Prayers and advice please - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Gerbil & Hamster Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all things gerbil or hamster related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 30 (permalink) Old 08-17-2009, 11:21 PM Thread Starter
Amateur Zookeeper

Prayers and advice please

My hamster has wet tail. I know how deadly it can be, and she had not been eating her regular food and for a fat hamster like her we could tell she was losing weight and also not drinking. We went to the pet store and the man was really helpful and actually seemed like he knew what he was talking about. We ended up buying some fizzy medicine to put in her water and some of those food blocks. One thing he said though I am not too sure about...he said that giving her carrots would help. I have heard that fruits and vegetables make it worse, so I have not given her any carrots. We took out her old food and gave her raw oatmeal and a few food blocks and she came right down and brought food to her hideout area. I am pretty sure that is already a better sign.

Poor baby was very much dehydrated and I read that dehydration kills faster than the infection itself. We filled a syringe full with the medicine. I was afraid we would have to force her to drink it, but she drank the whole thing. For about 5 days we will keep giving her medicine and water, after that I plan to give her water through a syringe just to be on the safe side. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks so much Get better Snickers

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Purr more, Hiss less

Proud Owner to:
2 girl rats~Marlie and Lola
2 male cats~Scout and Oscar
1 girl dog~Kusa

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Always in my heart, my baby girls

Rest in Peace Cleo, Lucy, Snickers, Maya, and Maggie

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 (permalink) Old 08-18-2009, 06:45 AM

I'm so sorry to hear this.
You really need a vet and quick. Most wet tail cases won't survive beyond 48 hours after visual signs. Usually, if your hamster is still alive after 5 days, they're not in the clear but they stand a better chance of survival.

When my hamster had wet tail. I was given Baytril. I gave her 2ml twice a day. She survived thankfully

You need to change the bedding at least once or twice a day. You should also be giving probiotics to help encourage the growth of good bacteria to help the immune system.

The very important thing is to keep her hydrated.

Keep us posted on her progress *hugs*

p.s. Avoid all vegetables. Only allow her access to her regular food.
post #3 of 30 (permalink) Old 08-18-2009, 01:04 PM
I am allergic to maths

Get well soon snickers! Are you sure its wet tail though? With wet tail you can smell it as soon as you walk in the door but you didnt mention anything about smell
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 30 (permalink) Old 08-18-2009, 05:28 PM Thread Starter
Amateur Zookeeper

That is one weird thing, there isn't much smell. We have been cleaning the cage every day and she has been very sleepy. She always perks up when we give her water and we did this morning, shes sleeping right now. We just keep checking on her, hopefully she pulls through. I don't know what I would do without her

We haven't gotten her to a vet yet, but I have heard that Pedialyte helps. We might try that along with the medicine we have and her new food. She seems to be eating and is a little bit more active in the evening. And yes we have been getting her lots of water! I am wondering though, can you only get the Baytril by a vet [prescription]? Thank you so so much for your advice

Purr more, Hiss less

Proud Owner to:
1 girl dog~Kusa

post #5 of 30 (permalink) Old 08-18-2009, 05:54 PM
Hello Earthling

Pedialite (unflavored,plain) should help since it is electrolytes.

post #6 of 30 (permalink) Old 08-18-2009, 06:08 PM Thread Starter
Amateur Zookeeper

Ok thats what I was thinking thanks so so much!

Purr more, Hiss less

Proud Owner to:
1 girl dog~Kusa

post #7 of 30 (permalink) Old 08-18-2009, 08:32 PM Thread Starter
Amateur Zookeeper

Also I forgot to ask, I think mice can get wet tail too? So I am concerned about it being contagious. They aren't kept in the same room, the mice are downstairs and the hamster is up, but I clean their cages with the same scrubber [with soap] so I was wondering if it would be spread...

Purr more, Hiss less

Proud Owner to:
1 girl dog~Kusa

post #8 of 30 (permalink) Old 08-18-2009, 10:18 PM Thread Starter
Amateur Zookeeper

ROdentzRule- as I cleaned her cage today, I noticed the smell... a very bad smell. Yes she has wet tail!

