Please help my gerbil :( - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Gerbil & Hamster Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all things gerbil or hamster related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-11-2009, 10:25 PM Thread Starter

Please help my gerbil :(

I have a brown and white male mongolian gerbil, and i think his leg is broken, But i really don't know what is wrong with him, but im VERY sure that his leg is broken. He can't balance on it, or walk on it. he just drags it around. and he looks like he's in a lot of pain. his mouth is open and it looks like it's hard for him to breathe....i really hate seeing him like this .....please help me
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-11-2009, 10:32 PM
Amateur Zookeeper

I'm no vet but I would bring him to the vet to see. Good luck!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Purr more, Hiss less

Proud Owner to:
2 girl rats~Marlie and Lola
2 male cats~Scout and Oscar
1 girl dog~Kusa

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Always in my heart, my baby girls

Rest in Peace Cleo, Lucy, Snickers, Maya, and Maggie

post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-12-2009, 09:55 PM
Part of the Pack

Yeah, check online and in your phonebook for an exotic animal vet, tell them about his leg and they can hopefully get you in ASAP.

give your love no matter what.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-18-2009, 02:00 PM
Adolescent Pup

aw poor thing i have gerbils but i never heard of one that sound as i'll a that, do know how he did that to his leg, because if you have that type of wheel with bars on it he could of caught his leg while running but if dont have that type of wheel then i dont know...

hope he gets better!

R.I.P gerbil- tiger
R.I.P gerbil- Benny
R.I.P Hamster - Holly
R.I.P Gerbil- Badger
R.I.P Cat- Blacky
R.I.P bird- jem
Forever i will remeber and miss you
i miss you tocco and the other babies
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-18-2009, 04:23 PM
is a little "special"

Yeah, you definatly need to bring the poor thing to a vet!

"For the animal shall not be measured by man. In a world older than ours they move finished and complete, gifted with extensions of the senses we have lost or never attained, living by voices we shall never hear.They are not brethen, they are not underlings; they are other nations caught with ourselves in the net of life and time, fellow prisoners of the splendor and travail of the earth."
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-18-2009, 05:16 PM
the rodent lover<3

I'd recommend a Vet, BUT, My gerbil Drake broke his foot about 3 months ago. His foot was crooked and he wouldn't walk on it. We didn't take him to the vet, we isolated him and he's walking on it now. But if he's struggling to breathe, take him. Or you can give it some time.

my name is Jonni,
i'm weird for making my username
Angelica

~ one Betta, unnamed as of now ~
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-19-2009, 03:48 PM
Part of the Pack

Its not a good idea to give an animal "some time" if he/she is struggling to breathe or appears to have a broken limb. I hope you get him to the vet on time, and good luck.

post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-19-2009, 08:33 PM
the rodent lover&lt;3

Quote:
Originally Posted by marmalade View Post
Its not a good idea to give an animal "some time" if he/she is struggling to breathe or appears to have a broken limb. I hope you get him to the vet on time, and good luck.
I know, thus saying, "But if he's struggling to breathe, take him"

my name is Jonni,
Angelica

post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-20-2009, 08:17 PM
Part of the Pack

I guess I just took "Or you can give it some time" the wrong way. Either way you should take an animal to a vet right when you notice an injury like that.

post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-20-2009, 08:20 PM
the rodent lover&lt;3

Quote:
Originally Posted by marmalade View Post
I guess I just took "Or you can give it some time" the wrong way. Either way you should take an animal to a vet right when you notice an injury like that.
Key Word: "Or."
If he doesn't have the funds then he doesn't have A choice.

my name is Jonni,
Angelica

post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-20-2009, 09:04 PM
is a little "special"

If they dont have the funds, they shouldnt have a pet...

"For the animal shall not be measured by man. In a world older than ours they move finished and complete, gifted with extensions of the senses we have lost or never attained, living by voices we shall never hear.They are not brethen, they are not underlings; they are other nations caught with ourselves in the net of life and time, fellow prisoners of the splendor and travail of the earth."
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-20-2009, 10:10 PM
the rodent lover&lt;3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jess View Post
If they dont have the funds, they shouldnt have a pet...
I agree. ''If you can afford the vet.. you can't afford the pet''

my name is Jonni,
Angelica

post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-20-2009, 11:41 PM
Part of the Pack

Giving a broken leg or breathing difficulties "time" is not a good idea and should not be an option. If a person had trouble breathing or an apparantly broken leg, you wouldn't "give it time" but take that person to a hospital asap. Jess is completely right as well. This is kind of turning into a bicker and I'm wondering if its a troll thread or something anyways since the poster hasn't replied since their first post. I think we can all agree here that if you notice your animal has breathing difficulties or a broken leg, you don't wait around to see what happens, you take it to the vet.

post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-21-2009, 12:07 AM
the rodent lover&lt;3

All I did was give my opinion.
But of course, the Vet is always the first option.

my name is Jonni,
Angelica

post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-22-2009, 02:13 AM

Tell us what the vet says.

Tags
help my gerbil please