Pregnant Syrian Hamster? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Gerbil & Hamster Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all things gerbil or hamster related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 55 (permalink) Old 05-11-2010, 04:00 AM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Addict

Pregnant Syrian Hamster?

If you don't want to read the whole background story, scroll down for the purpose of the post. Thanks.

Ok, I PROMISE this wasn't another impulse buy. I saw this hamster over a month ago when I got my two boy ratties and I fell in love with her, but I said, "No, you don't need another animal. You're already getting two new ratties. Just walk away." I went back to the pet store today to get a new food dish for my ferret because he kept knocking his other one over, and she was STILL there! She came over and greeted me by the aquarium glass and well... same ol' story and now I have another friggin' animal.... but it wasn't on impulse... really. I actually thought about it at the pet store for almost an hour and a half before making the purchase. She looks exactly like a hamster I had when I was in first grade. Her name was MaryAnne. I haven't named this one definitively yet, but I'm leaning towards Daisy.

Anyway, long story just to get to the point. At the pet store I thought she just looked bigger because she's older than the other ones. The lady at the store said she's about a month older than the others. Because she's not an "usual color," she always got passed up on over the other "prettier" ones. Since I've gotten her home and in a cage by herself where she's sat still for more than two seconds I'm noticing just how big she is. When she sits with her back facing me, she's quite a bit bigger around the belly area and her back almost looks flat. She's definitely not ready to pop though. When she runs in the wheel (she has one of the enclosed plastic ones with the holes in the side), her belly hangs out through the holes as she's running.. either way I'm thinking she needs a bigger wheel. Also, what I assume are her breasts seem really swollen. The ones behind her front legs are just hanging there. Is that normal for females in general? I don't think I've had a female since MaryAnne died.

What do I need to be doing for her in case she is pregnant? She's in a wire cage with really close wire spacing (I can and have put baby mice in this type of cage and they never got out). I'm using Yesterday's News litter currently, but I bought the walmart brand Carefresh tonight. Can I put that on top of the Yesterday's News litter? I'm feeding her Mazuri lab blocks for hamsters/gerbils. I'm also feeding rolled oats because she had a bit of loose stool after we got home (not wet tail, but I wanted to nip it in the bud just in case). I'll only do the oats for 2-3 days and see if it stops. I've read scrambled eggs, cheese and dog food are good to give for extra protein towards milk production. Is that correct? Anything else I need to know? Thanks.

Jenny, Zookeeper Extraordinare

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Mom to:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Pooters, Gracie, Mr. Muggles McLovin It (all three Chi mixes), Angel (Lab mix), and Nina (Sheltie mix)

: Hollands: Peneloppy, Sunkist, Scooby, Toby, Timothy, and Dante; Jersey Wooly: Dini and Dana; Lionheads: Cricket, Tinsel, Missy, Mrs. Jingles, Winnie; Netherlands: Quasar, Amos, and Shutterbug; Havana mix: Colby; Fuzzy Holland Lop: Henry; Velveteen Lops: Prudence and Jude AKA Tigger

Fernando

Benny

Maverick (Bearded Dragon) and Panda (Leopard Gecko)

Lionel (Ball Python) and Arrow (Cornsnake)

Falcon, Sherbert, Razzle and Pearl (All Bettas)

RIP Arthur
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 55 (permalink) Old 05-11-2010, 04:04 AM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Addict

I just wanted to add that she just climbed the side of the cage and I saw that both rows of teats are very pronounced. She also has decided to build a nest, but I know that doesn't always mean anything.

Mom to:

Pooters, Gracie, Mr. Muggles McLovin It (all three Chi mixes), Angel (Lab mix), and Nina (Sheltie mix)

: Hollands: Peneloppy, Sunkist, Scooby, Toby, Timothy, and Dante; Jersey Wooly: Dini and Dana; Lionheads: Cricket, Tinsel, Missy, Mrs. Jingles, Winnie; Netherlands: Quasar, Amos, and Shutterbug; Havana mix: Colby; Fuzzy Holland Lop: Henry; Velveteen Lops: Prudence and Jude AKA Tigger

Fernando

Benny

RIP Arthur
post #3 of 55 (permalink) Old 05-11-2010, 09:25 AM
Movin' Up in the Pack

Sounds like a Mommy-to-be!!! I bought a prego hamster too without knowing it!! Right before delivery, she was so huge her poor back seemed to bow and her sides bulged way out!! I felt so sorry for her!!! I ended up keeping one of her babies-pics are in my profile!! Anyway, I was told to give her wheat bread soaked in fat-free milk and to mix wheat germ with her fresh foods and also tofu is very good for her! All this is really good for the babies when they are old enough to eat as well!! Other than that, just make sure she has plenty of tissue or other nesting material and plenty of food for her to stock up on!! Once she makes her nest, don't disturb it, it's probably getting close to "D-day"!!! Don't mess with the babies either as this will cause her to abandoned them. That was the hardest thing for me! I was told to remove the wheel when she gets close to delivery and to keep it out until the babies are big enough to safely run on it. If I think of anything else, I'll post it, or if you have any other questions please ask!! If I don't know right away, I'll find out!!!
As for bedding, I use Aspen all over and Kleenex Ultra Soft--NO lotion or anything-for nesting. That's what Patches used during her pregnancy and delivery as well.
BTW, I love the name Daisy!!! Good luck!!!

