Please Help!Can Gerbils contribute to Respiratory issues in humans? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Gerbil & Hamster Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all things gerbil or hamster related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-02-2012, 03:59 PM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

Please Help!Can Gerbils contribute to Respiratory issues in humans?

I am new here and looking for help. I also decided to stay while reading through a few threads. I am a member to another site, so please do not hold this against me or my pets. I have asked questions and got many views and one response, two if I am extremely lucky at this other one. Anything you know, even if you don't know, can I have your support? I will give you mine as well Thank you. Ok, here it isits long Im sorry)

I know people can be allergic to an animal that has fur. My question goes a little deeper since my father has lived with animals his whole life. We had dogs and cats for many years. Before our last dog passed, we had bought a Dwarf hamster for my daughter, then within 8 months a Syrian hamster for my son, and my two gerbils. This was about two and three years ago. (I can't think of exact dates, my mind is on my father whose in the hospital-I'm sorry)

Over a year ago, my father had a bad cold/cough no fever and received a flu shot and now has been ill this entire year with constant cough,bronchitis and lung infection.(COPD) He has been in the hospital, now the 4th time since August. The Dr. asked if there is anything new in our house,mold,pets etc. He said no. We do not have mold,still have the gerbils, turtles and fish. Can they be affecting him now? I have used the same bedding,dish soap etc on them, except I added a new food to improve their vitamins a couple months back.

Also, we have used a new household cleaner and one other since October or November. My dad is trying to tell me its the cleanser, but I fear he is only telling me that so I don't have to give up my gerbs. Please help, I don't want to get rid of my babies, but if I have to I will for the sake of my dad.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-02-2012, 07:07 PM
Paw-Talk Golden Member

Could it be the bedding that your using for the animals ? I know for me with small rodents i often react to the small rodents beddings ?

~The purity of a person's heart can be quickly measured by how they regard animals ~

By Anonymous
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-02-2012, 09:25 PM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

They have always been on the Aspen-no dies or perfumes. What else could I try?

7 Gerbils= (Boys) Lightning,Eggo and the (Girls) Commit & Midnight, Leggo & Shadow,Charcoal

4 Fish tanks= Catfish, 2 Male Betta's,Tetras,Glofish and Mollies

5 Desert Turtles
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-02-2012, 10:53 PM
Paw-Talk Golden Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by furbabies View Post
They have always been on the Aspen-no dies or perfumes. What else could I try?
any type really for bedding except for pine or ceder.theres yesturdays news, eco bedding,kaytee ,carefresh, ect
Im sorry to read that he has Copd my grandfather had that in 2009 and passed away (not saying your father will) and we just found out my grandmother currently has it.

~The purity of a person's heart can be quickly measured by how they regard animals ~

By Anonymous

Last edited by Nibbler; 02-02-2012 at 11:16 PM.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-02-2012, 11:55 PM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

I do not like Carefresh, but I will try others, Thank you. I'm sorry about your loss and now the bad news about your grandmother. I know your not saying my father will pass. But, its always a possibility because of his health. I lost my mom a few years ago from a tear in here intestine. I hope your grandmother gets better.

7 Gerbils= (Boys) Lightning,Eggo and the (Girls) Commit & Midnight, Leggo & Shadow,Charcoal

5 Desert Turtles
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-04-2012, 09:49 PM
Paw-Talk Golden Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by furbabies View Post
I do not like Carefresh, but I will try others, Thank you. I'm sorry about your loss and now the bad news about your grandmother. I know your not saying my father will pass. But, its always a possibility because of his health. I lost my mom a few years ago from a tear in here intestine. I hope your grandmother gets better.
thank you, if you ever need someone to chat with about this or anything else feel free to msg me anytime.

By Anonymous
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-06-2012, 04:10 PM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

Thank you Nibbler! If you want someone to talk too I'm here as well I have switched them to the ECO (very expensive ) and the kaytee brand carefresh. So we will see what happens.

5 Desert Turtles
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-16-2012, 06:42 PM
Paw-Talk Golden Member

Sounds like a good plan! I have never heard of gerbils causing any respiratory problems in humans. Cats maybe, gerbils never.

Vlad

Proud Mom to Achilles
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and Maximus
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Play Strong and be at Peace

Wolfgang
Klausse
Mick
Keith

You will always be with me, my sweet boys. I will see you at the Bridge.