Question? Gerbils not Sleeping in Den Boxes - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Gerbil & Hamster Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all things gerbil or hamster related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-17-2006, 03:02 AM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Golden Member

Question Question? Gerbils not Sleeping in Den Boxes

Hi all!
I tried some research but came up with nothing...I keep reading repeatedly, in all of my gerbil care books, about gerbils liking to have a sleep den/box to have privacy, sleep, etc. I have put all number of different wood boxes and so forth in their home and while they do enjoy running in and out of the entrances, sitting on top of the boxes or just hanging inside to have a bit of private nibble time, they never ever sleep in them. My two agoutis make a big bedding pile out of their nesting materials and they sleep there...never inside any type of structure within their home/habitat. Does that happen sometimes? Just checking. Maybe they just like sleeping "outdoors" so to speak? Any thoughts?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-17-2006, 04:30 AM
RAT ADDICT

I gave my Ember wooden houses and they were chewed within 2 days, so then I tried platic and she tried to chew that.I think some gerbils prefer them to others...so you don't have to worry.So now I just put a blankie in her cage and she makes that into a nice,cozy cave thingy...

* Lisa *

* To the world you are ONE person,but to a rat you are the world *

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

* It's a rat thing...you wouldn't understand! *
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-17-2006, 06:03 AM

It could be that it is too hot in the cage to sleep inside the box, or that they simply like camping... LOL I have some that like to make a nest right in the bedding and leep there, while others like to make the nest inside the house... and even others that don't make a nest at all, just fall asleep wherever they get tired... I don't think it's something you should worry about, but keep the house there for them to enjoy. 8)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-17-2006, 07:30 PM

Out of my 9 tanks, all have wooden houses and only 1 sometimes 2 tanks actually use them to sleep in. They prefure to build large nests themselves.
So it's perfectly normal for them not to use it to sleep in.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-17-2006, 10:26 PM

I recommend getting Syrian hamster-sized hide boxes.

Some of my gerbils use the wooden gerbil-sized ones; most do not. I think they would be more prone to with a bigger box.

Some just make a big nest in the middle of the tank bottom - which is not so bad as they feel safe there!
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-18-2006, 05:07 AM

I have several gerbils 6 sets I call them and each one is different. Just like us they have thier own sleep preferences. I worried when mine went off to be by themselves I didn't like it, I thought they were depressed but they aren't. I thought gerbils wanted to sleep with other gerbils but this isn't always the case I found. I have wooden igloos right now, I have bought the little wooden houses and they slept in thosem but with those they chewed them and I found nails, I don't buy them anymore, I think that is stupid putting nails in the wooden houses knowing that little rodents will chew them down to nothing, they are lucky that I found out in time about this because I would have really gotten mad if my gerbils got hurt on that house.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-18-2006, 05:07 AM

I have several gerbils 6 sets I call them and each one is different. Just like us they have thier own sleep preferences. I worried when mine went off to be by themselves I didn't like it, I thought they were depressed but they aren't. I thought gerbils wanted to sleep with other gerbils but this isn't always the case I found. I have wooden igloos right now, I have bought the little wooden houses and they slept in thosem but with those they chewed them and I found nails, I don't buy them anymore, I think that is stupid putting nails in the wooden houses knowing that little rodents will chew them down to nothing, they are lucky that I found out in time about this because I would have really gotten mad if my gerbils got hurt on that house.

Tags
nesting material, syrian hamster