Please help, sick hamster - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Gerbil & Hamster Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all things gerbil or hamster related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-10-2010, 02:34 PM Thread Starter

Exclamation Please help, sick hamster

Unfortunately it's Sunday and I wont be able to get to a vet until tomorrow. This is my daughter's pet and I would like to be able to help him.
Max is a Russian Dwarf and is probably just under 2 years old. So, he is an older fellow. I've noticed in the last few weeks he seems to be acting older, but still taking treats ect. We have had a big cold snap for our area, and I think the hamster may not have been warm enough as this morning he is definitely not himself. We use the paper style bedding and he has a nice burrow, half his cage is covered with a towel. Water and food is changed or refilled regularly. This morning his eyes seem quite "squinty" and I did see a bit of "trash" on one of them. Possibly drainage? but it was dry. He did take treats, but did not really eat them, just tasted. Not his typical self. I believe it could be upper respiratory due to the cold weather. We have since cleaned and added more bedding and put half his cage on a heating pad for additional warmth.
I will be taking the hamster to the vet tomorrow morning, but I'm concerned that tomorrow wont be soon enough. I do not have any liquid baytril, but I do have tablets. They were prescribed to the dog, but they are relatively new. It is a big dose at 68 mg. I'd like to be able to take a very small piece and give it to the hamster and get him started on something right away. What I don't know is what is the dosage for a hamster? I'm not asking for medical advise, perse, but I do not feel we will have a fighting chance if I do nothing for him at this point. I do realize that technically he is an older guy, but he's been a very good pet and is quite the character. I think I should at least try something.
Thank you all so much for any advise or help you can offer!
Shannon Jackson
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-10-2010, 03:50 PM
I am allergic to maths

DO NOT give your hamster the dog medicine, it could kill him. Can you check the teeth, paws, butt, eyes ect... For abnormalities?
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-10-2010, 04:14 PM Thread Starter

I don't see anything out of the ordinary, other than just an unkempt appearance. Sort of how old or sick animals look with the fur sort of seperated and not smooth. He seems thin to me. His eyes appear normal now and he just stuffed his pouch with some cereal, something he was not doing earlier. We've moved him to a quieter place in the house, placed the heating pad under his cage and covered his cage with a towel to keep the cool air out. He does seem to be feeling a bit better since doing all of that. I was thinking respiratory infection, and it could still be that, but it could just be old age coupled with an unusually cold winter for us. At this point, I think it will be ok to forgo they baytril until I see the vet tomorrow.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-13-2010, 03:58 PM
Newborn Pup

sometimes if the temp is under 60 the hamster acts more slow than usual

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Pet Collection (of all time)

Dogs x2, hamsters x4,
fish (too many 2 count)
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-14-2010, 06:15 PM
Playful Pup

How did everything turn out? Is Max ok?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedEarth View Post
I don't see anything out of the ordinary, other than just an unkempt appearance. Sort of how old or sick animals look with the fur sort of seperated and not smooth. He seems thin to me. His eyes appear normal now and he just stuffed his pouch with some cereal, something he was not doing earlier. We've moved him to a quieter place in the house, placed the heating pad under his cage and covered his cage with a towel to keep the cool air out. He does seem to be feeling a bit better since doing all of that. I was thinking respiratory infection, and it could still be that, but it could just be old age coupled with an unusually cold winter for us. At this point, I think it will be ok to forgo they baytril until I see the vet tomorrow.

Tags
illness