Mandy

Happily owned by:
Baby--female calico kitty
Dale-- male black lab
Coco--male hamster
Rascal--male hamster
Mr. Squeakers--male guinea pig
Phineas--male guinea pig

RIP Patches. You were the sweetest hamster I've ever known. There will never be another like you.

RIP sweet little Bugsy. We didn't know you long, but we loved more than you could have known. Sleep sweet little one.

RIP little Sammy. Thanks for 2 and a half wonderful years! You had a long happy life and we miss you more than you know. Play hard, sweetie...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 55 (permalink) Old 05-11-2010, 11:56 AM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Addict

Can it be freeze dried tofu, or does if have to be fresh from the market? What would it be located near at the store? How much should I give? I also heard sunflower seeds are good. Is that true?

She made a beautiful nest last night, but I had to destroy it because it was under the water bottle! She's obviously an inexperienced mom. I put something in that corner so hopefully she won't make it there again. It was just soaked. I'm glad she didn't give birth last night. They probably would've all died in that nest. I use to buy my hamsters nesting material that was like aspen, but it was long and stringy (but stiff so it wouldn't entangle the babies). It made it look more like a natural nest. Is that okay to use if I find it again?

So should I go ahead and take the wheel out? I still think she's probably at least a week away, just from what I know of a few other accidental litters I had. She doesn't look ready to pop yet, but it could just be (and I'm hoping) a small litter. If it's three or less, I'll just keep them all probably. Otherwise, I'm going to start a small animal rescue on Petfinder and list them on there. I won't be able to take any animals in, but I can at least list them under my rescue name for people needing to rehome critters or redirect them to other local rescues who may be able to take them. I know the administrators of the guinea pig rescue in Sellersburg, IN and also another small animal rescue in Lexington, KY.

She's still very timid. Everytime I pet her, or if I get too close to the cage sometimes, she screams at me. She hasn't tried to bite me though, so that's a good sign. I figured it may be hormonal stuff too. At the pet store when she was with the other hammies she was braver. I did check to see if any in that tank were male and I didn't see any, but that doesn't mean they didn't seperate them too late or that there wasn't one in there.

Mom to:

Fernando

Benny

RIP Arthur
post #5 of 55 (permalink) Old 05-11-2010, 01:46 PM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Addict

Pictures

Mom to:

Fernando

Benny

RIP Arthur
post #6 of 55 (permalink) Old 05-11-2010, 02:11 PM
Movin' Up in the Pack

OMG!! She looks identical to the baby I kept, only he's a boy!! Patches, the mommy, was very irritable about a week before too!! She had the strangest noise-almost like a duck quack or squawk!! As soon as she delivered she became the sweetest most lovable hamster I've ever owned!!! That bedding sounds okay, as long as it isn't pine or cedar. The tofu at my Walmart is located in the produce section where the chinese-type veggies are. I honestly don't know about freeze dried, I actually didn't even know they had it! LOL As for the wheel, unless you're afraid she might get hurt on it due to her size, I'd probably wait until she had the babies to remove it! I never really knew why I was told to take it out so early!! Patches made her nest in a terrible spot at first too, and I had to destroy it so she'd move it!! She was a baby herself--got pregnant in the pet store But she was an awesome momma!!! I was hoping for a small litter too. Before I left for work, there were 3, when I came home there were 10!! Two of them died though, not sure exactly why, but I suspect the daddy may have been a brother of Patches. The two that didn't make it had some deformities and "incest" was suggested to me by another forum! Sad...
Eeep!! I'm excited for you!!! I absolutely fell in love with Patchy watching her care for her babies!!!

Mandy

Happily owned by:
Dale-- male black lab
Coco--male hamster
Rascal--male hamster
Phineas--male guinea pig

RIP Patches. You were the sweetest hamster I've ever known. There will never be another like you.

RIP sweet little Bugsy. We didn't know you long, but we loved more than you could have known. Sleep sweet little one.

RIP little Sammy. Thanks for 2 and a half wonderful years! You had a long happy life and we miss you more than you know. Play hard, sweetie...

post #7 of 55 (permalink) Old 05-11-2010, 02:13 PM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Addict

So do you think she looks pregnant?

