to leave her alone.

Maureen

Six new rats
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-15-2009, 02:03 AM Thread Starter
Zippy Chickenshorts

Oh Okays, thank you. I thought it was something that lasted for a while, like a day or two lol.
We have already got a very strong bond, which has pleased me so much! She comes to the cage door and chews when she wants attention and she listen to my voice. She gets upset if I try and take her out when she isn't at the door asking though, but I know female hamsters are more terrotorial, and I don't mind. She doesn't like going anywhere apartt from my bed for a run around. I think it's because thats the first place I took her to have a run, so she thinks of my bed as a safe place to be.
When I manage to get photos on the computer, I'll start another thread. Hopefully I won't keep you waiting for to long
Thanks for your help!!
xxxxx

Pipi my hamster

Rayray
Chico-Rico
Cappuccino my ratties

post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-07-2009, 08:05 AM
I am allergic to maths

Congrats! She is lucky to have you!
Hamsters go into heat every 4 days, they can last from 3 hours up to 6 hours. Heat can start at anytime of the day but after a while she should develop a regular cycle. If she is in heat, when you run a finger down her spine she will lower her stomach, lift up her tail and freeze, this should last about 15 seconds. Like Maureen said, she may have a musky smell during this time, at the end of heat she may leave a small amount of clear discharge.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-07-2009, 08:30 AM
Movin' Up in the Pack

With Patches, I never really know other than the smell. But Sammy gets kinda irritable and snappy, has a whitish discharge that smells musky, and does the tail hike thing!! It really isn't a big deal because it doesn't last long!! And you can only smell that smell when you're really close to them!! When I first got my girls and was told about the smell, I thought the whole room would stink!!

Congrats, and please get some pics as soon as you can!!! Cant' wait to see her!!

Mandy

Happily owned by:
Baby--female calico kitty
Dale-- male black lab
Coco--male hamster
Rascal--male hamster
Mr. Squeakers--male guinea pig
Phineas--male guinea pig

RIP Patches. You were the sweetest hamster I've ever known. There will never be another like you.

RIP sweet little Bugsy. We didn't know you long, but we loved more than you could have known. Sleep sweet little one.

RIP little Sammy. Thanks for 2 and a half wonderful years! You had a long happy life and we miss you more than you know. Play hard, sweetie...

post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-07-2009, 11:18 AM

Unlike cats and dogs, rodents don't bleed when they go into heat. If you see any blood coming from her vaginal area you need to take her to a vet ASAP.
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-07-2009, 09:38 PM
Amateur Zookeeper

Can't wait to see her! Congrats!

Purr more, Hiss less

Proud Owner to:
2 girl rats~Marlie and Lola
2 male cats~Scout and Oscar
1 girl dog~Kusa

Always in my heart, my baby girls

Rest in Peace Cleo, Lucy, Snickers, Maya, and Maggie

post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-09-2009, 01:52 AM Thread Starter
Zippy Chickenshorts

Thanks for your reply everyone. I did take her to the vets last wednesday, and the vet says that Pipi might have pyrometra, which is quite a hard thing to explain, so I won't go into any detail. It's a bit more than an infection, and the vet told me not to be very hopeful, though, i can't help but be hopeful. She is on baytril- she is syringed it and she takes it better than any of my rats have ever, so she is quite an amazing lil' girl really.
She still has some discharge coming from her vagina, however, I havn't seen her pee. The vet said if the baytril doesn't work, there's nothing we can do. I hope it does work, but if it doesn't Pipi will have to be put to sleep. The vet did say I could keep her with pyrometra, so long as she is eating and drinking normally, but she isn't eating much
Wish us luck, photos soon.
xxx

Pipi my hamster

Rayray
Chico-Rico
Cappuccino my ratties

post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-09-2009, 08:17 AM
Paw-Talk Golden Member

Oh no! Poor little hammy! I'm so sorry that she's not doing well. *hugs* Good luck!

Maureen

Six new rats
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-09-2009, 02:43 PM Thread Starter
Zippy Chickenshorts

Thanks, it's a tough thing to be going through so soon after we got her, and since Valentine passed away. She just seems so lively its hard to beleive anything is wrong with her
I cleaned her cage out today and there was still blood, but not as much as there was, well, I'm hopeing that isn't my imagination. As soon as I put her in her clean cage she was eager to make a new bed, I certainly don't think she's unhappy.
Thanks for your support!
xxxx

Pipi my hamster

Rayray
Chico-Rico
Cappuccino my ratties

Tags
hamster