Potential Parent has Dwarf Hamster Questions - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Gerbil & Hamster Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all things gerbil or hamster related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-02-2006, 12:47 AM Thread Starter

Hello,
So, the idea of getting a (same-sex siblings) pair of dwarf hamsters has intreagued me for months now. I'm a busy college student, so dogs, cats, rabits, etc are out of the quesiton. I've never owned a small pet before (other than fish), so I have some questions...

1- I would probably have to keep my dwarfies in my bedroom (studio "apartment," etc), how do light sleepers deal with this? Are their nocturnal noises vocal, digging, or running? Would any particular cage or accessories such as certain wheels fix this issue?

2- What are the best housing options? I'm running across mixed reviews on the plastic hamster-specific commercial ones, though I don't know which of those would be best for a pair of dwarfies and I don't want to pay for anything extravagant. Would a 10-gal aquarium be sufficient? (I hear they're the worst to clean.) Are wire cages with bars the size for mice too drafty for these ground-dwelling creatures? What do you recommend?

3- I think I read a while back about someone's dwarfie using some kind of litter box, have any of you experienced this?

4- When/if I adopt a pair, I don't want to start with the petstore variety but would prefer a pair that was lovingly bred and handled to be friendly; Anyone know of someone in the Portland, Oregon area who breeds or has a recent/upcoming litter?

5- How sensitive are they to hot and cold?

6- How often does a cage have to be cleaned to prevent a smelly cage/room (sensitive nose), and how long do you find it takes to clean out their cages?

THANKS! =) They're so darn cute, and frankly, one reason I want them is cause I thing a pet would be nice at present... sometimes the busy life of a college student living alone and studying alot can get a little (lonely). *blush* Oh, I also welcome other animal recommendations... lil white mice are cute but I think guinea pigs look kinda weird).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-02-2006, 07:34 AM

1. Hamsters are diurnal- awake at dusk and dawn, though they can also be awake in the night or the day time depending on their mood. For dwarves, a small silent spinner kept lubricated with olive oil would be about as quiet as you can get.

2. I prefer open cages- tanks or bins- especially for a dwarf as they are not always so easily tamed. Here's what I use for all my hamsters. http://www.freewebs.com/critterscoop/FAQBins.htm

3. chinchilla sand or sterilized play sand

4. hamster breeder directories-
http://dmoz.org/Recreation/Pets/Rode...ters/Breeders/
http://groups.msn.com/InternetHamste...reedernew.msnw
http://www.pets-on-the-net.com/directory/hamster/

5. Not any more than you

6. 2 hamsters- at least once a week

good luck! and early congrats!
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-02-2006, 08:26 AM

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-02-2006, 11:42 AM Thread Starter

Good info! Thanks! I forgot that I ran across the bin idea a few months ago. Anyone know any good online places to get supplies for a good deal? I can look around here but online can be SO convenient.

The bin sounds like a project, but if it is a better home, then I guess it'd totally be worth it. =P
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-02-2006, 12:11 PM

My dwarfs are active all day and night.. I was told to use Glass Aquariums, i think they are better bor bar chewing, which can lead to brain damage here is a website I found when I got my First Dwarfy
http://russiandwarfhamsters.tripod.com/ it helped me a lot
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-02-2006, 12:28 PM Thread Starter

Glass aquariums vs. bins... hmmm... Bins are more work but more space, is that the biggest trade-off?

Thanks for the initial info, by the way! =)
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-02-2006, 12:36 PM

Bin? what do you mean by that?..lol
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-02-2006, 01:18 PM Thread Starter

The other person's suggestion: http://www.freewebs.com/critterscoop/FAQBins.htm =)
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-02-2006, 03:17 PM

Ahhh.. i might switch to Bins then they look cleaner =)
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-02-2006, 06:46 PM
RAT ADDICT

Hmmmm...I never thought of bins for hamsters!I know some people use them for mice and rats.I housed mice in one before.Do hamsters jump? Would they be able to get out?