Mom to:

Fernando

Benny

RIP Arthur
post #8 of 55 (permalink) Old 05-11-2010, 02:17 PM
Movin' Up in the Pack

I think she does!! I'm trying to see if I have a pic of Patches pregnant, but yeah to me she does look pregnant!!

Mandy

Happily owned by:
Dale-- male black lab
Coco--male hamster
Rascal--male hamster
Phineas--male guinea pig

post #9 of 55 (permalink) Old 05-11-2010, 02:18 PM
Movin' Up in the Pack

If you pick her up, does she stretch out or bulge? If she bulges and her nipples are pronounced, I'd say def. prego!!

Mandy

Happily owned by:
Dale-- male black lab
Coco--male hamster
Rascal--male hamster
Phineas--male guinea pig

post #10 of 55 (permalink) Old 05-11-2010, 03:46 PM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Addict

I don't know. She screams anytime I touch her, think about touching her, look like I want to touch her or if she just feels like it. I sneezed earlier right next to her and she screamed for a good 35 seconds. When she climbs the bars, she looks pudgy, but not stretched and you can definitely see the two rows of nipples sticking out. They look like sand dunes, for lack of a better explanation. They're elevated in a long strip on both sides from right behind her front legs, all the way down towards the back and the nipples themselves are very pronounced. I was thinking about going back and getting a siamese gerbil I saw at the pet store yesterday, but I think I need to just chill and see what happens with her. If I can't find anyone to take the babies, I'm going to have to find a way to keep them. She's my responsibility, therefore these babies are now my responsibility, even if I didn't breed her. I'm going to call her Scarlet.

I'm worried her cage may not be baby friendly. It's got wire all the way down to the floor on the sides (not on the bottom) and I'm afraid they'll get their heads stuck. I have the option of getting a critter trail or putting her in an aquarium. I'd prefer the critter trail so she'd get some more privacy and because she likes the tubes, but I'd be able to see them better in the aquarium. Would they be able to chew out of the critter trail?

Mom to:

Fernando

Benny

RIP Arthur
post #11 of 55 (permalink) Old 05-11-2010, 05:41 PM
Movin' Up in the Pack

I use "bin cages". They are large plastic tubs sold at walmart, then I made the lid--very easy and quick to do. I have six for three hamster!! 2 cages each-spoiled little brats! LOL
I'm almost certain you have a pregnant hamster!! I died laughing at screams at you description!!! I so remember Patches being like that-anytime I came near her!! But since giving birth a year and a half ago, she has screamed maybe twice!!! She is so precious now!! I'll post a link on the bin cages if you're interested in taking a look!

Mandy

Happily owned by:
Dale-- male black lab
Coco--male hamster
Rascal--male hamster
Phineas--male guinea pig

post #12 of 55 (permalink) Old 05-11-2010, 05:52 PM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Addict

I actually had the bin cages before. The problem is I need help drilling the holes and I kind of, sort of, maybe did sneak her in here, so it's gonna have to be something store bought. Dad keeps his tools locked up.

Mom to:

Fernando

Benny

RIP Arthur
post #13 of 55 (permalink) Old 05-11-2010, 05:53 PM
Movin' Up in the Pack

http://www.hamstercentral.com/wiki/H...ustom_bin_cage!

that's a pretty good site for one! Here are mine:
Coco's:

Top of Patches':

Sammy's:

Patches':

I found pics of Patches from the day I got her, but she wasn't far enough along to see how miserably huge she got!!!

Mandy

Happily owned by:
Dale-- male black lab
Coco--male hamster
Rascal--male hamster
Phineas--male guinea pig

Last edited by LuvPets; 05-11-2010 at 05:56 PM.
post #14 of 55 (permalink) Old 05-11-2010, 05:55 PM
Movin' Up in the Pack

Oh!! LOL I don't know much about store bought cages, never had one!! Every one I looked at was so expensive so that's why I went with the bins!!

Mandy

Happily owned by:
Dale-- male black lab
Coco--male hamster
Rascal--male hamster
Phineas--male guinea pig

post #15 of 55 (permalink) Old 05-11-2010, 06:02 PM
Movin' Up in the Pack

How bout something like these?

http://animalsandmore.net/wp-content...mster-Cage.jpg

http://www.pet-bliss.ie/acatalog/FOP...LargeImage.jpg

http://www.zooplus.co.uk/bilder/1/13...abitrail_1.jpg These are really good to build on to!! You can end up with a huge cage!!

Mandy

Happily owned by:
Dale-- male black lab
Coco--male hamster
Rascal--male hamster
Phineas--male guinea pig

Last edited by LuvPets; 05-11-2010 at 06:05 PM.