PLEASE HELP Escaped gerbil - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Gerbil & Hamster Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all things gerbil or hamster related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-15-2009, 08:48 AM Thread Starter

PLEASE HELP Escaped gerbil

My step daughter has a gerbil that we keep in a 5 gallon tank with a weighted down lid. Yesterday she cleaned out the tank right before her mom came to pick her up at 3pm. I didn't go into her room until this morning around 8 am. That was when I discovered that she never put the lid back on the tank!!! The gerbil was gone. I have no idea when it got out but it has been at most 18 hrs. I have clue how to go about locating it as there are TONS of places in our house that it could be hiding. I put a tube on the floor in her room with food in it but if the gerbil is not in her room anymore I don't know if it will know enough to go back in there. What options do I have besides removing all the furnishings from my entire house? Please help!!! Oh I forgot to mention I also have a two year old son running around the house making tons of noise and probably scaring the crap out of it as it is skittish to begin with.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-15-2009, 09:23 AM Thread Starter

update

Ok I have located the gerbil in her bedroom. But there are large peices of funiture that I can't move and everytime the gerbil sees me it bolts. I don't want to just let it run around until it eventually goes in the tube because I don't know if it will go in or not and I am worried about it chewing her clothes and toys. I have blocked off the space under her bedroom door so it can't leave her room but other than that I don't know what to do.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-15-2009, 09:52 AM
Rodentologist

Go to the local hardware store, and you can buy rat and mouse traps that are "live" traps (used to humanely catch mice and rats) and you can bait it with delicious things and then hide it underneath some of the furniture. I typically use peanut butter for escaped rodent baiting since they can't grab it and run away with it.

We are as gods to the beasts of the fields. We order the time o' their birth and the time o' their death. Between times, we ha' a duty. - Terry Pratchett.

"Men have forgotten this truth", said the fox, "But you must not forget it. You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed. - Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-15-2009, 09:52 AM
I am allergic to maths

You can smear peanut butter (A rodents favourite treat) the edge of the tube to lure her in but make sure she cant see you while you are waiting. Im glad you found her
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-15-2009, 12:34 PM
Amateur Zookeeper

We used peanut butter to lure a hamster out of a couch...looong story

It worked way better than the regular food.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Purr more, Hiss less

Proud Owner to:
2 girl rats~Marlie and Lola
2 male cats~Scout and Oscar
1 girl dog~Kusa

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Always in my heart, my baby girls

Rest in Peace Cleo, Lucy, Snickers, Maya, and Maggie

post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-27-2009, 02:13 AM
sez
Newborn Pup

the way I've always read is to prop a bucket up at an angle against a pile of books/bricks (make sure there's a way the gerbil can climb up). Put treats in the bottom of the bucket with a layer of sawdust/bedding. Hopefully the gerbil will climb up and slide down inside the bucket but be unable to escape.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-04-2009, 02:11 AM

ok this has happend to me b4. this is wat i do. first thing check and see if it can crawl underneith the door. if it can then its going to take a wihle to find. second if it cnat get under the door listen for any scratching at all. some dressers have opening under them for wires and my hampster used to hide there also check the heaters along the wall my hampster also likes to run around in them, check around the closet and any areas that are bulged up with stuff like in a corner. They hide in the smallest of spots so keep ur ears and eyes peeled and if u decide to lure use a food with a nice smell to it
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-06-2009, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sez View Post
the way I've always read is to prop a bucket up at an angle against a pile of books/bricks (make sure there's a way the gerbil can climb up). Put treats in the bottom of the bucket with a layer of sawdust/bedding. Hopefully the gerbil will climb up and slide down inside the bucket but be unable to escape.
No sawdust.. bad for the lungs and eyes.. =3

Tags
escaped, gerbil, lost