You said if people had other reccomendations to let you know...well personally I find rats better than hamsters.They are friendlier,bond with their humans,are very smart and trainable,VERY friendly and affectionate,clean and will be awake when you are.

* Lisa *

* To the world you are ONE person,but to a rat you are the world *

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

* It's a rat thing...you wouldn't understand! *
post #11 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-02-2006, 09:51 PM Thread Starter

Question

Hmmmm... I saw an absolutely adorable honey colored syrian girl at the pet store when I was browsing for supplies today... Now I'm not sure whether to go for dwarfies or a syrian. Hmmm... I like that the dwarfies have eachother for company when i'm not playing with them, though I understand the syrians to be slightly less work... hmmm... Thoughts?

(BTW- mice are cute too, but I'm not sure that I've got much interest in rats, gerbils, or guinea pigs)
post #12 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-03-2006, 04:00 AM

I would suggest getting a cage together that is appropriate for either- (maybe save buying the wheel until you decide) read up on both species, and then go meet a few hamsters and decide which one wants to come home with you.
post #13 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-03-2006, 01:09 PM Thread Starter

I'm not sure on a couple more dwarfie questions:

What feed do you recommend for dwarf hamsters? (I know they're prone to diabetes and they must avoid corn, peas, and fruit, which were in all the feeds I saw at my local pet store.)

What treats do you recommend for dwarf hamsters?

What chew toys do you recommend for dwarf hamsters?

Would dwarf hamsters like to chew on actual twigs/sticks? I have an abundance of them available. =P

Do dwaf hamsters enjoy tubes?

I like the quiet factor of the Silent Wheel but I've also heard good things about Wodent Wheels. Any tips?

Any tips on water bottles?

THANKS! I know it's alot of questions, but I appreciate it! =) I just want to be a good hamster mommy. =)
post #14 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-03-2006, 02:00 PM Thread Starter

A local rescuer has a batch of three male dwarfies that she says live peacefully together. Three same-gendered dwarfies from the same cage would live happily together in a bin, right?

Any suggestions on what to use as food for dwarfies?

PS- I'm going to make my bin tonight! Yay!
post #15 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-03-2006, 05:12 PM

>>>What feed do you recommend for dwarf hamsters? (I know they're prone to diabetes and they must avoid corn, peas, and fruit, which were in all the feeds I saw at my local pet store.)

Most people just pick out that stuff, but it's a pretty . All starches and carbs are broken down into sugars by the body. People think they are avoiding sugar, but no matter what you feed unless you feed straight meat, your hamster is getting sugar. Best thing to do is just pick out what you can- just don't obsess over it and then avoid complex sugars like in yogies or loads of sugar like lots of fruit.

>>>What treats do you recommend for dwarf hamsters?

Brocolli, celery, romaine lettuce, cucumber- lotsa stuff

>>>What chew toys do you recommend for dwarf hamsters?

like chew sticks? for their teeth? Most of my hamsters prefer the bark bites

>>>Would dwarf hamsters like to chew on actual twigs/sticks? I have an abundance of them available. =P

oh yes! just no pesticides and freeze them to kill any bugs

>>>Do dwaf hamsters enjoy tubes?

most defiitely, but I would wait until they are tame. this is my dwarf's cage- she's pretty old now (2 1/2) and deaf and blind but she still uses the tubes. She just zipped through while I was typing this LOL

[img][/img]

>>>I like the quiet factor of the Silent Wheel but I've also heard good things about Wodent Wheels. Any tips?

I have always used comfort wheels- mainly because they are cheaper and I have a lot of hamsters- but I've heard that the small size silent wheels are pretty darn close to being actually silent

>>>Any tips on water bottles?

Not really- buy cheap so you can replace it if it leaks or they make a hole in it. All water bottles eventually leak. There's more info about this on my website under 'equipment'.

Tags
chew toy, chew toys, dwarf hamster, dwarf hamsters, guinea pig, litter box, local pet store, pet store, romaine lettuce, wire cage, wire cages