Purr more, Hiss less

Proud Owner to:
1 girl dog~Kusa

post #9 of 30 (permalink) Old 08-19-2009, 07:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrWoodyspets View Post
That is one weird thing, there isn't much smell. We have been cleaning the cage every day and she has been very sleepy. She always perks up when we give her water and we did this morning, shes sleeping right now. We just keep checking on her, hopefully she pulls through. I don't know what I would do without her

We haven't gotten her to a vet yet, but I have heard that Pedialyte helps. We might try that along with the medicine we have and her new food. She seems to be eating and is a little bit more active in the evening. And yes we have been getting her lots of water! I am wondering though, can you only get the Baytril by a vet [prescription]? Thank you so so much for your advice
I think it's only available on prescription although i'm not 100% sure.
I don't think that mice can get wet tail but they can get a simular problem i think. It's best to wash your hands after handing snickers every time before touching any other pet, just to be on the safe side.
Wet tail is highly contagious
post #10 of 30 (permalink) Old 08-19-2009, 01:33 PM Thread Starter
Amateur Zookeeper

Okay thanks, I was just so scared and I washed for like 5 minutes!

Purr more, Hiss less

Proud Owner to:
1 girl dog~Kusa

post #11 of 30 (permalink) Old 08-23-2009, 09:50 PM Thread Starter
Amateur Zookeeper

Snickers seems to be acting a lot better, she isn't as lethargic and she is more alert which is a good thing. Her behind still seems a bit gross...but we have been keeping her hydrated and that is really what is helping. The medicine didn't really do much because it has 6 days worth of medicine and today is day seven. So we bought another one haha. Hopefully she will finally get better after these days, but who knows! I will try to get some pictures later, when she gets her medicine.

Purr more, Hiss less

Proud Owner to:
1 girl dog~Kusa

post #12 of 30 (permalink) Old 08-23-2009, 10:04 PM
Movin' Up in the Pack

Aww, poor Snickers. I hope the little baby-girl gets better soon. Fortunately, (knock on wood) I have never had to deal with wet tail, but I'm terrified of it! It sounds terrible! Let us know if she continues to improve!! *hugs*

Mandy

Happily owned by:
Baby--female calico kitty
Dale-- male black lab
Coco--male hamster
Rascal--male hamster
Mr. Squeakers--male guinea pig
Phineas--male guinea pig

RIP Patches. You were the sweetest hamster I've ever known. There will never be another like you.

RIP sweet little Bugsy. We didn't know you long, but we loved more than you could have known. Sleep sweet little one.

RIP little Sammy. Thanks for 2 and a half wonderful years! You had a long happy life and we miss you more than you know. Play hard, sweetie...

post #13 of 30 (permalink) Old 08-23-2009, 10:10 PM Thread Starter
Amateur Zookeeper

Thank you so much! I wished I didn't have to see wet tail either, it is nasty stuff and hard to get rid of. This is only my second hamster I can't believe she got it. I hope you never have a hammie get it! I will for sure keep updating!!

Purr more, Hiss less

Proud Owner to:
1 girl dog~Kusa

post #14 of 30 (permalink) Old 08-24-2009, 02:54 AM
I am allergic to maths

Glad shes doing better!
post #15 of 30 (permalink) Old 08-24-2009, 06:08 AM
Rodentologist

The medicine they sell over the counter for wet tail is useless. It's actually worse than useless because it keeps people from taking their poor hamsters to the vet to get proper medication! It may actually cause them to be sicker as it is a derivative of tetracycline (in most cases), which shouldn't be used with hamsters, they are sensitive to it like guinea pigs are.

Baytril is a prescription antibiotic, and that's what your hamster needs. I wouldn't waste more money on that junk from the pet store. I'm amazed that she's lived this long!

We are as gods to the beasts of the fields. We order the time o' their birth and the time o' their death. Between times, we ha' a duty. - Terry Pratchett.

"Men have forgotten this truth", said the fox, "But you must not forget it. You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed. - Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

Tags
wet tail