Question About Introducing Gerbils - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Gerbil & Hamster Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all things gerbil or hamster related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 10-16-2009, 02:29 AM Thread Starter

Question Question About Introducing Gerbils

Hi there!

I'm a proud of owner of two gerbils- Gilbert the albino gerbil and Gilligan the black gerbil. Recently I have upgraded their home and it HUGE. So huge that it seems a little empty at times :/ Anyway, to get the point, I was wondering if anyone has had success in introducing 1 or 2 gerbils to another pair of gerbils. My two gerbils were introduced to each other when Gilbert was a month older than Gilligan. In fact, the day I adopted Gilligan and brought him home, I went ahead and put Gilbert and him in a large box to see how they react. It was friendship after a few sniffs and running away from each other just to meet up to sniff again. They cuddled up and went to sleep after being put back in their home after Gilligan explored a bit. Both my gerbils are extremely nice, active, healthy, and have never bitten me or ever fought each other. Gilligan is a timid gerbil why Gilbert is more outgoing, mainly because he's the dominant one of the two, but he's still a little timid at times. Do you think with their temperament it would be possible to introduce any more gerbils to their home? I'm not stranger when it comes to introducing dwarf hamsters (Since I used to breed them not too long ago.) but I've noticed gerbils are slightly different when it comes to temperament. They're nicer, friendly and never nip, bite, scratch or anything. But I've read a few stories from people saying gerbils were killed when trying to introduce one or two to an established pair of gerbils. I can't imagine my gerbils fighting anything and I would assume younger gerbils wouldn't try to attack something bigger than them. What do you guys think? I want to expand my gerbil's colony so their new habitat doesn't look as empty, plus I know males do better in much larger groups rather than just pairs.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 10-17-2009, 03:42 PM
RAT ADDICT

I have never introduced gerbils,but have introduced plenty of rats and mice.Try intros on neutral ground first,like a bathtub or playpen.I only ever had one gerbil my whole life and she was alone her whole life,because I got her without research (bad I know...this was yrs ago!) and I assumed gerbils were solitary like hamsters.So hopefully someone else can help you with intros.

Also if your cage looks empty,whynot add some more toys and things to it? Gerbils love toys and things to do.

* Lisa *

* To the world you are ONE person,but to a rat you are the world *

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

* It's a rat thing...you wouldn't understand! *

Tags
gerbil, introducing, older, pairs, young