Pregnant dwarf, what to look for? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Gerbil & Hamster Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all things gerbil or hamster related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-09-2006, 02:06 PM Thread Starter

Pregnant dwarf, what to look for?

I just bought an adorable albino russian dwarf, but the petstore kept the males and females togther. Now, I don't know if their were all females in the albino tank, but i think that's a little unlikely, infact, there's a big chance she might be with babies, yes? Just in case, can anybody tell me what to look for?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-09-2006, 04:55 PM

The gestation period for campbells (assuming it's a campbell since it's the most common and comes in albino) is 18-21 days. She'll get a bulge in her belly, like she swallowed a ball, when she's about to give birth (couple of days before). You should not touch the babies till they open their eyes, which is at around 14 days. Hmmm... I'd say you count the days since you got her and look out for the bulge in the belly... that's about it.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-16-2006, 06:47 PM Thread Starter

Ok, thanks ^_^ I've been afraid to hold her because I heard they got aggressive when pregnant (and they're already known to be an agressive species!) But she's just so sweet, hardly evil at all.=)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-16-2006, 09:54 PM

Lightbulb

12 of my 14 dwarfs are very tame. The pair that is not I just don't have time to handle enough.

I am not sure how obvious a pregnant dwarf will be; maybe not so at all. Doesn't matter. What will be will be. The babies will end up very tame, and dwarf groups are great fun.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-16-2006, 11:34 PM

I have 3 dwarfs now. Murray my Chinease Dwarf. Now i have 2 rescues that I have adopted from Pets Mart. The one was returned the kid didnt want it, and the other was attcked by another. The reason I got them. Im their Vet Tech my office sees ALL the pets before they are sold. So i have 2 females. Buttermilk & Hoppers Savanna! One is a brown & White Dwarf Russian- she was returned the kid didnt want her, she bit, and she was impregnated by his other hamster about to POP in a few days, and the other is Hoppers Savanna a Russan Dwarf.

Both HS and Murray are Campbells. MURRAY IS NEUTERED!!!!!!

lolz! They all bit when i got them. Buttermilk is the WORST! but they very sweet and funny!
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-22-2006, 09:09 AM Thread Starter

NEWS EVERYBODY, I feel a buldge in her tummy, babehs!!!! <3 She seems a little skitish, but I just got her, could just be tempermental.
But..shouldn't she have had the babies already? I got her around janurary 9..

AND I didn't see the buldge, only felt it, so maybe I'm just having too much wishful thinking =\ but it's hard to find chubbiness on a dwarf, they're ALL chubby X3

Last edited by Fubie; 02-22-2006 at 09:18 AM.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-23-2006, 02:06 AM Thread Starter

myep

I'll go ahead and blather on, X3
Her water intake has increased, she's downing nearly 2 oz of water in a day, a rat drinks four and is much bigger then a little hamster, is this normal?? Her diet consists of grains and seeds and pellets so maybe it's because of a dry diet, but then again I feed her the exact same thing as the petstore did and she didn't drink so much when I got her.
I checked her stomach and didn't realy feel any lump although there is a slight buldge, which could be due to lotsa yummy food, she's still a little skittish, how hard does a dwarf bite anyway?
*edit*
Nah, it's been to long since I got her, too bad though =\

Last edited by Fubie; 02-23-2006 at 02:09 AM.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-23-2006, 04:29 PM

Yeah, it's been too long, snce you got her for her to be pregnant. However, I would look into that of her drinking a lot of water. Dwarf hamsters are prone to diabetes, and one of the signs of diabetes is increase water intake. Avoid giving her any sweets, and if I were you, I would call a rodent savvy vet, so he can give you some other signs to watch for in the case of diabetes.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-23-2006, 05:54 PM Thread Starter

<.<

<__< *runs to take out the treats she just put in*
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-24-2006, 12:15 AM

I would have your vet look at her for 1) Thyroid issues or 2) diabetes. If you dont want to spend the money you need to feed dry pelleted hamster foods only. lots of veggies, no fruits, and no seeds.
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-24-2006, 07:29 PM

some hamsters can actually hold off the fertilization of eggs and get pregnant later turkeys too

Tags
dwarf hamster, dwarf hamsters, gestation period, hamster food, vet tech