prego hamster???? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Gerbil & Hamster Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all things gerbil or hamster related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-28-2009, 08:16 PM Thread Starter

prego hamster????

heylo everybody i believe about 86.5% that my female dwarf is pregnant im kind of excited and kind of mad since i just bought her about 10 days ago she is very very plump around her mid section however she wasnt that big when i got her she was a tiny itty thing that is really the only clue i have i know its doesnt mean alot but she isnt all that active and she is always and i mean always making her nest that much better and the food is gone in 5 mins after i put it in only to bring it to the nest pretty nippy lately to were i put gloves on to touch her but i have decided to just leave her alone for a few days and see what happens she was a rescue found outside so i figured from the time she was found about 14 days ago to now she should give around october 2-6ish well hopefully all ges well any advice will be awesome thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-29-2009, 08:37 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

She was found outside? Poor baby .

Anyways, if she is pregnant just make sure she gets plenty of protein and has a stress-free environment (so don't handle her too much). When she gets closer, take out the wheel (babies can get injured from them). Good luck!

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-30-2009, 11:19 AM Thread Starter

than you i knew about the protien but not the wheel interesting it will come out today i figure tonight might be the night it would put it at 18 days though so we will see she was found inside a 10 gal tank on the side of the road with like 12 others in the same tank (boys and girls)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-30-2009, 05:57 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Yeah, what can happen is the babies will climb around and sometimes get caught in the wheel. Or they'll crawl under it and mama will run on it, crushing the babies.

Poor babies! I wish I could say I was surprised but that kind of stuff happens all the time .

Good luck with her and keep us updated!

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-01-2009, 11:18 AM Thread Starter

no babies last night still waiting however something was surprising me last night when i went to take out her wheel she was actually using it she was like a speed demon on that thing definetly not like the past couple days do they get more active the closer they get to give birth or is she just not pregnant hmmmm and protien rich foods does would tofu be good?
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-01-2009, 01:06 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

I'm not sure but I've seen a lot of animals that were pregnant and still running around like a maniac .

I would try more animal-based proteins to get closer to a natural diet. Feeder insects, high-quality dog food/biscuits, eggs, and cooked chicken would all work great .

~Stephanie

post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-06-2009, 11:52 PM
Amateur Zookeeper

Updates? Has she had them yet? I would love to see picturesss!

Purr more, Hiss less

Proud Owner to:
2 girl rats~Marlie and Lola
2 male cats~Scout and Oscar
1 girl dog~Kusa

Always in my heart, my baby girls

Rest in Peace Cleo, Lucy, Snickers, Maya, and Maggie

post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-08-2009, 06:51 PM Thread Starter

No Babies :-(

no momma had no babies i was hoping for some towards the end so im upset she didnt have them darn it oh well i guess she just got fat quick the 6th was the last possible day it was about 23 days from the day she was seperated from the males so i cant imagine it taking any longer than that she is still on watch though i had a dwarf that started to give birth exactly 31 days after i brought her home but she didnt make it and the first baby never fully made it out imagine looking in the cage and not only seeing your hamster dead but a baby sticking halfway out of her it was horrible and i still see it in my head from time to time

Tags
dwarf, hamster, pregnant?